1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with Paulo?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bluebirds, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Bluebirds

Bluebirds The end of an era

Supports:
    Cardiff city
    Hi guys

Just wondered what your thoughts are about di canio?

2. Pilmoor87

Pilmoor87 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Very happy. I think we are going to have a long hard and perilous season. However I think that it will be worth it for the long term change that the hierarchy at Sland are trying to implement. What is and always has been clear is that time is the key. Those who expected us to change our style from 'put 11 behind the ball and hope for the best' to attacking passing football in the summer holidays are expecting miracles. The style we are aiming for couldn't be more different than what we had.

If you look at Swansea/Southampton and the other teams that a showing the way forward there transformations didn't happen over one summer or even on season. It has taken lots of hard work over a period of time and now they are reaping the benefits. Paulo is trying to do what those 2 clubs did but at the highest level and in the constant glare of the media who lets face it have been desperate for him to fail from the minute he was appointed.

With regards to the criticism of his players. The players that have stayed at Sunderland had long enough to see what PDC was like at the end of last season. They knew his methods and style of management and chose to stay. The likes of Fletcher/Johnson/OShea who could easily have got moves elsewhere. Alot of the players coming in said he was one of the draws of coming to Sland.

In my opinion DiCanio is the best thing that has happened to Sunderland in my life time. People should underestimate him at there own risk....

3. lost mackem

lost mackem Registered User

Supports:
    sunderland
    I'm very much reserving judgement on him, it would be a bit daft for anyone to write him off while it's still September which is exactly what a lot of pundits and journalists are doing, if people want to write him off when it gets to Christmas time then fine. As Pilmoor has said it's going to take time but we need to start showing improvement pretty quickly otherwise we'll be giving ourselves a mountain to climb for later on in the season, if we don't improve over the next couple of months then Paulo is going to be put under a lot of pressure and I don't think that he could have too many complaints about that as we have been pretty poor so far.

As far as his character and the whole mad man persona is concerned, I love it, after having Bruce and O'neil who both were dull and predictable coming out match after match papering over cracks making excuse after excuse it's a breath of fresh air to see Paulo talk straight. I'm not sure that I agree with the way he handles his players all of the time, it's resulted in Cattermole and Bardsley looking highly unlikely to play but remaining significant earners on the wage bill and there is obviously an issue with singling out players for criticism in the press which could be handled with more care, fair enough say they were at fault and made a mistake but berating them to the media is over the top in my opinion.

I like the idea behind his new tactics for the club but I'm not sure about some of his squad selections to date, in the middle of the park we've been awful having the likes of Larson, Gardner and Vaughan who he is persisting with, well to me that's the central midfield of a team that is relegation fodder. with Johnson, Giaccherini, Fletcher and Altidore we've got a potentially very good attacking line up to Paulo to find a way to get them playing and scoring which so far hasn't really happened

4. Geordielen

Geordielen Still keeping the faith!

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    He came from Swindon Town to send the Mackems down
    Di Canio oohhh oohhhh

5. monty79

monty79 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland, Brechin city
    Good riddance to the nutter!!

However, the craziest man ever to represent Sunderland leaves with a 100% derby record and slapping Pardew, he aint all that bad.