1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 Forum' started by Super_horns, Jun 2, 2018.

1. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Surprised USA didn't try and self-host it, surely they've got the capacity and resources to have done it on their own?

2. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    North America wins. So a World Cup spread across a continent; three countries and several time zones. No identity and three nations automatically qualify. I hate everything about it.

Mexico had the World Cup in '86 and the US in '94. It's bollocks.

3. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Couldn’t agree more, some people seem to be buzzing about it but for me there’s nothing particularly exciting about it at all. Morocco didn’t really interest me either but I’d rather one nation/two smaller nations host it

Flip Duckling likes this.
  4. Never Alone

Never Alone A Dull but Constant Drone

Supports:
    No
    Don’t worry, I wasn’t thinking about swimming.

I hope so.

*Edit* Boooooo!

5. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It would be a logistical nightmare and be very expensive to visit all of those destinations.

6. Hooped

Hooped Registered User

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Yes but it’s a 46 (?) team World Cup.

7. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Ahh yes of course

8. Dirk

Dirk Relegated

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    I hate everything about this decision (and shameful that the German FA had decided to vote for them). I bet Trump already tweeted that he brought the World Cup back to the "greatest nation".

Alright, Mexico is football mad but they already had the World Cup in 1970 and 1986. USA? don't get me started Canada? yeah, ok but...ah **** it. Money again as usual.

9. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I wouldn't complain one bit if it was just Canada.

I hope some FIFA ****s get kidnapped in Juarez.

10. DarkMagician

DarkMagician #TheFinalPiece

Supports:
    Manchester United, Crvena Zvezda
    Good thing for 'Murica that they don't have to worry about qualifying for that one.

11. cpfc1905

cpfc1905 Pride of South London

Supports:
    Palace
    Russia is the last proper World Cup ain't it. Enjoy it lads.

disgraceful that a) England haven't ha it again since 66 while the yanks will have had it twice and Mexico 3 times and b) Australia still hasn't come close to getting one

12. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Nothing more than a massive corporate w*nkathon.

13. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If Qatar is too hot for a summer World Cup then it's a bit silly that Mexico then gets the next one and in summer. Mexico is baking hot and parts of America too. It'll be a bit like the Brazil World Cup in terms of the different climates.

Diana Ross for opening ceremony penalty. Please.

I think England/UK will get 2030, if not Argentina/Uruguay which would be great and 100 year celebration from the first one there.

It won't be long till China gets one though. Personally I like World Cups or Euros in big football countries (UK, Brazil, Argentina/Uruguay, Spain, Germany, France, Italy) rather than in the big money ones.

SamB_SCFC and JoshBCFC like this.
  14. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    No. Brazil was the last proper WC in my opinion.

15. RiccardoPiccio

RiccardoPiccio Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Honestly think it might be a while before England gets a World Cup. When 2018 was announced i had no issues with Russia getting it. 2022 however should have gone to USA. That would have then freed up a slot for China to get 2026. I think 2030 will go to Argentina/Uruguay as its the centennial. 2034 will likely go to an African side and one would think that Morocco will finally get their chance then. However 2038 might not even be a shoo in as for England as China will want to have a WC then. So 2042 it might have to be. And that is before you consider and Australian or even Indian bid too. We could be waiting a while.

16. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    As much as I'd love the world cup here I think the Argentina and Uruguay bid deserve it more for the centennial. The stuffy FA refused to enter till 1950. There would be something romantic about a final in Montivideo 100 years later.

Hooped likes this.
  17. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I never get bored of that Diana Ross moment! I remember watching it as an 11 year old and absolutely pissed myself laughing when she missed and the net burst open. What a fail.

I'll be 46 in summer 2030 :eeek. It's a disgrace that I've had to go my whole young adult life without seeing England host a World Cup considering our history and facilities. I can see it going to Argentina/Uruguay which I wouldn't be massively upset if we lost to. One thing going in our favour could be that it'd be the second successive World Cup on the American continent and they might want to rotate it around a bit?

I'd be dead against China getting one. I don't like these 'football outreach' tournaments where they're hosted in non traditional footballing countries but with large potential future audiences. It's pure money driven and leads to stale, poor tournaments. They're always much more enjoyable when they're hosted in football mad countries and you can really feel the buzz around the home nation.

As for the Morocco vs joint North American bid, my answer would be neither but out of the two grudgingly the North American one for purely practical reasons. I just don't think Morocco is stable enough, rich enough or organised enough to pull off a modern World Cup and they'd be left with lots of white elephant stadiums afterwards. Then there's the region, North Africa has a lot of problems with Islamist terror cells and porous borders meaning terrorists from Syria, Libya and all sorts of places would have easy access to the World Cup. I'm not sure they'd have the resources to properly guarantee safety.

18. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford