1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 years ago today

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Taffy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    June 21st 1970

World Cup Final

Brazil beat Italy 4-1 with Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino and Carlos Alberto to name but a few wearing the famous yellow shirts. Not a bad team to be fair.

2. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    50 years. Jesus christ, how time flies! I was only 7 1/2 back then and I can remember that I was still devastated about the semi-final Germany vs Italy (3-4 a.e.t). And that I was so happy that Brazil won this final.

Saw them live in Germany 4 years later during WC 1974. They still had some "magic" in them, whereas the Brazilian team as a whole was a big disappointment for us kids. Back then in the pre-internet era and not always live football every day of the week like now, we kids were always under the impression that all Brazilians were Magicians with the Ball.
    But seeing them we were a bit disillusioned. They could still reach the match for 3rd place, though. But were outclassed by a great team from Poland. At least they were the only south american team that made it into the semi-finals.