1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

5G Upgrade Option

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Tornado, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Weren't sure if there was a Thread on 5G.

My contract runs out on 03/11/2020 (didn't realise until EE text me). I can stay on my current deal as rolling contract but the price can potentially change at 30 days notice. I can Upgrade my plan and the majority are 5G plans. I'm not even thinking about changing my phone either. 4G will slow down as did 3G when 4 was rolled out.

I see these reports about 5G having adverse effects on health. I haven't really paid much attention to this but recently I've been focused on it and been wondering if it is true.

I'm trying to find info on whether it is from the phone or the telecoms equipment that causes any issues. Anyone?

2. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I upgraded my phone earlier this year and having discussed 5G with the phone shop staff it was apparent that it would be pointless for me to have it due to it only being available in certain areas of the country at the time. The general consensus in the shop was that if I had a 2 year contract on a 4G only phone now, by the time my next upgrade is available to me 5G should be available nationwide. So for me, that is the biggest thing to consider - pointless paying for something if you can't make use of it unless you travel to an area where it is available.

As for health concerns, I've not heard anything about it. Can't see how it would be any worse than any other G to be honest - probably as much chance of it affecting your health as being struck by lightning or getting hit by a bus

3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Apparently hammers your battery and they haven’t even got 4G working properly everywhere yet so why do we need 5G?

Vinnie likes this.
  4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    That's what I was thinking. I can't say I noticed a massive improvement when 4G was introduced, and I still get call break-up and areas (Old Trafford) of no signal.

5. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    4G is great when you’ve actually got it. Feels as fast as my internet at home, a page loads instantly. But there’s plenty of areas that don’t get it, or your phone thinks it’s got it and pages don’t load anyway. Get that sorted, and then worry about about the next generation.

6. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    There was concerns that 4G would cause cancer or other illnesses, there was concern 3G would cause cancer or other illnesses. The 5G shouts certainly seem louder, but they're just as baseless as anything else. You'll be fine with it, as others have said the main concern should be whether it's worth any extra fees they want for it.

The funniest part of the whole 5G conspiracy was when people went out to attack/destroy 5G masts, couldn't tell the difference between 5G & 3G/4G and ended up destroying a load of normal masts :laugh:

7. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Everywhere I've been in the UK, I've had 4G and it's been fast since day 1. I noticed a massive change from 3G although I do believe 3G was slowed down to get people to upgrade.

5G is available where I live and coverage is good enough. I don't plan on getting a 5G phone, well not yet anyway. The shouts have been loud relating to 5G frequency being so much higher than previous G's.

@BleedsIsDead :rofl:

8. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I've not given it much thought. I wouldn't be put off by health concerns but I wouldn't pay any more for 5G

9. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Try living in Somerset mate the signal round here is shit even though we've got a phone mast on The Mendips which is nearly in my back garden :laugh: Our MP wrote to all the mobile companies to see what could be done about it but they fobbed him off with bullshit and he bought it and he said "Well i tried" :fail:

StretfordEnd likes this.
  10. Vinnie

Vinnie It's nice to be nice.

Supports:
    Port Vale
    I've just "upgraded" my phone. I was on a 36 month contract so when I was told I could upgrade I was quite pleased. I went for the Samsung A21s on another 36 monther. I should have put more thought about what phone I'll be lumbered with for another 3 years as I've checked and you can buy the phone for under £150.

Live and learn I suppose.

11. They'll be installing 5G comprehensively across the country, and they'll want to do it as fast as possible. It's no longer just about the implications for what it can do for phones, that's going to be small time. We're looking at autonomous vehicles coming into the masses, computers being able to communicate with each other. Who knows what else the private sector can innovate with it.

It's exciting times.

12. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    5G is a different delivery mechanism for data, whilst it works on the same radiowave principles it has an ability to split that frequency into multiple channels so different types of services and data can be served in different ways, this means that in some cases speed will improve, in other cases latency will improve etc.

There's also going to be different channels dedicated to different types of need, e.g. a channel for augmented reality, a channel for internet of things/connected devices, a channel for telemetry in cars and so on.

It will also have greater coverage, and it's very possible that 5G will be faster than broadband in rural areas, especially when there's convergence with wifi in the way that's expected.

People will obviously focus on speed to begin with but the potential of 5G is game changing to the worlds communications infrastructures. That's assume the dinlows don't burn all the masts down anyway.

RM likes this.
  13. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Yeah it has huge potential, I meant more from just a mobile phone point of view tbf

FranniesTache likes this.
  14. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    My work has got me a new iphone12 so i've ordered the 5g sim to go with it, will be interesting to see what improvements there are to be fair

RM likes this.
  15. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Due in upgrade in January but I normally go one model behind to get it for vastly reduced price so I’ll just get an 11.

16. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    So I shouldn't read into the health talk etc? Besides when I talk on the phone, I tend to use loud speaker or a wireless ear pods.

17. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    If you're getting an 11 there's no point getting 5g as the hardware doesn't support it.

There are no health issues, literally zero, the only people that believe there are are crazy conspiracy theory nutjobs that refuse to believe science.

18. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    Aren't you worried about getting blue teeth?

RM likes this.
  19. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I might check the S20 Plus out on Black Friday. I remember getting the S8+ on a Black Friday and got a really good price. Future proofing is a good idea.