1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Relegation Thread

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by Cal_BCFC, Jan 27, 2019.

1. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    We’re staying up I feel, good win yesterday and with 13 games to go and out of the top 9 we only have Barnsley (away) Portsmouth, Doncaster (home) left. As much as I’d love to send Walsall down on the last day I expect the four going down will be: Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, Bradford, AFC Wimbledon.

It’s still tight, I think a team could well stay up with less than 50 points.

#41 SalopTillIDie, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    I'd be surprised if a team doesn't stay up with less than 50 points, might even be more than one, so many in the mix all going to take points off each other. Might be adding Blackpool to the mix as well.

3. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Looks like there's only one spot left unless Rochdale, Bradford, or Wimbledon start getting results.

Shame about Bradford. Had a fantastic time in the sun under Parkinson and it's all slowly unraveled. They were close to being a Championship side again...back to where it started it seems.

zephyr88 likes this.
  4. Connor.

Connor. Up Town Ryan Brunt

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
    Yesterday's result (and this will apply again when Luton presumably beat us next week) doesn't really alter our path to survival. The biggest concern is Kyle Letheren going off injured. He's been superb since returning to the side and no coincidence we've been much better defensively since. The potential return of Matt Macey doesn't fill me with confidence and he certainly doesn't fill his back four with confidence either...

5. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Might be needing the change your sig mate!

6. Connor.

Connor. Up Town Ryan Brunt

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
    We'll get relegated if I change it now

JoshBCFC likes this.
  7. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
  8. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    There's always one team that plummets on a terrible run of form to be relegated isn't there. This season it's Southend. Fully expect us in the bottom 4 come 5pm Saturday, hopefully we do this in style and don't win another point all season. 30 years I've been supporting Southend I've never experience a nervous close call relegation battle, we've always been awful in the relegation seasons, gone long before the fat lady started singing. Latest I've seen was the last Championship season where we went with 3 games to go.
    This run of form has made up my mind to train it to Peterborough and coach to Walsall though, at least I can drink the misery away.

I'm not bothered about relegation, been there, got the t-shirt and all that, what does bother me is how it's not working out for Chris Powell. Some really negative tactics at times and our glaring issue of not being able to defend crosses into the box (which has been there ALL season) just hasn't been addressed. I'd keep him on if we went down but I fear his position is becoming untenable, even with our atrocious injury list.
    Still with the players we've got under contract we'll have a pretty decent squad for League Two.

9. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    Every set of fixtures there seems to be a couple of huge games involving the teams in the battle. This weekend it's Accrington v Rochdale (14 v 22), Shrewsbury v Wycombe (20 v 13), Southend v Wimbledon (18 v 24) AND Oxford against ourselves (21 v 23).

Huge huge game for us. Oxford have some good players on paper but like us their season just hasn't kick started. Hopefully we take a good following and Bowyer ball sees a comfortable away victory.

We'll either be right back in the mix and potentially one point from safety, or a long long way off with relegation all but certain. Nervous is an understatement.

zephyr88 likes this.
  10. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    I’ve only just noticed that it looks as if we may have a huge say in who goes down this year.

Bristol Rovers (A)
    Bradford (H)
    Plymouth (A)
    Wycombe (A)
    Oxford (A)
    Scunthorpe (H)
    Gillingham (A)
    Rochdale (H)

8 of our last 9 against relegation candidates.

11. zephyr88

zephyr88 Registered User

Supports:
    BCAFC
    Looking at recent results ............ I hope you're not seeing these as easy pickings, for you. ALL of us at the bottom end are scrapping for our lives. An old cliche, I know - But there are no easy games. :)

12. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Haha, I’ve supported Charlton long enough to know we don’t make any game easy!

I agree, playing 8 teams all scrapping is not an ideal run-in to end the season and I fully expect us to lose one or two of those which will fully piss off the ones we do beat.

13. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    9 games without a win we're f*cked! :smackhead Ainsworth has lost the bloody plot with team selections and tactics but we can't get rid as our previous chairman gave him a 5 year contract extension last season and we can't afford to sack him. :fail:

14. SalopTillIDie

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    You were robbed big style today we didn’t deserve a draw let alone a win. Ricketts keeps his job for another couple of games at least now.

15. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Sounds like Wycombe did shoot themselves in the foot - bad marking and then a silly penalty given away (again)

So tight though - anyone in the bottom half could go.

16. SalopTillIDie

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Or even the top half - 3 points separate Walsall in 21st last relegation spot to Plymouth in 12th! Never seen it so unbelievably tight!

17. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Oh bloody hell Bradford, that’s gonna hurt.

zephyr88 likes this.
  18. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    I would hate to be involved in that relegation scrap...

Walsall seem to be plummeting down. They were near Doncaster earlier in the season! Keates not doing too well then..

19. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Scunnie 2 points above the trapdoor.

AdzSAFC likes this.
  20. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    Not good enough I'm afraid. They should be in it to link up with Grimsby again.