1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety/Depression mental illness.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Andy-gers1, Aug 18, 2017.

1. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Yeah man. You spend half the year in darkness (regarding mornings and evenings) so you just gotta try and embrace it.

I enjoy Christmas too. Couldn’t care less for presents but I love everyone feeling festive, all the get togethers, always up the pub too. Even taken a liking to the same 6 Christmas songs they play on repeat every year :laugh:

2. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I enjoy a candlelit room with some rainy jazz, rioja and a book. That makes me feel good. I felt a little miserable driving home the other night when it was dark quite early. I try to have things to look forward to, whether having tickets booked for the theatre season, meals out or travelling to see mates. Other than that is gym and swimming.

Jezza and Marty_LFC like this.
  3. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    :laugh: I have two candles lit right now. Probably not to do with the closing of the nights but more to do with its cheaper on the leccy. Plus its a romantic wank

RednBlacklife, Flip Duckling and RM like this.
  4. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Origi 90+6

Supports:
    USA
    I wish I had access to an indoor/heated pool (considering in a couple of months any water outdoors will be frozen solid in my neck of the woods), even a basketball court. But gyms around here equipped with those come at absurd prices, so I just have my basic gym, and running outside won't be an option.

Luckily between footy and the NFL and basketball season returning, I'll have stuff to distract me.

I do like the idea of the candlelit room and relaxing in that space. A good way to have the darkness work in your favor.

Flip Duckling likes this.
  5. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Just catching up on this thread and it's great to see you doing things that make you feel good @Crespo. It feels that all my life people have been waiting to knock any idea I've had, so now I do most before I even tell people. That way I don't have my head swayed by those who want to be negative about everything. I sometimes wonder if they are like that because if they stop me from doing things I want, it makes their own futile existence feel a bit better. So you make sure you ignore those muppets who want to knock your education and you crack on with it, spend time doing something you enjoy and actually come out of it with a qualification at the end of it. As others have said, I don't see how any qualification can be pointless - it's all about how you make use of it afterwards.

I'm also intrigued by your comments about getting out each day. I've been doing the exact same and as much as I'm not lucky enough to live in such an area that you do, I still enjoy a stroll by the river each day. This has definitely helped to take me to the happy place I feel that I'm in at the minute

6. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I adore lighting candles in the dark winter evenings. Just creates a really warm, fuzzy feeling as the candles flicker away.......and yeah I've definitely used them to try and avoid turning the heating on

7. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The candles go a far way for me, there's a relaxing setting and they're fitting for the season.

How expensive are we talking for the gym? I've got jackpot with mine, it's one run by the council. I joined many years ago as a student, and I'm still classed as one on their system :laugh: £22 per month, includes extensive gym, two giant pools and a sports hall that can be rented for an extra fiver. I go before work and shower there, saves me a bit on gas :laugh:

8. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Decent deal. Most budget gyms for £20-ish are just that now, gyms.

For access to a pool it then becomes a leisure centre/health club and you’re looking at £40+.

9. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Think it would be £30 without that discount. The only thing it lacks is a sauna. I could probably cancel my membership and just walk in at this point, they don't really care as it's the council. My mates have walked into the swimming bit for free several times, it's only £3 :laugh:

10. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Strangely hits a note. "Dont do this, dont do that". Why not? Actually think folk might just be scared of someone experiencing something they wont

mattamomo and Tomohawk like this.
  11. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Exactly! They don't want to try it but they also don't want you to experience it

12. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yep, and it's so common to see. I regret letting myself get pushed into the degree I ended up doing rather than doing what I wanted which was animation.
    Was it the safer/sensible option? Sure. Do I like it enough not to hate the fact I'll end up in that industry? Nope.
    I'd rather earn less doing something I enjoy rather than earn more in a job I am entirely indifferent to.

Feels like years of wasted time simply because others wouldn't agree with the decision. Gotta at least attempt to go for something you are passionate about.

13. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Origi 90+6

Supports:
    USA
    It's weird at the gyms close to my house/office.

Starts around $60 for the most basic, where you can only go during certain off-peak hours (meaning hours I literally can't go :laugh: )

So yeah, we're looking at over $100 a month for access to their "sports" facilities, or you can pay per use. Hardly ideal, when I have a gym in my building for free.

14. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    There is a thing called a Happy Light that's meant to counter this via simulated sunlight. I've known other therapists who have them in their office and some clients like them so much they buy their own. you could also check with your doctor about melatonin or vitamin d supplements, as these are what you'll miss out on with consistently cloudy weather during the grey season

#1094 upper90, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  15. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I think most people in the UK like the changing seasons - but by February we're a bit sick of it and want warmer weather back!

I run for an athletics club, so you have different races through the year, winter is cross country season. Often this involves a hot shower post race, bit of tea and cake and a few pints, sorted! Then by March you're sick of the sight of mud, etc...

16. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    I think that subconsciously, there's a certain amount of shame involved in this. They see you trying to better yourself and they feel ashamed that they're not doing the same.

I get it when I'm out running & cycling.
    In fact some people can get quite aggressive - turning it around in their head to think that I'm running just to make them feel bad about themselves!

Tomohawk likes this.
  17. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I f*cking hate the changing of seasons personally, seeing as I'm pretty sure I suffer with SAD. I should really get a proper diagnosis on that, I suffer with anxiety/depression as is, but when the darker nights roll in, I'm miserable as f*ck, and more anxious than usual, especially around Jan-March time.

18. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    January's usually pretty grim after all the festivities. Always find having something booked early January helps with the blues. Just a weekend break, gig or something as simple as trying a new restaurant.

19. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Everyone always seem so depressed in Jan, that’s when my birthday is so no one ever seems in the mood for anything, like a hangover from Xmas. I quite like the month but maybe that’s the reason I do.

The Doc likes this.
  20. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

I don't think it's even subconscious for some people, they just don't like people around them succeeding as it puts their own short-comings into focus.

I think for most people Jan-March is the shittest time of the year. During the winter you have October (Halloween), November (Bonfire night) and December (Christmas/new year) - even if you don't like it that much most people like this time due to nostalgia/childhood memories.
    Then after all the build up it's January/February and the weather is still shit but there's no events on, everyone has blown their money and reality sets in.