Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gap Between League 1 and 2

Getting bigger?

Swindon, Walsall, Hartlepool and MK Dons who all went down last season are filling the top 4 places in League 2.

Orient, Cheltenham, Carlisle, and Northampton came up, with Cheltenham and Orient in a relegation dog fight all season, Northampton bottom half, with only Carlisle doing any good.

Compare this with us, Scunthorpe, Southend and Yeovil who came up the season before last. Southend and Scunthorpe are up, and ourselves and Yeovil are challening for promotion.

It looks like the gap is getting bigger.

Banned
    It is getting bigger.

Banned
    I know the Carlisle heads are getting bigger - surprised they sell burberry caps that big.

doing the fandango Sgt. Serious's Avatar
    the gap is nothing.....

On our day we're just as good as alot of teams in this division, ask Carlisle fans!
    From the FA Rule Book:

Rule 5: You must not, at any time, be Paolo Di Canio. Our efforts to enforce this rule are vigorous and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Not the answer I would have given... but similar in the way that it was totally uncomplimentary.
    Educating the masses on the principles of mentalism...

doing the fandango Sgt. Serious's Avatar
    Plus if the Swindon side who got relegated came up against the Swindon side that is probably getting promoted the promotion team would win hands down
    From the FA Rule Book:

Rule 5: You must not, at any time, be Paolo Di Canio. Our efforts to enforce this rule are vigorous and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Blind & Totally Bigotted Blind Bigot's Avatar

Big Grin

While it may seem that there is an increased gulf between the League 1 & League 2, at Huddersfield Town in the past few seasons we found there was very little difference at all. In fact I thought it pretty frightening that the gap was almost non-existant.

In contrast, the gap between League 1 and The Championship seemed massive, with the major diffrence being the quality of defending. I've always said if we want promotion to the Championship we ned to b able to defend properly.

BB
    Blind & Totally Bigotted

Formerly Blackpool_O Southgate_O's Avatar
    There is a big gap. Especially in the level of finishing.

You can usually give League Two teams two or three chances a game and not be punished - do that in League One and you will find yourself a goal or two down.

Ling says there is no difference - talking out of his ****ing arse as usual.
    Agoraphobics have a fear of open spaces. As part of their therapy I take them to watch Leyton Orient.

While there is a gap i think it's much more subtle than what many think. The only real difference i noticed when we promoted into this league was that you get punished more for defensive lapses than you did in League 2.

The difference in this league is there are many better strikers who are more clinical in front of goal. I think the overall balance midfield/defence there doesn't seem that big of a difference. I think thats been our achillies heal since we got into this league ourselves we arn't clinical enough in front of goal despite usually playing well.

Last season, and the season before we finished up just below the playoffs and again this season looks like a similar story. We are as good as we've ever been across the pitch. I've harped on and on since we got into this league we need quality strikers and again i'll say it again. For any chance of promotion next season that area needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by Tas; 11th April 2007 at 08:48.

Elite League tour 2009/10
    I think this year's League 2 is unusual with relegated sides at the top - this rarely happens. Swindon, Walsall & Hartlepool will all do well in League 1 next season.

In reality there is no real difference between the bottom 8 in League 1 and the top 12 in League 2. As Blackpool O says the better teams in League 1 are more likely to punish you if you make silly errors at the back.
    Wycombe Wanderers R

For the benefit of Warlord.

Registered User FallowfieldHUFC's Avatar
    L1 is much better in every single way. The vast majority of L2 sides are complete crud, and I don't think I've seen us control so many games while we could still go up about another four gears. Most of the time we don't even have to break sweat.

That's not to say we'll struggle in this league, we should never have been relegated out of it in the first place. The majority of the squad got us to two consecutive play off campaigns here but were just so badly managed by Martin Scott last season.

Having comedown from the championship i'm probably not the best judge as I haven't seen a vast majority of league two sides....I don't expect the gulf to be that great...Scunthorpe seem to have coped alright.....

Most clubs I believe are of a similar level , only variable in terms of fan base..but as Forest have proved it doens't gain you automatic promotion.

Get the magic formula of a lanky 20 goal a season man, fans favourite in midfield , experienced journey man at the back and some promising loanees and you could easily clinch promotion in this league.

There's not a big gap in the two leagues.

on the downside, look at Stockport (ok their doing well now) but they went down one division and with almost the same side that just scraped off relegation to the Conference last season
    OWTB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DV85
    the gap is nothing.....

On our day we're just as good as alot of teams in this division, ask Carlisle fans!
    This is just it though...."On your day".

On their day, Rovers could beat us. A 46 game slog is a different matter entirely and with most of the same players you werent good enough for this league, yet are too good for the one below.

Proves the gap imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Berks_Wanderer
    I think this year's League 2 is unusual with relegated sides at the top - this rarely happens. Swindon, Walsall & Hartlepool will all do well in League 1 next season.

In reality there is no real difference between the bottom 8 in League 1 and the top 12 in League 2. As Blackpool O says the better teams in League 1 are more likely to punish you if you make silly errors at the back.
    There is - I am telling you. I think that the current top 7 sides could cut it in League One perhaps and most will have relegation battles. Any lower than that would have no hope at all.

Elite League tour 2009/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyted1
    There is - I am telling you. I think that the current top 8 sides could cut it in League One perhaps and most will have relegation battles. Any lower than that would have no hope at all.
    You are indeed a wise man. As also shown in your prediction for relegation from League 1.
    Wycombe Wanderers R

For the benefit of Warlord.

FORZA Swindon!
    not much of a gap between the top 10 in league 2 and the bottom half of league 1 i dont think. it's the smaller teams like Accy that play poor football that put the standard of league 2 down. to go up you have to scrap more for points rather than play good football. that's what we have done most of the season. to be honest the teams we have been able to play some decent stuff against have been the teams all in the top 7 really. maybe that says something
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan PVFC 1876 View Post

Swindon > Oxford. That is all.

We went down, and despite having 8 players and no manager at the start of pre season training we went straight back up, finished a point off the playoffs in our first season and 4th in our second season.
    DID YOU KNOW: We went 43 regular league games unbeaten once.

the way i see it as an on looker from the swans is the quality of finishing is better in league 1 than league 2 that is in no doubt in my opinion, the rise to the championship though there looks to be a gulf in class in defending between the championship and league 1 with colchester the best defense last year doing better than barnsley and southend who both scored and conceeded a fair few

Destination Premiership!
    The difference between League One and Two, what I noticed when we came up, was League Two was just one big scrappy battle for 90 minutes. You would need physical players, you would need commitment and any players that were scared of a battle would not go far. The quality of football was poor, and it would usually take 3 or 4 chances before you conceded a goal.

In this league (as we found out very early on in our time here with 4-1, 4-3, 5-0, and a couple of 2-0 defeats at places), you need to be more switched on, and there's more football played. There isn't as much scrapping as League Two and at times, its quality that shines through. If you switch off then ultimately you will get punished.

So, I think there is a gap, but i don't think its as massive as some people think it as. If you've got a good team in League Two (Ie: Hartlepool), then they'll come into this league and do well. When you look at the 4 teams promoted last season then for me two of them were very poor, and typical League Two teams, as opposed to the year before when 4 decent teams got promoted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information