1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 World Cup qualifying..

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Super_horns, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    It is either Wales or Czech Republic taking one place and Austria get the other.

2. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Great to see us qualifying with relative ease while other major nations stumble again.

Keep up the good work Sir Gareth.

3. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Come on mate, if we didnt qualify, with the ease we did, out of that group Southgate would deserve a beheading ;)

The fact 3 of our last 4 games were against San Marino, Albania and Andorra is the reason I cant even be arsed watching international football any more.

These groups should go back to their old format, 4 or 5 teams with only 1 minnow in each group.

#883 King_Kenny, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  4. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    You can only beat what's in front of you and we've done it with ease yet again while other major nations stumble.

I suppose some people are just born with a glass half empty mentality ;)

5. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    Glad to see Che hitting some form for your boys.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

6. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Will be interesting to see what Conor Gallagher does next season. If he wants to be on the plane to Qatar he needs to be playing regularly after the summer.

Obviously I'm biased but I reckon his best bet would be to spend another 6/12 months on loan with us, go to the World Cup then give it a final crack at Chelsea the following season if he thinks he can break through.

In an ideal world we'll just sign him in Jan/May but I think most Palace fans are realistic enough to realise that's unlikely in his current form.

7. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    He's going Newcastle for £120m mate.

8. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    There's talk of the top clubs not doing any business with Newcastle which could be funny.

They might end up challenging for the top six in a few years but they're miles off at the moment. Would be a really poor move if he went there.

I'd be more worried about someone like West Ham coming in for him with their new investment and potential CL/Europa football next season. Aside from them I don't see many places he'd be better off than with us for the next year or so.

9. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    He'd be a key player for them tbf, and the thing with Southgate is that once you're in and playing regularly and just about well enough then you'll keep getting picked.

Think Chelsea know they could be in a position to make a lot of money off him if Newcastle came in. They won't sell him to any of the usual top 7, and most other clubs couldn't pay over £30m.

10. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    I don't think he'll sign for anyone for at least another year or two TBH. It's clear he wants to do everything he can to break into the Chelsea team so his best bet is to stay somewhere he's thriving on loan until Tuchel wants him in the first team squad.

If that never materialises then a move to Newcastle could potentially happen but he'd be dumb AF to go there any time soon.

11. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Might not be his choice is all I am saying.

12. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Well it's not like Chelsea need the cash. I can see him hanging around the first team squad and possibly going out on loan again (like RLC) before he's eventually sold. Reckon Tuchel will give him a crack at some point.

Getting back on subject, Scotland can't play Portugal or Italy in the playoffs as they're all seeded. They could be up against Wales though. That'd be fun :drink:

13. Dirk

Dirk "Old School HSV"

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    The last time we did double figures was in 2006.
    13-0 ....away against San Marino. Sounds familiar, eh? ;)

Last week we stopped at 9-0 against Liechtenstein, though.

Anyway, record start for new Bundestrainer Hansi Flick. 7 wins in a row, 32-1 goals (previous start record was 2006 when Jogi Löw started with 5 wins in a row).
    OK, it was only against 3rd class teams (2-times Liechtenstein, 2-times Armenia, Iceland, North Macedonia, and Romania (they aren't 3rd class though, maybe 2nd class ) but you can already see a new attitude under Flick.
    Leroy Sane is an example for it. Total disaster (like Gnabry) at the Euro 2020 but now, on the left side a real game changer again. But as I said, we haven't yet played against a top team.

edit: Fun fact: We qualified with 36-4 goals in 10 matches. All 4 goals were in 3 matches when Ter Stegen was in goal.
    Manuel Neuer had 7 clean sheets (yesterday in the 4-1 win in Armenia it was a penalty, though, for Ter Stegen. Not his fault ;) )

totally surprised about it, especially Italy. What's going on there. Still celebrating their Euro win?
    And Portugal gets the 1-2 in the 90th minute? Normally you'd expect Ronaldo to score the winner in extra time. Anyway, both should qualify through the playoff

Scotland wins 2-0 against Denmark. Congratulations. Although the Danes were already #1 in this group and Scotland #2. But nonetheless very good. Hope they'll qualify, too.

#893 Dirk, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Jason and Rambo1 like this.
  14. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Armstrong with the assist for his goal too!

15. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Last nights results make things pretty clear, we need a point tonight. Seeding would increase our chances of qualifying significantly, an away semi in Italy or Portugal would be killer.

Bale only set to be used as an impact sub, Belgium sent home a lot of players after qualifying but any side they do put out is still going to be strong.

16. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    There is no way Gallagher will sign for Palace.

You’re a stepping stone just as we were.

The bloke is top class. I knew after seeing him play about 3 games in The Championship he’d be going to the very top.

17. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Probably not. Think most Palace fans are realistic enough to admit we need to enjoy him while he's here.

I don't think loaning him for another 6/12 months next season is out of the question though, especially if he wants to go to the World Cup. It'd probably suit all parties.

Addick By Nature likes this.
  18. Addick By Nature

Supports:
    Charlton
    I have to admit, I'm extremely conflicted. I love seeing him do well, just not for you!

Kirby likes this.
  19. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    :laugh:

How's Pape Souare doing? My mate reckons he's terrible. Probably doesn't help that half his leg was sawn off in a car crash while playing for us.

20. Addick By Nature

Supports:
    Charlton
    Your mate is 100% correct. Dreadful.

Yeah, his injuries can't have helped but he just doesn't seem to have any footballing ability or brains whatsoever.