1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety/Depression mental illness.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Andy-gers1, Aug 18, 2017.

1. midfield

midfield Hey Sunshine!

Supports:
    Football & Futsal are my passion
    Hey peoples,
    Reading thru these posts, its fair to say that what works for some doesnt necessarily work for all.
    So, what Andy has done in initiating this topic is serving those of us in need for solutions to our torments & alike in our minds.

It might not be for everyone but it might help stem the torment for some with another gem we've recently found: Why I Need Fitness To Fight Depression

A good read, try improving your fitness (including controlled breathing) & if it helps, let us know- it did for me.

#781 midfield, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    TLC likes this.
  2. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The best solution is staying off medication. The one thing you don't want its your mind becoming reliant on medication when things go downhill.

I got back into Boxing again over the last 2 years. Was very active between the age of 10 to 19 before University ruined my lifestyle.

I was a codeine addict for a couple of years. It made me forget everything but when I look back now, it was only a temporary fix. Be strong and focus.

Tshabs and midfield like this.
  3. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Lonsdale Trainers FTW
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    I was a codeine addict myself for about 3 1/2 years.. I've been off it since January now.

RedDevilsShinja, midfield and Richard like this.
  4. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    This is brilliant. Glad you are off it. After my second overdose, I've never even looked at drug again. Never will.

Keep it up. You're doing a fine job.

5. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    For you perhaps, for me I'm hardly able to get out of the flat without medication.

Monkey and Andy-gers1 like this.
  6. Andy-gers1

Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    I'm still on tablets to help my anxiety and depression and would be lost without them.

I became addicted to Codeine after surgery but I had to get off them, thought I would never get off them tbh

7. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    ^ different things work for different people, everyone’s case is unique and it’s finding the right balance.

Monkey and Trent Mist like this.
  8. midfield

midfield Hey Sunshine!

Supports:
    Football & Futsal are my passion
    Well done to the posters who've responded to at least trying something physical!
    My point was that some sort of physical exertion, no matter how useful or how much, would be a helpful start- improved my own self-esteem.
    Controlled breathing was something I picked up from my sister (who contracted lung cancer from passive smoking & lasted 25+ years with 1 lung). In my case, after a short workout involving controlled breathing last thing at night, helped with sleep & its nice to breathe easier first thing in the morning.

For mine, got a lot of respect for those involved with boxing.

9. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    First of all, I am sorry to learn about your Sister. People I admire the most are the ones who are struggling through illness like Cancer. I lost my Aunty in December 2009 through Cancer. That was the 3rd time in her life she was diagnosed and she had no more fight left. Great inspiration and I will always have love and respect for all patients.

I would recommend anyone to get involved in Boxing. It is a fantastic discipline. Kept me off the streets in my teens. I know myself better than anyone. I'd have gone off the rails big time. Deep breathing through the nose and out through the mouth makes a world of difference.

Some will take small steps to move forward. Some can take huge strides. Not sure who mentioned it on here, everyone is different.

midfield likes this.
  10. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Good Morning everyone.

Let's put a smile on our face and have a great day.

11. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'm struggling at the minute :cry: I've been so hopelessly trapped in my own mind for about 2 months now and I just can't ever escape it and I just want my internal voice to shut the **** up already.

12. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I apologise for being a prick towards you. It's easy to forget that people can be suffering at times.

Tatties, JoshBCFC, Monkey and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy-gers1

Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Hope you're okay

Monkey and RedDevilsShinja like this.
  14. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    :thumb It's no danger mate, give and take an all that.

Cheers, I was convinced that it was just my seasonal affective disorder hit particularly hard this year but then it's been bloody glorious for nearly a week now and I've not really seen any improvement.

Andy-gers1 and Flip Duckling like this.
  15. Andy-gers1

Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    You know us as a community can help you through these difficult times.

midfield and RedDevilsShinja like this.
  16. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Admirable.

Monkey likes this.
  17. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    You can escape this darkness and find the light. It is waiting for you.

Monkey, midfield and RedDevilsShinja like this.
  18. RedDev

RedDev Back from a long break.

Supports:
    United
    Hey mate, I used to post on here when I was younger up until roughly my second year at Uni around 2010-2011 then I had to disappear because I was deeply depressed, at Uni on my own, no real friends around whilst working a part time job which actually made me feel good but I went there being a cock sure, black and white confident young guy. I used to always mess up in winter and this is well before SAD was a thing and ultimately that was what was going on as the issue that pushed me over the edge because I'd go from a 1st student, could do anything to going missing, hiding, not wanting to go into town and thinking I had all sorts of stuff wrong. My stepdad even when I was at school used to joke I hibernated in winter but back 2004 that was just a lazy teenager.

I used to think I was watching 20 TV screens and not many people would understand that. How do you concentrate with that?

So I moved home to sort my head out, never took any meds because I expressed that early on that I would never take anything. I could sort it but I'm pretty logical and not many people are so it worked for me but for others it wouldn't.

After that slowly I've learnt how to manage that, setup a business, done really well with it, managed 15+ staff....sold it... worked for the company who bought us in a really senior position.... quit because I knew it wasn't right and mentally I was being dragged down and saw it... then setup a new company now and things are pumping.

However.... every winter it's shit. The lights are bullshit.... they don't work. I don't set myself high targets when the light goes, i don't beat myself up either I just ride it because I know it gets better. I do the easy jobs, I take the ease route. Then late feb/march I know I perk up and life gets better.

Whilst doing the above I dealt with my lifetime alcoholic dad drinking himself to death.....I dealt with that wrongly by drinking and because I worked in the fashion industry getting a coke habit. I'd never touched drugs at all prior to that but when you're feeling shit, you're in a industry that glorifies it it becomes normal.

I have the same genes as my Dad but I know they're there and he didn't. It'll be better and I'll sort it. You have to be head strong.

It's all just small steps. Don't beat yourself up. Acknowledge and don't lie to yourself then even when you **** up.... you know why. It's a lesson....

Blab over.... I'm gonna try post more now. It seems like a lot of us are in the same boat so I think it'll help haha.

King_Kenny, JoshBCFC, Monkey and 5 others like this.
  19. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Brilliant, RedDev.

Read the above. That is inspiring. You can do this. Believe me, I know you can.

Monkey likes this.
  20. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yeah I know, this place is a great community.

Cheers for opening up like this mate, it's appreciated, and I relate massively to being depressed at Uni, easily the lowest point of my life so far. The hibernation thing is perfect I want to do nothing but just hide away in my room and shut the whole world out.

I'm glad that you've managed to get past it and are able to work with it mate. Agreed the lights are crap and don't work, the only thing that I found has ever helped is vit d suppliments and exercise, but currently neither are helping all that much :(