1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

2020/21: The Race for Europe

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Kirby, Sep 19, 2020.

1. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    I think people are over rating good starts.

Was it last year or the year before that Palace failed to win or score in their first 7 games and they were dead certs to go down, yet they finished comfortably mid table. Same with us last year, bad run of early fixtures and that 9-0, we were down, comfortably mid table.

Norwich had a good start and people were saying they would stay up, comfortably one of the worst records of relegated teams in recent years.

Sheff Utd another good example, tipped for Europe but faded.

Leeds, Villa and Everton have made good starts, that is it, long season and form can change, those teams have IMO plenty of weaknesses (I mean is Everton's defence good enough for top 6? with their awful GK, I am not sure).

When we have seen people play 15-18 games maybe, but 5 or 6, nah.

2. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    real everton fans and their own actual websites are only talking about qualifying for Europe. thats only natural.from where they were at but they have 90% of a really good team that next 10% may or may not be possible this season but they have a huge advantage over the team in Europe, I would not discount that this side of Christmas.

by boxing day they could well be in the mix still.

3. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Well Everton looked pretty average today, like I said defence is not great and seem to be relying on one guy to score and the creativity coming from a guy who is massively talented but struggles to stay fit.

I think Everton, Villa, Leeds etc. are being talked about here then we deserve a shout, there can't be many teams that have better form than us in 2020.

4. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    Fairly confident both you and Palace will finish 9-14th. Hopefully we join you in that group, but still far too early to tell.

We've been competitive in every game we've played so far, even if the result doesnt go our way which is a decent sign.

5. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    We are nailed on for 14th. Finished around there the last 3 seasons.

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    To be fair Sheff Utd made a good go of it and were good for most of the season, I dont remember many tipping Norwich to stay up, their start ok'ish not good.
    Momentum is very important in football, yes it doesnt always last a season, and you will always be able to pick out teams who dont last the marathon. But more often than not the first 10 games are an indicator.

If we talking about 18 games, I think its not much of a prediction then, half the season has gone. Its a bit like people predicting us to win the title after we beat man city, liverpool and were 2/3 into the season.

7. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Yeh but at least everyone has played everyone at the half way point.

As an example of our start last season from the first 13 games we played all 9 of the previous seasons top 9, so basically the hardest start you could have.

8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    We're clearly going to win the league to be honest :whistle