1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety/Depression mental illness.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Andy-gers1, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    You have a wife, which is probably hard enough. And nobody is stuck in a job for 25 years. Never heard that before.

Most people are joe average mate. We all arent rocket scientists or premier league footballers. Try not to be so hard on yourself, altho easier said than done.

Fo Shizzle likes this.
  2. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Cheers. I don't go to the gym but I have just bought a second hand road bike to cycle to work. Hoping that gees me up a bit

TLC likes this.
  3. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    You did a great thing by speaking to your wife.
    I bottled my own shit up for years, but speaking about it gives you a chance to resolve things, or atleast try to understand yourself more.
    Keep talking would be my advice.

The Doc and TLC like this.
  4. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I genuinely thought this was just the norm tbf.

I do this regular chief.

5. Speakers

Speakers Registered User

Supports:
    Portsmouth
    Massively noticed the difference that eating right, sleeping well and exercise makes over the past few years but my issue is that I can't seem to get in the routine of doing it until my mental health deteriorates and then it's a case of 'Oh shit, better get back to it or i'll end up down the rabbit hole again'. As soon as I feel better after getting back into running or eating well it's like I forget how bad it gets and I let myself get out of habit again and I end up going through these cycles.

RM brings up the gym and it really can help massively. A bit of a tick list I go through is healthy eating, social interactions, exercise and sleeping so I don't know if that's helpful to anyone else but trying to get those 4 right seems to make the biggest differences to how I feel at times.

Go through different stages of issues through the year, my memory seems to be really shit over the last year and I get worried that i'm going to have dementia, I even had a stage where I would wake up in the morning and I couldn't work out if I was still in a dream because a few of my dreams started feeling so real. Started getting back into regular exercise which seems to have pulled myself out of this for a little while.

Richard, Crespo, TLC and 2 others like this.
  6. Crespo

Crespo Registered User

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    It's hard sometimes to know when things are deteriorating but it's good that you have a few fundamentals that you can turn to that you've known have been successful in the past - especially without mentioning medication (You may be on some ofc)

Unfortunately it is a case that we have this cycle, get comfortable then before we realise it we are falling into old habits, it sounds like you have enough motivation right now at least to steer clear of falling down that rabbit hole which is something I've really struggled with it must be said.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I had a work trial in a retail store (quite a big one) and I made it through a week before I couldn't hack it. It really has felt like a complete failure but I'm trying to limit the damage it does to my self esteem. I'm starting the open uni course this week and the pressure of the job even at this early stage was bringing back habits that were ever present when I really struggled, the employer was understanding and have said they'd have me back once I've got myself back on track but it just feels like another bump in the road right now, with it being so raw and recent.

The main downfall was tills, did they notice it was an issue? Nope. Living a facade like most people in the work place. Just with much more IBS :laugh:

7. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Origi 90+6

Supports:
    USA
    Today is World Mental Health day, and just a reminder to everyone on here that it's okay not to be okay, and you're not alone. Feel free to DM me if you just need to vent. No judgments. I'm not an expert, but I've gone through enough sh*t myself to be empathetic to what you are going through. Open offer.

I'm not sure if this is available outside of the US, but HBO posted this for free, and it will be available until the 12th. Gary Gullman is one of my favorite comedians, and he is incredibly open, vulnerable, clever, and of course, hilarious, about his own battle with crippling depression.

JoshBCFC likes this.
  8. RedDev

RedDev Back from a long break.

Supports:
    United
    I think you're setting yourself barriers you shouldn't. Remember... this is it... I don't think we get another go at it.

You don't need to live where you live. You don't need to do the job you do.

You haven't got kids. You aren't shackled?

Completely get the pet thing. We're the same and when our Dog dies it'll be brutal for me but we've given him an amazing life for a dog so he's been lucky.

If your view on your life is like it is ..... then changing it and upsetting a few people can't be worse than you never trying something different?

I struggle with the routine and sticking with things. I know it makes me feel better.... and I force myself to do things but even then I go through shit periods but that's normal. As long as the balance is in the right direction I just don't beat myself up.

So if I'm feeling shit, work is shit but I'm staying fit... good.

If I'm working well, progressing career wise but eating and drinking..... well it's still good.

Then I try just balance it. But it is what it is. We're born how we're born.

9. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Been getting back into my bad mental state where I just feel like i'm dissociating from situations all the time.
    I've been getting back in shape lately and it helped a fair bit, and really tried to be positive without an antidepressant, but it's proven to be a short term boost.
    I was on Citalopram a year or so ago and gave it up after the month as all I had were some mild side effects and no noticeable benefit. I'm going to go and talk with my GP some time next week and wanted to get some thoughts on here from others who have more experience. What antidepressant have you tried that's worked well for you? I am getting into a very negative state with little respite, and so I think I need to evaluate options.

10. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Some of the worst “advice” you could give.

WBArgo likes this.
  11. RedDev

Supports:
    United
    So do the opposite and be miserable?

12. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    You just make it seem so simple.

13. RedDev

Supports:
    United
    Don't misunderstand me I know it's complex. I've been through it and not had a easy upbringing or life at times. I know it's difficult.

But sometimes it is simple and people over complicate things. Sometimes and it depends on the generation because each one seems to have it's own vices and root causes but you just need to put one foot in front of the other and set on a different path if it isn't working for you.

It might work out... it might not... but staying static and wasting away is far worse for the mind and your life than trying to achieve something and it maybe not quite working out. You just try again but the journey is at least interesting and the rewards are that much more rewarding.

JoshBCFC, Flip Duckling and RM like this.
  14. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The hardest step can be the one that is perceived to be down. It really is a young age that we all decide what careers to go into. It can feel impossible to escape as it's difficult to start something new, or preferring a job with fewer responsibilities. Societal and peer pressure can make that emabarrassing. The obvious financial step down also means a sacrifice. Some people are happy to lose some luxuries for a happier and more comfortable mindset. Work is such a big part of life, something as simple as the environment you're in can make a huge impact.

Trent Mist and RM like this.
  15. Dprice81

Dprice81 Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol city
    I keep getting these huge waves of feeling down that’s making me borderline depressed. Normal complaints; things on a rocky road with the missus and have been for a while, job not going overly great, family politics and I’ve been in better shape. They seem like minor things but I just don’t know what one to focus on first. Then I get overwhelmed, slap a smile on my face and tell myself and everyone else things are great. The feeling will pass but then bang comes this wave of depression again. If I ignore it then it goes away but not for long. Haven’t spoke to a soul about this and feel ridiculous now writing it on here lol

16. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Don’t. It’s what this thread is here for.

I always talk about the gym in here and it’s great for making you feel good, but admittedly if there’s underlying issues then the gym is only short term fixes for a mood boost.

Are things with the missus repairable?

17. Dprice81

Dprice81 Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol city
    Thanks man. I would like to think so but we seem in a rut at the moment so who knows. I feel like we’re more friends living together at the moment, the spark has just gone and we’re doing nothing to switch the light back on. I know I need to start addressing the issues instead of ignoring them but it’s easier said than done when I have little to no motivation.

18. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Sounds like you’re feeling like any bloke does from time to time, doesn’t sound that unusual.

This book was recommended to me a year or so ago by my doctor and it’s brilliant. Really helped me to calm down and rationalise, it’s well worth a read.

Dprice81 likes this.
  19. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead Pints x Packet x Potter

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Bit late seeing this but I did some counselling recently and in the book of stuff they gave me there was a bit about common negative thought patterns which from your post you certainly seem to potentially struggle with. I’ve got a list of the habits and ways to try and rationalise and improve on them.

If you feel they’d be helpful then let me know (drop me a PM if you’d rather) and I’ll try to dig them out and grab some photos to send you or anybody else who’d like them.

20. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    If they’re not personal just drop them in here bro. I’m quite like to see them myself x