1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety/Depression mental illness.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Andy-gers1, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Like you say mate this may be a feeling that will never leave you ,but surely you owe it to yourself to try and at least get some help ? I mean even if someone can dilute the strength of these compulsions through counseling then that's a huge step towards easing 'maybe even eradicating' the circumstances that surround taking such an extreme course of action as taking your own life. This feeling of being hemmed in fella,we all feel like that to some degree at sometime in our life,but the finality of what your suggesting needs addressing by a professional. I implore you to seek help immediately mate and I need you to confirm that in your very next post.

Tshabs and Marty_LFC like this.
  2. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    I did seek help back in uni but nothing they said helped. To be blunt, I need a "friend" more than a therapist, since a therapist isn't going to help reintegrate me back into, like, society, if that makes any sense. It's a waste of time to go and talk to a therapist about the same crap yet gain no actual results.

Look, its like this - there's 8 billion people on this planet. Some of those 8 billion aren't going to have a happy ending to their life. Unfortunately, one of those people is me. It is what it is, I'm not god.

3. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Everything may seem futile at the moment mate given the your depth of feeling, but use this thread to reach out ,use this thread to vent your spleen, I guarantee there will always be someone here ready to listen whether day or night . I think your acknowledgement in accepting you need a friend rather than a therapist confirms that these thoughts and feelings you're experiencing are not entirely all dark and you yourself realise this . That said ,I still think you should give another therapist another try just as an opportunity to express how you're feeling at this moment in time.

Whatever you decide ,keep using these boards however frequently you need to,as contrary to popular opinion we're not a bad bunch here and like I say always ready to listen. Take care fella and stay in touch.

Marty_LFC and Sandsy like this.
  4. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    Just as an addition to this Tshabs, I have no idea what you are like outside of these forums of course, but is it possible your current feelings could be getting in the way with connecting with people and making friends? If this is so, perhaps a therapist would be able to help you get on top of that and then from there you might find it easier to connect with people.

Redpelt and Marty_LFC like this.
  5. Speakers

Speakers Registered User

Supports:
    Portsmouth
    Really sorry to hear where you're at Tshabs.

Ignore this if you don't feel comfortable saying but how old are you? For me, my anxiety only cut down a lot at 27. There isn't a time limit on it where you're 'too late' to work on it, as much as it may feel like it.

Could I recommend the 'Meetup' app, Meetup - We are what we do, which has loads of people who want to meet up to do a bunch of events, whether it be to play footy in a park or as part of a running club. Try it, what do you have to lose.

If you're looking at what to fill your days with while this is going on, could I recommend the free courses that Harvard and Yale do - one in particular i'd recommend is CS50 from Harvard (CS50: Introduction to Computer Science) which is their computer science free course. It's probably around 10 weeks but there's also a great community to get involved with for it.

This is a really odd time at the moment which can cause completely understandable frustration, anxiety, depression and many other emotions/feelings. I haven't tried meditation but i've heard good things, allow yourself to try new things.

Tshabs, Marty_LFC and Sandsy like this.
  6. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Oh I definitely know its not a bad bunch of people on here. Folks on here have talked me through worse times. At the same time, I don't want to talk about the same old crap all the time, its not productive for me and definitely not for anyone else. The only reason I did post is because I went a week without proper sleep because of this and I only started sleeping normally a few days after posting about it which isn't a coincidence, so this website's already helped me avoid like insomnia driven aneurysm or something.

To be honest with you, I haven't exactly been in the position to go around meeting people and doing stuff until recently. That being said, my current feelings have been more or less the same for years at this point, including the last time when I was in a position to frequently meet people at uni 2 years ago. Despite the feelings being the same, it was basically a tale of extreme highs and extreme lows, so I dunno? To be honest with you, this isn't really a short answer and I don't know how to put it succinctly.

I just turned 27 coincidentally, but I don't see any reason why the anxiety will reduce, especially not on its own. Have heard about Meetup as well, and even if the pandemic wasn't raging on, it'd basically still be the story as always. As I said above, its too long to go into here and I don't know how to put it succinctly.

Thanks, will look into the courses over the weekend.

Speakers likes this.
  7. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh:

You seem in better spirits fella ,so that's good enough for me ;)

8. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Well, yes and no. I was basically fine during the week when I had work, but now that its the weekend and I have an idle mind, the negativity's back. Hopefully it will go away starting Monday though.

Also, to add on to the response to @Speakers - the thing is, I'm not opposed to trying out new things, quite the contrary, for the most part, I'm willing to try new things. The problem is my anxiety prevents me from trying out anything new that involves other people though. Otherwise, I've basically dabbled in tons of things that you can do on your own, but yeah, its an inherently contradictory situation and people cannot deal with contradictory situations which is why I'm at the end of my rope at this point. I'm just tired and want it to stop basically.

9. Speakers

Speakers Registered User

Supports:
    Portsmouth
    Completely understand that.

I'd maybe start with online communities in your local area. For me, joining an online community is much easier than one in person and now might be a good time to start things like that up. Do you have any games or hobbies that you could look for FB groups in the city you're in for the hobby/game? Even if it's running or a musical instrument, could be good to start as like a beginners group.

There's a lot of local pages on Reddit too, if you're on that? Reddit is a massive community and you can find so many random things on it.

It all comes in steps and you've shown you're willing to work on those, you won't hit every step first time but no one does.

BeeCee and Tshabs like this.