1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019-2024 Government policies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MrE, Dec 15, 2019.

1. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Well, we have a Government with a large majority for the first time in over a decade, a PM who many now believe will tack to the centre ground after moonlighting with the right wing of the Tory party.

They are going to have to act with policy initiatives and decision making we haven't seen in a while. And since their 2019 manifesto was very light on detail... we will be in for some surprises.

First up, as they prepare to start their first proper day at work tomorrow.... taking on the Ministry of Defence.
    [​IMG]

2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Supposedly they're going to enshrine NHS investment in law, we'll see whether it's in the Queen's speech. It'll be interesting to see if they throw some scraps at their new Northern MPs.

Surely the rumours that they are going to sell off one of the two brand new aircraft carriers can't be true?

3. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    As much as I do not like or trust this Government. Having a solid majority Gov does at least not give them anywhere to hide... they cannot even hide behind the usual line that the previous Government has screwed things up so much that they have to deal with, because they've been in power. Unless they're willing to throw their own under the bus.

They have to act, and they have to please. & they will have to do all this whilst working around the economic impact of leaving the EU...

4. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I expect Johnson to spend, and put some money into the NHS. My concern was that it would end up in the hands of Richard Branson and co with the likes of Virgin Care, and potentiality more US firms getting a slice of the pie and converting public spending to private profit.

The quotes from the article above - has continued to squander billions of pounds, enriching some of the worst corporate looters and corrupting public life via the revolving door or officals/lobbyists gives me some hope that Johnson will move us away from the worst of Neo-liberalism though, as those words could apply to the NHS internal market, as well as defense spending. We'll have to see......

5. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Oh look, they're already itching to ditch a rise in the minimum/living wage. Nice job, guys. The worse off always suffer a Tory Government.

6. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think when the economy is struggling redistributing from those with more money than they can ever spend to those who spend literally everything they re given will help the economy improved. There are different ways to go about this, but I cannot see the government taking that approach. As you alluded to though, its just them getting ready to drop a manifesto pledge.

7. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think we all in principle support guaranteeing additional NHS spending. But, apparently once inflation etc are taken into account the real-term figure is much lower than advertised. Also, it is still far below the average spending increases under New Labour.

8. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Why do many believe so?

9. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    It's the hope that kills you.

10. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    One step closer to getting Brexit done *Fist Pumps*

11. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    :laugh:

In 20/30/40 years time when they are studying this period in History classes, the phrase "get Brexit done" will be sniggered at relentlessly.

12. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't think it's entirely unreasonable though. Boris was never a euroskeptic anything like as much as the right of the party was during the past 20 years. I think a combination of opportunism and a sincere belief that the referendum should be honoured, led to his 'flirtation' with the Tory right.

I suppose though we will find out in February what Boris' intentions are during the reshuffle. I think he'd be wise to firmly move the party toward the centre and ditch a few hard-liners whose purpose has been served.

13. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    I mean that shouldn't come as a shock should it? It's literally how economics works

14. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    No, but that's what I mean. Governments tend to put out numbers like that as a bald statement. The original number being the only one anyone is likely to remember when really it's not what it seems.

15. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Speak for yourself....

16. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Yeah but you’re an indoctrinated loon that lives in a fantasy world so your opinion doesn’t count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Not correct, even if in principle i agreed that the NHS was a good thing and the best way to provide healthcare, endlessly chucking money at a problem isn't necessarily the solution.

18. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Another step towards becoming United States of England

UK approves £4bn takeover of defence company Cobham

The government has approved a US private equity firm's takeover of UK defence and aerospace company Cobham.

Advent International made a £4bn offer to buy Cobham in July and shareholders approved the deal last month.

But Cobham's founding family raised concerns about the security implications of the deal, prompting a government consultation.

Business secretary Andrea Leadsom has now said she is satisfied any risks have been mitigated.

Cobham, which employs 10,000 people, is known for pioneering technology enabling the mid-air refuelling of planes. The firm, based in Wimborne, Dorset, also makes electronic warfare systems and communications for military vehicles.

Defence experts said its role in air-to-air refuelling is essential for modern warfare and could raise national security issues if the company was sold.

But Mrs Leadsom said the decision had been "meticulously thought over" and came after she took advice from the defence secretary and the deputy national security adviser.

She said: "Having considered the consultation responses and further advice from the defence secretary, I am satisfied that the undertakings mitigate the national security risks identified to an acceptable level and have therefore accepted them and cleared the merger to proceed."

The business secretary said sensitive government information would continued to be protected under the new owner and existing contracts would be honoured.

The company is also obliged to give the government prior notice of any plans to sell the whole, or elements of, Cobham's business

Cobham has extensive contracts with the British military and is seen as a world leader in air-to-air refuelling technology.

Its expertise played a significant role in the Falklands War, allowing the Royal Air Force to attack the remote Port Stanley airfield.

Lady Nadine Cobham, 76, the widow of Sir Michael Cobham, who built the company up over 25 years, had suggested the deal might jeopardise the UK's capacity for mid-air refuelling in the future if parts of the company were sold off by Advent.

Speaking earlier this year to the Mail on Sunday, she said she would not accept Advent's assurances about its plans. "I don't think it would be worth the paper it's written on," she said.

UK approves £4bn defence company takeover

19. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Private equity firms aren't interested in anything but a return on their investment, this can't be a good deal for the UK.

20. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I see the government want to bring in photo ID cards for use when we vote, i don't see a problem with this as it's going to be be free to UK citizens but no doubt Labour and The Lib dumbs will protest about it oh and The SNP.