1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Euro Finals draw

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Taffy, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Ariamus

Ariamus Registered User

Supports:
    SC Beira-Mar, SL Benfica, Manchester United, DC United, Portugal, & USMNT
    Not terribly likely...but hardly relevant. Here's what it'll take to win group F (as in, "we're F'd" for anyone in that group) of the 2020 Euro. Step 1), beat up on the supposed minnow, which may be the best entrant of the qualification playoffs. Step 2), get at least a draw against two of the following three: the previous would champion, the current world champion, and the current European champion. And that's the bare minimum.

In other words, the 2020 Euro group F is not just the group of death for that tournament. It may become the all-time group of death of any international tournament.

2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    With the format of the tournament though, in that four of the highest six third place teams go through, you might not have to get anything against the other two strong sides to get through.

Last time out, 3 points and a neutral goal difference was enough to go through, and a big win against the minnow could secure that.

With that in mind, it's not as hard to qualify from as the Euro 2008 group I put up earlier

3. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Well quite, but it isn’t is it? Baku to Dublin, it’s all a bit silly and has contributed to an over-complicated situation. 24 teams is also a funny number. What’s the point of a group stage when three out of four (in four of the groups) progress? What’s the point of a lengthy and complex qualification process when most people end up qualifying anyway? How do Croatia, Czech Republic and possibly Scotland feel about having to play their group games at Wembley? Surely that’s an advantage for England. All a bit of an unnecessary farce for me. The old 16 team, one country format was great, it’s a shame.

4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Bookies making England favourites- but we could face the team who come 2nd in the group of death in the 2nd round/quarter finals .

5. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Well there's two things here, the format of the tournament and the size of the tournament.

The format of the tournament I completely agree with you on, it is a farce and comfortably the least fair and least fan friendly tournament arranged to date. It's Platini's love child, and we all know what happened with him. It does massively benefit the sides who've qualified out of the twelve hosts, and is really hard on sides like Finland who have to play two away games in the groups. Scotland would benefit though as a host themselves, and would face Czechia and Croatia at home if they qualify.

That isn't necessarily tied to the size of the tournament though, as it was 24 teams in France and will be in Germany.

The 24 teams I'm fine with, the standard is still high and as a fan it was great to be in a country with so many different nationalities. Most countries don't qualify, and there's a big difference between this and allowing all 55 countries of UEFA in. I'm not too fussed whether it's 16/24, but the format of this current tournament is a far bigger problem than how many teams are in it, and why that's chosen to be the case.

6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Chuffed with that. Switzerland on 13 June, Turkey 17 June then the big one against Italy 21 June. Need to roll up Ramsey and Bale in bubble wrap and only let them out minutes before kickoff.

7. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Happy with draw draw - although my gf is Croatian.. as if it wasn’t enough to get them in WC & nations league ffs

How do you rate your chances, Welsh fans?

8. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool

Expect us to get out of the group as runners up. After that it's the Group B runners up in last 16 which probably be either Denmark or Russia. Not going to make wild predictions just yet. Just chuffed to be in the tournament at present.

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  9. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Think Switzerland will be runners up personally, but a win against Turkey and you may well get the one of the 3rd place spots

10. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Yes, I also think that the Swiss will take runners up spot behind Italy here. But as you said being a "good #3" secures also a spot in the knockout stages.

I had hoped that the Swiss would land in our group (together with Austria), because many play in our Bundesliga. But who gets the Austrians instead? The bloody Dutch, who were behind us in our qualifying group ;) (not that I think the Austrians are easy to play but it's always a special game for both, also against the Swiss. Anyway, bring on the French and Portuguese ;))

btw: Maybe one good thing that we're in this group of death: If we don't advance then at least we'll get rid of Löw! Not even the DFB can allow it that a Bundestrainer fails in 2 consecutive tournaments.

11. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I fancy our chances to go through in the top two. I think we've got a better team than we had in 2016, with a lot more depth and I think having more options like Dan James and David Brooks makes things easier for our other players. In 2016, Gareth Bale had two players on him every game, but I don't think teams can do that any more. I think if we can get our full teams together, people will be surprised at how good players like Joe Rodon are, and the impact they'll have for us, who are complete unknowns really.

We're obviously not going to be fancied by neutrals, but we never have been. All four teams in the group are good sides, and I think it'll be fairly close but I think we can beat anyone if we're on form and at full strength.

12. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    I think quite a lot of people, myself included, fancied you to do well at Euro 2016. Semi finals was above expectations but still thought you’d get through the groups.

The difference this time, and the main reason I don’t think you’ll finish second is purely due to Giggs. He just doesn’t fill me with confidence even with some of the great players you’ve got

13. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Well we do have a better side than then anyway. I'm not a fan of Giggs but he has got things right in the last four games, and as much as I like him Coleman had failed either side of his time in charge of us at Coventry, Sunderland and in China.

14. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Yeah I’ve never rated Coleman outside of Wales in recent times. But he just seemed to get it right with you and there was a confidence that you would win games and do well, don’t really get that same impression from Giggs. Switzerland are an experienced side, not flashy but very efficient at what they do so they’ll do enough for me

15. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Well you may have felt we'd do well, but generally speaking most neutrals thought we'd struggle when I was out there. I went out there one way, going home when we got knocked out and the expectation from our fans and others was that wasn't likely to be long.

We go to the Euros with more expectation for sure, there's definitely more belief in us because of our performances in the last tournament.

Looking at the historical odds, we were the bookies under dog in all three of our group stage games.

Euro 2016 Results & Historical Odds, Soccer Europe Archive

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  16. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Unless you win the round of 16 game and qualify for a quarter-final in... Baku!

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm positive the DFB haven't sacked him because they haven't found anyone who wants the job. You're a better proposition now than in Russia but still lack mental strength I think. Not saying we'll beat you in Munich but we have more talent and possibly more belief in ourselves than you do. At this moment in time, could go either way really.

Got tickets for our Budapest game against **** knows (pretty sure it'll be Iceland), also going to Croatia/PO winner in Glasgow, Sweden/Poland in Dublin and the quarter in Baku.