1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AEK Athens European campaign

Discussion in 'Uefa Champions League & Europa League' started by The only Greek here, May 13, 2019.

1. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Not many of you are probably interested in this, but I will go ahead anyways!!!

I will try to provide you with information about our latest matches in Europe and almost everything else there...

We finished 3rd after a fairly disappointing season (it's considered disappointing in Greece), so that means we will play in the Europa League 3rd QF Round this summer. We would have started in the 2nd Round, but PAOK won the double, by beating us in the final this weekend (:chainsaw:) , so that means that the 3rd placed team (us) will qualify directly to the 3rd Round!

TechnoNatch likes this.
  2. TechnoNatch

TechnoNatch Left wing lentil eating scumbag

Supports:
    Uniop
    Will follow.

3. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Let's take a look at our possible opponents:

BRAGA

4th in Portugal this season, only behind Benfica, Porto and Sporting CP (the best three teams in Portugal). They reached the quarterfinals of the Europa a couple of years ago. They are a great team and I am thankful both of us will be probably in the same pot!

FEYENOORD (HOPE I SPELT THIS RIGHT)

3rd in the underrated Eredivisie this season. Ajax and PSV are a level above them, but they thrashed Ajax 6-2 and also won a supercup. Glad we probably won't face them!

BNEI YEHUDA (I guess)

I've never heard of this team, but it seems that they got there by winning an Israeli Cup. I dont think they will be seeded, as they only have 3.725 European points, while we have 14 (Braga and that team from the netherlands have over 20....)

FC MIDTYZYLLAND

The popular Danish team won the Danish Cup this evening! Don't know much about them, but I guess they have a decent team. They also have as many coefficient points as us.

RIJEKA

2nd in the Croatian league and finalists in the Croatian Cup. At this moment, the only decent team in Croatian football team is Dinamo and their chances of reaching the Champions league are less than 10%...Confident we could beat them!

STANDARD LIEGE

Even though they have a few more coefficient points, we are on the same level, as they are a Round of 32/16 Europa League side. I just found out that they were involved in a scandal lately, so their participation in European competitions is not secure yet.

SPARTA PRAGUE

The Czech team managed to qualify for the Europa League, by finishing 3rd in the Czech league. I did some research on them and I was suprised by the fact that they have the highest seed in our round, as they have never reached the group stages in the past years.

TRABZONSPOR

They came 4th in Super Lig (Turkey's league). I don't know a lot about them, but they seem to be an easy opponent, as we also have a far higher coefficient compared to theirs (only 8.000)

THUN

4th in the Swiss league this season, a league made of 10 teams (you can understand that it's not hard to qualify for a european competition). I have never heard of them, but I guess they are not that good.

SPARTAK MOSCOW

They finised 5th in the Russian Premier League. They were in this season's Champions League though, but they crashed out in the qualifying stages, as PAOK, our rivals, narrowly beat them. Another team that got close to getting 5th was Arsenal...Tula. They got 6th place though and they'll be in the second round :eyemouth:

AUSTRIA WIEN

They came 4th in the Austrian League, which goes by the name ''Austrian Bundesliga''. No other team has this league since 2014 rather than Salzburg who made a good run in the Europa League. They could progress.

MARIUPOL

They are the final team which qualified for the 3rd round after finishing 4th in the Ukrainian league. I don't know much about them either, but if we draw them (which is possible), I think we wont face any major issue!

The rest of our possible opponents are unknown, as their domestic seasons and cups are not over yet! I will update this later...

Edit: We finally know all of our potential opponents! Let's look forward to the draw now! GO AEK!

#3 The only Greek here, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    TechnoNatch likes this.
  4. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Have you signed many players since you defeated Celtic? Your team was very unimpressive when I watched you at the beginning of last season.

5. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Well, in fact, we didn't make any transfers, something that we regretted in the middle of the season, as we faced problems with our incredibly thin squad...At this moment, we are trying to save a couple of money, so we can finish our new marvellous stadium in (hopefully) 2 years.

But, in the squad we used against you, we didn't field some of our best players, like the wonder-kid Ponce (second in league goals this season). In addition, we hadn't played any professional matches before the qualifiers against you.

6. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Fair enough. Our own dismal transfer dealings definitely cost us against you guys.

7. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    We are still waiting for the 4th placed team in Ukraine

8. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    It will be either Mariupol or Zorya

9. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Let's discuss the seedings a bit though. It turns out that we will be seeded, which is awesome, because it is guaranteed that we will avoid some of the heavyweights in our round, like Braga or Feyenyoord and, also, the 6th/7th teams in England(Wolves), Spain(Espanyol), Germany(Frankfurt), Italy(Roma!!!).

10. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    The draw will take place in two months!

TechnoNatch likes this.
  11. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    We got a new Spanish coach! He looks promising, I hope he helps us challenge for the league title next season!

Miguel Cardoso has been coaching clubs since 1993!

Some of the most recents clubs he has coached are Celta Vigo, Nantes and Rio Aves.

TechnoNatch likes this.
  12. Stuarty

Stuarty Banned

Supports:
    marseille
    aek Athens to win European cup in 2050?

13. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    I could contribute to this thread by mentioning how Strasbourg will be doing in next season's EL. They won the League Cup so will enter the competition in the 2nd qualifying round.

14. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Good idea!

I think it would also be nice if a kind moderator could move this to the Champions/Europa League section, where it belongs.

15. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Well, if that happened in a European Cup dominated by the top 4 associations in Europe every season, it would be mind-blowing! I'd say that we could reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League in the next 40 years, if something unbelievable happens, though!

16. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    @Andy-gers1 is your man for such tasks!. Andy, could you please move this thread as requested?

@The only Greek here . I appreciate your enthusiasm. Be assured that I'll follow the european campaign of your club here in this thread (although I maybe won't contribute much but I'll read every post, promised)

I'm already waiting for 36 years of another European final of my club ;)

Andy-gers1 likes this.
  17. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Focus on making it to the Bundesliga firstly!!! :dance:

18. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    UPDATE: As a result of a scandal, Standard Liege will now start in the group stage, while our potential opponent from Belgium will be Royal Antwerp! It doesn't really matter though, as there was no chance of us facing Standard Liege, as they were seeded, just like us!

TechnoNatch likes this.
  19. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Done x

Dirk likes this.
  20. kaboose

kaboose Klopp is the beat.

Supports:
    Liverpool