1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety/Depression mental illness.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Andy-gers1, Aug 18, 2017.

1. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    What this thread has proven is how wide spread depression and anxiety truly is. I bet no one posting in this thread imagined how many others are suffering or have done in the past, also some of the character posting are characters you'd never have dreamt to be sufferers. In that sense, this thread alone should be helping, if only a tiny bit, just knowing you're not alone, not the only sufferer because I know in the past when I have suffered with bouts of anxiety you feel you're the only one that suffers this way.

#401 King_Kenny, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    SALTIRE and Shane like this.
  2. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Sorry to hear that mate. My brother suffered from social anxiety and one thing that helps him control and manage it was CBT sessions. Is that something you've ever looked into?

Muller likes this.
  3. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Never even heard of that tbh...

4. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    I'd look into it, personally. A lot of people say it helps them better than meds for example.

Muller and Richard like this.
  5. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I did it. Was helpful. I only took the meds for about 2 months. Didnt like the thought of them but CBT was useful.

Muller likes this.
  6. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    CBT didn’t help me unfortunately!

7. Speakers

Speakers Registered User

Supports:
    Portsmouth
    Muller have you got anything each week that would be a routine to get you out the house like football training or some sort of sports class?

I meant to post the below to tell my experience of mental health but ended up with a giant wall of text but it was definitely helpful to finally get it written down so feel free to ignore. I'm currently in the best mindframe i've been for a very long time.

I've always suffered from social anxiety with a panic attack usually about once a year but they've eased off the last few years. Each March, however, seemed to be a bit of a bad time for me with my mental health seeming to be at its worst. It got a little ridiculous with me starting to wonder about reality and i'd wake up, get ready for work and still wonder if I was in a dream or if I was actually awake. One thing i'd battle during the day was if I was in a room full of a lot of people i'd be shit scared that I was going to shout something really insulting but I had to have this battle in my head to avoid it which felt like intense pressure in my head (I didn't even have any hatred towards anyone or anything, but it was the backlash of what I could shout and how things could change in an instant, it seems so stupid now but that was what would go through my head at most points through the day). I've had suicidal thoughts but I really don't think i'll ever act on them while my parents are around. One of the only people I've felt like I could be really open with is my Dad but I never have talked to him about it, it's been difficult because I knew if I told him anything, he'd tell my Mum because of their relationship together (no secrets etc.) so i've always avoided go into any sort of detail beyond "I'm having a bit of a bad day". My Mum has always been worried about us so the last thing I want her to do is worry more.

I realised I needed to make a bit of a change and test myself to show myself that in the end, everything isn't as big a deal as I make it out to be in my head so I decided to take a secondment from work and go to Toronto for 2 months on my own, I knew no one out there. There was a 2 week period between me finishing work and going off to Canada where it got really bad, I think a lot of it was panicking but my parents took me to the airport and during the drive there my Dad made a joke about me getting a place 26 floors up saying "make sure you don't jump off". Purely a joke because we're always having a laugh and taking the piss out of each other but somehow my thoughts continued during the drive to wondering if my parents actually wanted me to do something to myself. It's crazy to think back to now. Somehow I ended up getting on the plane without any panic attacks and ended up in Toronto.

I learnt a lot about myself while I was out there. The main things were to ignore any thoughts in the evening because I knew it was linked to it being darker and feeling tired so as soon as it would happen i'd say to myself "I recognise this as just being a pattern, i'm going to chuck a film on" or something like that. I noticed the correlation between eating well and how I felt the next day, if I had a takeaway, while I'd feel a little better that evening, the next day I wouldn't feel very fresh. I'd set plans for myself to do for the next few days, if I just left it to the day to decide I knew i'd end up doing nothing all day and then get into a rut so I joined a football team while I was out there too for the routine exercise that was much more difficult to pass on because I was in a set team so would be letting them down if I didn't turn up. I need that social interaction to keep myself in a good place, too much thinking to myself and it's not a good end after a while. After about a month of combatting each of these, I feel in a great place and hope it continues.

The thing for me is that i'm not scared of dying at all, but i'm shit scared of my parents dying.

Sorry for the giant wall of text, most of it is just rambling on.

#407 Speakers, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Tshabs, Sam, Muller and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Old Skool Prem

Supports:
    Derby, England
    Not been on here in a loooooooong time, and when I did pop back on to visit I find this thread.

Im one of the organisers for a group around Derby and Notts where people meet up with others that find it quite tough.

The group is on meetup.com so you have to register and search for it (Not normally one for plugging.. but for once)

Nottingham and Derby Social Anxiety Group (Nottingham, United Kingdom)

"Nottingham & Derby Social Anxiety Group"

There is a lot of support groups out there if you know where to look.

Take care all.

Tshabs and Muller like this.
  9. Monkey

Monkey Monkey see, Monkey do.

Supports:
    Port Vale
    After my last post where I wanted to self harm. I've been sectioned and I'm in a mental health hospital for at least 28 days.

I tied a rope around a tree and also around my throat and jumped off. I've been in hospital to treat my injuries for 3 days, now the mental health hospital.

I really need to get out

10. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Sorry to hear mate.

Any reason why you are feeling this way?

11. Monkey

Monkey Monkey see, Monkey do.

Supports:
    Port Vale
    I wish I had one reason then I could deal with it.

12. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Check your PM’s.

Monkey likes this.
  13. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Do you guys get sleepless nights due to anxiety as well? If so, how do you deal with it?

It's especially frustrating because I this week managed to move to a new and even better place which solves my money trouble. Just having a new roommate and a better house to live in seemed to have lifted my spirits this past week. Now that I've settled in and have applying for jobs my next task, my mind's spiraling again and going back to how it was.

Meh.

14. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Ever since my surgery in 2015 Tshabs I’ve not been able to sleep properly through anxiety.

Every night I need to take to two extremely strong painkillers to knock me out. (That I don’t suggest)

Silly question, have you tried reading? Or even listening to music at a very low sound?

15. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    I take sleeping pills every night because otherwise my mind would be wracked with anxiety as always preventing sleep. I almost always take them or else I'm not getting any sleep. I also listen to history podcasts every night while trying to sleep, to serve as a preventive distraction, but after 40 minutes or so of just lying down, it's hard not to get frustrated in which case the podcasts don't do any good either.

16. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    I don’t think I don’t sleep due to anxiety but I spend up to two hours a night lying in bed thinking about stupid shit I needn’t worry about before I fall asleep.

Maybe that’s the same thing.

17. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Yeah, to be fair, it's not necessarily something exclusive to anxiety.

18. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    I can highly recommend the audio book of 50 shades of turd as a sleeping aid - it literally bored me to sleep (not meant sarcastically ..... it genuinely was like listening to someone very dull read out a phone directory)

19. Rich_Le_John

Rich_Le_John In exile

Supports:
    Manchester United, Team Le_John oh and Liverpool
    Haha either that or children's drivel like Harry Potter.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

20. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Cognitive behavioral therapy. I've had it and it will only work if you go in with an open mind expecting it to help. If you go into it thinking it won't work and it's a load of crap then it's much more difficult. It's also better to start it at the earliest opportunity. They basically try and help you teach your brain to stop associating anxiety with certain situations, like going out for instance. I found it very helpful and it gave me some tools to help calm me down when anxiety kicked in.

Give it a go.

Muller and Machida like this.