1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017-18 Russian Premier League

Discussion in 'General Worldwide Football Discussion' started by RiccardoPiccio, Oct 23, 2017.

1. RiccardoPiccio

RiccardoPiccio Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Was meaning to do a thread about the Russian Premier League for a while now, but never got round to it!

Anyhow, today's game between Lokomotiv Moscow and FK Krasnodar is the final game of Matchday 14 out of 30 in the league

Here is how the standings are at present

1) Zenit - Played 14, Points 29
    2) Lokomotiv Moscow - Played 13, Points 26
    3) CSKA Moscow - Played 14, Points 25
    4) Ural Yekaterinburg - Played 14, Points 22
    5) FK Krasnodar - Played 13, Points 21
    6) Spartak Moscow - Played 14, Points 21

Spartak have recovered from a bad start to their title defence and whilst being 8 points behind Zenit, they are 10 games unbeaten in all competitions and Zenit have had a bit of a wobble in recent weeks, losing at home to Arsenal Tula last weekend and only drawing away at CSKA Moscow this weekend. Furthermore, next weekend, Zenit host Lokomotiv in what could be a pivotal title deciding game come May, so Spartak could make further ground on Zenit should both them and Lokomotiv cancel each other out next weekend.

The surprise of the season so far is Ural Yekaterinburg in 4th place, like Rostov in the last few seasons, they are a modest club who have spent considerably little, yet are a well-run club and possess the only unbeaten home record in the league so far. The top 3 sides go into next season's Champions League from the Russian Premier League, so what an opportunity for Ural atm, especially given the slow start by Spartak and the fact that Krasnodar and CSKA have looked unconvincing all season.

Some of the star performers in the league this season include

Eric Bicfalvi (Romanian attacking midfielder playing for Ural and the second top scorer of the league so far), Quincy Promes and Georgy Dzhikiya (Two shining lights in a so far mixed season for Spartak so far, especially Promes, who imo will leave for one of Europe's top 4 leagues in the summer, he has been linked with the likes of Atletico, Bayern and Liverpool in past seasons), Aleksandr Kokorin (A man reborn at Zenit this season under the guidance of Roberto Mancini, top scorer in the league with 6 goals and is putting in good consistent performances for the first time in a long time to start to fulfill his early potential), Leandro Paredes (i think the most expensive signing in the Russian Premier League this summer, bought by Zenit at around EUR 25 million from Roma, yet having played 50 odd games over the last 2 years in a higher league like Serie A, you can tell Paredes oozes class, best central midfielder in the league so far this season. Aleksandr Golovin (one of the few shining lights for CSKA so far this season, do not be surprised to see him leave in the winter transfer window for Western Europe as CSKA's finances are in a reportedly poor state) and Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv's best player so far this season and a key component in their surprising title challenge, i can see why now the likes of Benfica and Valencia had him at their clubs in the past now with his displays this season, if Portugal did not have such a huge depth of talent at their disposal atm, i am convinced he could win a recall to the Portuguese National Team, that is how well he has been playing).

2. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 FK Krasnodar

The midfield double act of Manuel Fernandes and Alexey Miranchuk with the goals as Loko beat Krasnodar comfortably and go top of the Russian Premier League based on having a higher number of wins than Zenit

Next weeks game at Zenit will be a good one, 2nd v 1st, Zenit v Lokomotiv

Perfect time for Loko to be playing Zenit too as they have hit a little wobble recently under Mancini, should be an interesting game.

3. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Lokomotiv stunned everyone by winning 3-0 away at Zenit today, a double from Jefferson Farfan and a single goal from Alexey Miranchuk doing the damage

Goals and highlights of the game here

Truly remarkable season from Lokomotiv, they have now a three point cushion at the top of the league and have a tremendous chance to win their first Russian Premier League title since 2004. In fact, today's win over Zenit was their first away win against Zenit since.....yes, you guessed it, the 2004 season! If ever there was a lucky omen

What is most impressive about Loko's charge to the title is that they have been away to Zenit, Spartak and CSKA and won against all 3 teams, with all 3 to play at home from now till the end of the season, there is a great chance they can win the league now, they look certainties for a Top 3 spot now in the league and Champions League football next season, but winning the league has to be a genuine target now one would think.

Once again, Manuel Fernandes was outstanding today, best player in the Russian Premier League by far this season and imo has to be in the discussion for a recall to the Portuguese national team, he has been that good this season.

The assist in the video above for Loko's 3rd goal was sublime.

PorkchopExpress likes this.
  4. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    The problem is there is so much competition in the midfield that he just wont get a look in, his ship has sailed I’m afraid

5. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Yeah, i agree there, Portugal just have so many options atm. Only chance he has atm is if Portugal gets a few midfield injuries and he continues this amazing run of performances from now till seasons end.

A shame really, i remember when he first came onto the scene at Benfica/Everton/Valencia and you could see Fernandes had a lot of talent, yet he was inconsistent with his form and erratic (continously moving clubs). Now he has matured, we are now seeing his talent emerge, just Portugal atm have so much depth to their talent pool.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  6. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    You’re exactly right, he’s always looked talented but never really delivered to the level capable.

When you’ve got players like Joao Mario, Andre Gomes, Moutinho, William, Danilo, Gelson Martins, Bernardo Silva, Adrien Silva, Quaresma, Pizzi, Bruno Fernandes all to fit into one team it’s difficult to find room for Manuel unfortunately

7. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:
    Lokomotiv, Fakel, Fiorentina
    Zenit - Lokomotiv 0:3

It was really fantastic game!
    We didn't win in Saint Petersbourgh since 2004.
    Zenit had a lot of chances in the first half, but our counter-attacks in the second...)
    Yuriy Semin is the best Russian coach. Hope, very hope we'll come back to Champions League where we wasn't since 2004 too. Our club has a lot of young perspective guys, like Miranchuk brothers, Lysov, Barinov.
    Manuel Fernandes - fantastic player for our championat. He has achieved a chance to play at World Cup in Russia next summer.
    P.S. Some of russian commentators consider Manchini is the worst coach in Zenit for last 20 years xD

PorkchopExpress likes this.
  8. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Nice to see you back on FootballForums Artem, please stick around :)

This season has been fantastic for Lokomotiv, they have suprised everyone including myself. You must be delighted with how things are going so far this season!

Really like what Syomin is doing this season, getting the best out of Fernandes, an excellent signing for the defence in Kvirkvelia, trust in young players like the Miranchuk brothers, Lysov and Barinov. I really hope Loko wins the league.

As for Zenit, i read yesterday that Mancini has fewer points at this stage of the season than Lucescu had last season. These recent weeks have been his most challenging time at Zenit so far as their early season performances have dissapeared. I still think Zenit are favourites to win the league, but Loko will push them all the way to the end.

9. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:

Hi Ricardo! Nice to read you here :)
    Actually i'll happy if we will even 2nd in the end of season.
    Champions League in Cherkisovo (district in Moscow where RZD-Arena situates) is our dream for last more than 10 years :) The 2nd place like the first place is the group stage straight

#9 Artem, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  10. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    You are correct to say that 2nd place would still be a great achievement for Loko if you were to finish there at the end of the season.
    Automatic qualification for the Champions League by finishing 2nd would certainly help with your finances too.
    Whether you finish first or second, i think this season is giving signals of a positive future for Loko, especially with the academy players that are emerging at the club. With Erik Stoffelhaus in charge of the academy now as well, i predict there will be more young players to emerge in the future too. Stoffelhaus was of course once in charge of Schalke's academy in Germany when players like Ozil, Neuer and Kolasinac emerged.

Two more teams like Lokomotiv who are having a great season so far are Ural in 5th place and Ufa in 7th. I really like the work of Sergey Semak at Ufa, in the next year to 18 months, i can see him coaching one of the top teams in Russia.

11. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:
    Tomorrow is the next important game: Lokomotiv vs CSKA. Derby.
    Our mood isn't the best after 1:2 vs Sheriff. Also Guillerhme and Eder got injures :/
    But hope we will win. It's very important to stay on the 1st position after summer-winter part of season.
    Впереееед Локо!

12. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    @RiccardoPiccio and there you go Fernandes has his call up right on cue!

13. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Wow! Despite his form being excellent this season, like you, i did not expect him to win a recall. Fair play to Santos though, deserves to be in the Portuguese squad on form ahead of someone like Sanches who has really regressed badly in the last 18 months.

14. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    He’s essentially picked a team of fringe/in form players to see if they should’ve given a shot at the World Cup. Anyone who makes an impact may just find themselves in the squad if players like renato Sanches don’t improve their form

I think the fact that he plays in Russia every week will be favourable if he plays well

15. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    @RiccardoPiccio manuel Fernandes with a goal and taken his opportunity very well! Such a frustrating player in the fact that he’s so talented but only seems to be blossoming now

With Adrien not eligible to play for Leicester until January and renato sanches bang out of form he’s actually got a chance of making it

What a change of fortunes, when I posted that he had no chance of a look in I genuinely thought that would be the case as Santos tends to go for experienced heads who have lots of international experience and then gives the bright youngsters a bit of a chance. Manuel seemed to fall in the middle of those and in no mans land but his form has earned him his shot just at the right time when Santos has picked a team full of In form players to see how they get on and he’s absolutely grasped it with both hands!

16. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Sorry it took a little while to respond Donny, delighted to see him performing well for Portugal, he has been the player of the season easily in the Russian league this season. Certainly think he has a chance of making the World Cup, especially given as you mentioned Sanches is out of form and Adrien Silva is ineligible until Jan.

Round 17 Results in the Russian Premier League

SKA Khabarovsk 2-4 CSKA Moscow
    Dinamo Moscow 0-0 Akhmat Grozny
    Krasnodar 1-4 Spartak Moscow
    Arsenal Tula 0-0 Rubin Kazan
    Ufa 2-0 Ural
    Anzhi 0-1 Lokomotiv
    Rostov 0-0 Amkar
    Zenit 5-0 Tosno

League Standings

1) Lokomotiv - Pts 36
    2) Zenit - Pts 33
    3) CSKA - Pts 29
    4) Spartak - Pts 28
    5) Krasnodar - Pts 27

Massive game next week, Spartak v Zenit, a loss there for Zenit coupled with a Loko win against bottom side SKA Khabarovsk could see Loko go 6 points clear and have a good chance at their first title win since 2004.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  17. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:
    After 2 wins (SKA Khabarovsk and Rubin Kazan) with help of goals on 90+3 and 87 minutes Lokomotiv broke away from rivals little bit:
    1) Lokomotiv - Pts 42
    2) Zenit - Pts 36
    3) CSKA - Pts 35
    4) Spartak - Pts 34
    5) Krasnodar - Pts 33

18. RiccardoPiccio

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    I was in Brussels last weekend, so i did not manage to watch any of the games in the Russian Premier League, but i saw Loko's result, once again the sign of a championship winning side when you can tough out 1 goal victories against SKA and Rubin.

Next weekend is the last weekend before a near 3 month winter break and it could be pivotal in the title race, Lokomotiv have a winnable game against Tosno, whereas CSKA play Spartak in 3rd versus 4th and Zenit have a tough game away against 7th placed Akhmat who have beaten Zenit twice in the last two years on their home ground. A Zenit loss combined with CSKA and Spartak drawing and a Loko win would leave Loko in a fine position to win the league for the first time since 2004.

19. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:
    Actually i will happy if will break into the group stage of the Champions League.
    It's even doesn't matter if we will take 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in RFPL.
    For me Lokomotiv Moscow in Champions League is much more important than World Cup-2018 in Russia
    Hope for Loko :)

20. Artem

Artem Registered User

Supports:
    Spartak Moscow beated CSKA Moscow in the Most Russian Derby and moves on the 2nd place at least till tomorrow when Zenit plays away with Terek (Not Akhmat, but Terek :D).
    One time with Zenit, the leader, Lokomotiv, will play away with Tosno. Loko has great chance to move on vacation with minimum +6 points from the 2nd place