1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Arsene and the past 20 years.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Daniel T, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Suppose we shouldn't let his anniversary go without a mention. Love him or hate him there is not denying what an achievement 20 years as a manager in any team or league truly is.

He has been a solid servant to the club and provided some of my greatest footballing memories. Congrats Wenger.
    :dance:
    :duke

2. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Yeah, his last couple of years haven't been at the standard he set for himself but the majority of the 20 years have been wonderful. I'm not going to say anything else but link in a piece from Arseblog that sums it up a lot better:

When - Arseblog ... an Arsenal blog

joshlong91 likes this.
  3. Spik3y

Spik3y Sausage

Legend.

joshlong91 likes this.
  4. baggy

baggy Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Absolute legend. For the first 16 years I think he was absolutely amazing, the fact that he signed a 5 year contract just so Arsenal could raise money to build the stadium is a testament to his loyalty to the club when he could have easily run away to one of the giants and built his trophy collection.

Last 4 years have been dissapointing and mistakes have been made without a doubt. However he has more than earned the time and hopefully this group of players repays his faith.

Really good interview with AW and Henry about his 20 years.

5. Steve1956

Steve1956 Respect

Supports:
    Burnley
    Likeable guy,but he has tarnished his wonderful record at Arsenal by staying about ten years to long.

6. The Doc

The Doc No swearing allowed

Supports:
    Manchester United

Sorry mate but I disagree.

Whilst as someone posted above mistakes have been made etc. Since his last title win he has had to contend with Chekski''s and City''s spending power, along with United under Fergie.

I do remember around 2004 invincible era he was rated in a lot of quarters as highly as Fergie (probably rightly so), and even though eventually Fergie (imo) put that to rest by building another successful team and eclipsing Wenger, you cant use that as a barometer though.

Fans who feel he had a lack of success should remember who got that success in the 1st place.

In my opinion of course.

joshlong91 and Adam like this.
  7. Adam

Adam "I'm Alpha as f**k!"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I tend to agree with Gooner and Doc.

I don't think there's a compelling reason for why Arsenal should have won many titles beyond 2004. Chelsea and then City have radically changed the balance of power in the division and Arsenal have not been able to compete with that. I agree that in the last few seasons there have been errors that have probably cost Arsenal a title, but overall I think factors beyond Wenger's control are the biggest reasons why Arsenal are not winning the title any more.

He's one of the greatest managers in PL history and an absolute legend of the game in general. It's Fergie then Wenger and then everybody else for me when it comes to the PL and that's no small achievement.

The Doc likes this.
  8. Robert Heenan

Robert Heenan Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I actually believe that Arsenal along with Spurs and Liverpool have a great chance of winning the premiership if they could muster what Leicester had last season and that is "spirit"

9. The Doc

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I agree pretty much with @Adam

I think sometimes the fact rival fans take the piss about top 4 finishes and lack of success, actually plays on the Wenger knocking.

Most clubs would take regular top 4, 3 titles (1 unbeaten), 6 FA Cups and a few other cup final runs. On top of that on the whole some great football (no huff ball and no 10 men behind ball).

10. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I would break down his time with us into 3 stages.

Firstly, 96-2006. Nothing needs to be said about it, it was a wonderful period of our club. 7 trophies, 2 European cup finals and countless memories.

Then 2006-2013. It's this period that splits so many people. Personally, I think the job he done for us in this time is and forever will be underrated. People really do forget just how against the cosh we were.

Our expenditure (not net spend) in that time on new players was £190m.

Chelsea £370m
    United £267m
    City £580m
    Tottenham £302m
    Liverpool £360m

I really can't stress enough just how brilliant he did with the players he had to get us consistently in the top 4. Ok, the wage bill was high but that was through over rewarding the average parts of our squad. People will always stress well he could have spent more. I don't think we could have. IT was only until the well publicised sponsorship deals got renewed in 2014 that we started to spend in line with our rivals. And that leads me on to the third stage.

2013-now, he should have done better. There were chances to win the league and we fumbled. It's why I said we he got his new contract in 2014, you've got 3 years to win the league. If he wins it this season, I'd give him another contract to get that European trophy. If he doesn't win the league, a new man comes in. If we win the Champions League, he should walk away. There's nothing left to do with our clubs, he'd cement (not that he needed to) his place in Arsenal forever.

Dancer and joshlong91 like this.
  11. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    you'd think we were west ham the way some bang on about the 'success' he's brought to Arsenal

20 years 3 titles 0 european trophies

mediocre for a supposed legend

12. The Doc

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Conveniently forgetting the 6 FA Cups, to put that into perspective he has won as many FA Cups in the last 20 years than you had in the previous 100 years.

13. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    The way I see it from a neutral

96-2006
    Absolutely brilliant manager, arguably at one point the best in the world.
    They won 2 doubles and went the whole season unbeaten. Wenger also got them to the champions league final where they were quite unlucky to lose.
    The Arsenal team during these years had everything - Pace, Power, Athleticism, Skill, Energy, Flair, Discipline.

96-2012
    Now I still think he done a very good job at Arsenal during these years even if they wasn't as successful.
    He couldn't spend anywhere near as much money as the other top 4 or 5 teams in the league and yet despite that he still managed to achieve a top 4 finish in all of those years.
    He also got the best out of a very limited squad. The likes of Djourou, Denilson, Chamakh and Bendtner were all first-teamers and he somehow still got top 4 with players like that.
    Wenger also had to deal with a major departure pretty much every year.
    Cole in 2006, Henry in 2007, Adebayor and Toure in 2009, Clichy, Fabregas and Nasri in 2011, Rvp and Song in 2012. So to deal with all those stars leaving and still get top 4 with his hands tied behind his back is credit to him.

2012 - Now
    This is where the Arsenal fans IMO have valid criticism of him. From 2012 onwards he hasn't had to sell anyone major and he's also been given the cash to sign the likes of Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez, Cech, Xhaka etc.
    During the last 4 years he's yet to put up any kind of title challenge and I completely agree with Arsenal fans who have been frustrated by him the last couple of years. Certainly in 13-14 and last season they had a great chance to win the league and yet blew it both times.
    For me he needs to at the very least win a trophy (fa cup) and put in a title challenge to warrant a new contract. If he fails either this season, then I think his time should be up and Arsenal should be looking to replace him with someone like Tuchel.

I hope you've enjoyed my review and it's interesting to read what Arsenal fans think of Wenger and his time in the premier league.

14. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Tuchel is very overrated tbh, would be a step back.

15. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Thinking about it, you're right.
    He's had more money to spend than Klopp ever had there and they are a worser team than Klopp's side.

Ultimately they need a manager like Simeone to go up against the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho and Conte.

16. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It was last season when he played for a draw against Bayern when 5 Pts back and let his side totally bottle the game against us that did it. He's a good manager no doubt but he has a lot to learn.

17. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I wouldn't say he's overrated. He's still learning to finer aspects of the game. There's definitely some talent there. He knows how to get teams attacking, they outscored Munich in the league last season.

Last season they won 78 points in the league. Klopp's two title wins were won with 75 and 81 points. I don't really see how you can say one is better or worse than the other at this moment in time. He's had his time to bed in, has been backed massively this summer, let's see if he can break the Munich machine.

Simeone is a dream that will never happen.

18. Cicero

Cicero Born is the King

Supports:
    Chelsea
    If Simeone were to leave, I can see him preferring Inter over Arsenal.

Either Wenger signs an extension, or the likely candidates are Howe or Allegri. If the former happens, I fear for the sanity of some Arsenal fans. You know its bad when opposing fans want him to stay.

19. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    No. Winning a third rate cup competition does not warrant a contract extension, it does not indicate that he is capable of reversing over a decade of failure. You can see what happened after the last time an FA cup earned him a new contract. WENGER OUT!

#19 1991, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  20. The Doc

Supports:
    Manchester United
    :laugh: why have you quoted a post from 4 months ago? Especially as you have already addressed since it was posted?

Weird.