Officially Old Skool

Organising an 11 aside football tournament

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice on organising a football tournament. Or if anyone has ever done it before.

I moved to York over 2 years ago, and after 2 years of playing sunday league football, ive foolishly decided to take over the team. But the clubs finances are a mess, and to pay the leagues fee's, affilation etc we need to raise 500 by August.

Ive decided that a fundraising/charity footall tournament could be a possibility, but am unsure if there are any hidden cost that I need to consider.

Now some of these questions may seem daft, and I apologise if any of these but Im just trying to makes sure I cover all bases.

Basically its going to be a 1 day 11 a side competition, and were aiming to to attract between 8 and 14 teams, the games will be around 40 minutes (20 mins each way). The club we play for have already said we can use the facilites (changing rooms, toilets and have 3 pitches available). Also we have 3 refs who have volunteered to do it for free.

The main things I am thinking/worried about is,

1 ) Do I have to worry about or sort insurance for the players incase of injury?
    2) As we going to be asking the teams for money is there anything to consider in terms of tax, or are fundraising events exempt?
    3) Is there anyone we need to inform that we are organising such event?
    4) are there anything by law that I need to provide for particapating teams?
    5) Anything else I may of missed?

Like I said I apologise if any of the questions seem daft, but Ive never really tried to organise something like this before.

Any info you could provide would be much appreciated.

Jamie.
    Libertine--------------Infidel--------------Charlatan

125 mediocre years of BFC Ronny_Glavin's Avatar
    By Law St. Jons ambulence HAVE to be there.

Once you've got some entries, if youre not sure about how to do the fixtures, http://www.fixturelist.com/

Phoenix 'Till I Die!
    Hi LWR,

There are a few things that you will need to consider...

1 ) Do I have to worry about or sort insurance for the players incase of injury?

In Sunday League it is the responsibility of each team to arrange for adequate insurance for their players.

2) As we going to be asking the teams for money is there anything to consider in terms of tax, or are fundraising events exempt?

As long as you are a non profit organisation then this shouldn't be a problem.

3) Is there anyone we need to inform that we are organising such event?

There is no requirement to inform anyone however you can ask your local FA if you can have your competition affilliated. This may help in attracting teams.

4) Are there anything by law that I need to provide for particapating teams?

Not sure about the law however you may want to set down some general rules for the tournament. I have some from a tournament that my team are playing in if you want to have a look.

5) Anything else I may of missed?

It's a lot to take on so be prepared to put in the work. Personally, I would have done this over a number of weeks and had proper matches and split the teams in to 2 groups with a Semi Final then a Final.

Have you thought of other fundraising events?

If you have a large group (Players + Friends and Families) going out you can get great discounts for things like bowling nights!

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by ITFC Jez; 21st July 2011 at 12:58. Reason: There is no need to 'spam' your club's website in almost every post you make. Thank you.

Thread Information