1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arsene and the past 20 years.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Daniel T, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    take on claudio and he will win you the league in his first season.

2. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    didn't say that at all, bud. just saying that spending money typically means garnering more pressure and arsenal/wenger--either by design or by happenstance--have seemingly avoided such pressure by refusing to spend, at least in the same way other clubs have. like you pointed out, they have a 300mil squad, but because of their seemingly stingy spending each summer, many think they don't spend at all. like i said, it's easy to avoid pressure by grabbing a top 4 finish and an fa cup each year, but such luck has swiftly run out, along with the patience of a vast majority, including the media, which seems to have bared its teeth even more this season when it comes to wenger.

3. Frampton

Frampton Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I read some nonsense at the weeknd that he'd be staying beacuse he wanted to prove we were better than losing 5-1 to Bayern. More like I need that £8 mill I get paid.
    Funny things is we beat anon league side 5-0 at the weeknd, does that describe the gulf between a top English team and a non-leagus team. If so, does that also describe us relative to Bayern? They're top flight and we're non-league.
    Whatever it takes, he has to go. No more chances. It is over.

4. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It is a myth that we don't spend money. The confusion comes because we've had opportunity to buy better quality and failed to do so by not pushing the budget that little bit more or acting faster. Time and again we've failed to address the glaringly obvious holes in the side because we couldn't secure a player at a price the media will have us believe was conducive to the club or Wengers philosophy. I honestly couldn't say whom is to blame in that situation (Club or Manager). We've spent lots of money, but nothing like those placed in and around our league finishes have. Wenger provides consistency at a relative budget and the board love him for it. How nice to be one of the key decision makers at Arsenal. It's a free ride and they seem to be getting away with charging the highest ticket prices in Europe to us fools who keep lapping it up.

From the fans perspective, if we are being honest back to back FA Cup wins postponed the calls for Wengers head as vehemently as they are right now. For a short time there was a feeling that perhaps we were going to challenge for the league again. We actually started buying finished article players in Sanchez, Cech and Ozil.

Ultimately the club, the players and Wenger are still making the same mistakes. Most fans I speak with are just bored of the inevitability that we keep getting served up year in year out. We have no idea if it will change how we are run financially or the overall expectations of the club, but change is a must if we have any chance of progressing from the levels we are currently.

A Gooner is spot on with his assessment that he will never, ever be sacked. Wenger is in total control of his own destiny. It doesn't seem to matter what we as fans call for, if he wants to stay the board feel he has the right to choose. I honestly think he will still be manager at the start of next season.

#44 Daniel T, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Thunder Gunner and A Gooner like this.
  5. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It's looking more and more likely that a 2 year deal will be signed. And what's worse is we may look to bring in a DoF too. That move is fine with a new manager but under a control freak like Wenger, I can only see it being an utter failure.

6. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Unless it is David Dein which is unlikely. :laugh:

7. Thunder Gunner

Thunder Gunner Here we go...

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Let's hope its just the club preparing for life without Wenger, which lets be honest regardless if he stays or not is something we should be doing anyway once we face the inevitability that he leaves.

8. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    He's done nothing to justify a 2 year extension IMO.

Also, why should he decide when to leave?.
    No manager should have that much power at a club.

9. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    He shouldn't decide or have that much power.

Most now associated with the club have no idea what it feels like not to have Wenger in charge. I think it's fear of change because of the implications it could bring and how much might have to be invested in order to compete under a new regime. It's likely to have an initial negative impact and I don't think they are ready for this when they know what they are getting under Wenger.

The interesting thing is that when the inevitable finally happens, only then will the true ambitions of the club be revealed.

10. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    • Tottenham
    • Shakhtar
    • Schalke
    • Marseille
    • APOEL
    • Benfica x2
    • Malaga
    • Galatasaray
    • Monaco
    • Porto
    • Wolfsburg
    • Leicester City

All have made it to the CL quarterfinals more recently than us. :laugh: What an utter fraud Wenger is. Let the mongs tell it be careful what you wish for because we can't possibly find someone who can out perform Harry Redknap and Craig Shakespeare

11. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Arsenal are a bigger club than all of them and yet constantly get humiliated in the champions league every season.
    The likes of Apoel, Malaga and Wolfsburg have been bigger threats in Europe in recent years.

12. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    After ten years, it's clear that moving to the bowl was the spiritual death of the club. We were sold a dream of competing with Europes elite and it was a ****ing lie to increase their share prices. The gentrification of the club is on another level to anyway other, tbh Islington itself is the poster child for gentrification & you could see that seeping into the club in the late 80s. Now with the masses of Tarquins and tourists - Almost all AKB by default - infesting the place Wenger's position is never truly threatned. We are and will continue to be the post child of modern football - profit over passion.

13. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I can't believe I am am actually about to post this but here goes.

I was listening to talksport driving home from work and Durham had Piers Morgan on. For the record, I usually detest both of them. However.....

I felt this typified my personal feelings a mood with the whole situation surrounding Arsenal football club right now.

14. Gravizapa

Gravizapa Registered User

Supports:
    MILAN
    Sanchez has been involved in 27 goals (18 goals, 9 assists) in 27 PL games this season, that's to say 48% of Arsenal’s goals.

15. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Final nail in his coffin tonight?

16. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
  17. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    After West Brom Wenger came out and said he knew what he was doing and there would be an announcement "soon". Fast forward 3 weeks of more shit fests and when asked if there's any news on his future he responds with "none". Zero consideration for the fans or the club's future, self centered prick. **** him, he deserves the abuse

18. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Apparently Arsenal haven't come back from a goal down to win an away game for a number of years.

Think that says a lot about how they react to being behind sometimes.

19. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    You would think so. Unfortunately, the club is owned and controlled by a man smitten with him.

20. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Kroenke seems to be more concerned with his various sporting interests on the other side of the pond, all he wants from Arsenal is continual financial success. If they don't get in the Cash Cup this time maybe Kroenke will actually notice the slide into mediocrity and decide it's time for a change before it's too late.

Adam likes this.