1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Aston Villa vs Tottenham Hotspur - Boxing Day (5:30)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursLegend, Dec 21, 2010.

1. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    This is the hardest of our next 5 games, but still a very winnable one considering Villa's current state. It will as always when us two meet be a very open game - Lennon, Bale, VDV, Young, Agbonlahor and Downing will see to that.

My team -

Gomes
    Kaboul Dawson Gallas BAE
    Lennon Modric Palacios Bale
    VDV
    Defoe​

We need a bit of pace in our full backs. Hutton will be exposed by Young, Corluka will just be run straight past and so Kaboul seems the best choice. Fast, strong and fairly defensive minded. Palacios or Sandro is a toss up, but at the moment HR seems to favour Palacios and to be fair, in his last 2 games he's begun returning to some kind of form.

Unnessacary stat alert: Benoit Assou-Ekotto of Tottenham Hotspur has intercepted the ball more often than any other player this season (58 times). We might need him to carry that on to stop Young/Downing getting in the game too often.

Prediction:

Villa 7-7 Spurs

#1 SpursLegend, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  2. powerage

powerage Let There Be Rock!

Supports:
    Spurs
    There form hasn't been great, but won't be an easy game. Is VDV back from injury then?

3. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    Apparently so.

4. Lightning7

Lightning7 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Crouch
    van der Vaart
    Bale - Modric - Palacios - Lennon
    Assou-Ekotto - Bassong - Dawson - Corluka/Kaboul
    Gomes​

Prediction:
    Villa 1-2 Spurs
    Crouch and van der Vaart to score for us.

5. superyids

superyids Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    pretty much agree with SLs team. would like to see sandro play but your right it'll obviously be palacios. i'm assuming jenas is still out. kaboul is class at RB- as good as hutton going foward and at least as good defensively IMO as corluka & defo better defensively than hutton. no brainer IMO.

everton on paper is harder than this. everton are picking up and dont forget villa are near the relegation zone. villa park is always a hard place to go but with the form of the 2 teams this season we shud be looking to win.

6. N17

N17 Nerd

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I'm unsure about this one. Before I knew VDV was back from injury, I was thinking a 1-1 or 2-2 result.

I'm thinking though he'll jump back in with a bang, scoring only his 2nd away goal.

Aston Villa 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
    VDV, Defoe
    Downing

7. FightTheFuture

FightTheFuture Novus Ordo Seclorum

Supports:
    Spurs
    I don’t think that is entirely correct, SL. Was it not just last season against Aston Villa at WHL when ‘Arry thought he’d start Hutton instead of Corluka to try and combat Ashley Young’s pace, only to swiftly make a change around the 20th minute mark to bring Corluka on for Hutton because he was getting crazy-raped? I believe Corluka kept Young quite for the remainder of the game? I think maybe we're beginning to forget just how good 'Charlie' really is (positionally at least).

8. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    No that was in 2009, and it was Zokora he started at RB if I remember rightly to be replaced by Corluka.

9. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah Charlie had him in his back pocket. I think we should go with Kaboul though.

The days off could be a blessing with the injuries we have. VDV back is certainly a boost and hopefully he can repeat what he did v Villa at the Lane.

Quite odd but I'll have seen every game this month which is a rarity.
    Went to Birmingham, FC Twente on tv, Chelsea likewise, Blackpool would have been on tv, this is on tv and I'm going to the Newcastle game :p. Hopefully get back to winning ways though.

10. Spud62

Spud62 North Londons pride

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No doubt about it this is a must win game if we are going to push on this season, like the look of the team above but Wilson bothers me ! hes too lax when passing the ball and i think Hutton deserves to keep his place as hes been great going forward , yes hes not great at defending but we are Tottenham and have never been known for defending well :laugh:. I wonder how long VDV will stay on the pitch ? love the bloke but it does the team no good all this swapping and changing, Arry needs to buy wisely this window .

11. We should have Petrov back for this... And Reo-Coker 100% fit. Thank god!

Still, under Houllier we've been shit, but only lost once at home, therefore, I've come to the conclusion that it'll be 2-1 either way, or a 1-1... There's no way that either team will keep a clean sheet with the way our defences are this season!

Friedel
    Young Cuellar Clark/Collins Warnock
    Albrighton Petrov/Bannan Reo-Coker Downing
    Heskey Agbonlahor​

Is how I hope we line up... Young hasn't been too impressive this season, Downing and Albrighton have, Heskey has been brilliant this season, and Gabby can't really be dropped, because the moment he finds form, we're in business for a couple of months.

12. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    You've jinxed it now. 0-0 :cry:

Agreed though. Unlikely either will keep a clean sheet. Hopefully you concede more than we do :)

13. FightTheFuture

FightTheFuture Novus Ordo Seclorum

Supports:
    Spurs
    You're right, it was Zokora two seasons ago.

My point remains, though. Corluka probably won't start but he has shown that he is more than capable of shutting Ashley Young down. As DD also points out, Charlie had him in his back pocket.

14. Ok, I have to point this out...

Your right back will have to worry about Downing/Albrighton, Young will be in the centre.

15. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    :hmmm interesting. In that case it will be a completely different task. Niether of Albrighton and Downing are rapid, they rely on technique and skill more. Therefore I think Charlie would be the best option.

16. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/team-news-241210.html

right gallas is out but jenas is back. i'm gonna favour kaboul ahead of hutton at RB because i think kaboul is a sensational player (RB or CB) in the making & because bassong has been triffic since he came in. hutton is good but i think kaboul is better and POTENTIALLY much better.
    away from home i like to play with alot of pace to try and keep villa on the back foot so i'll choose defoe ahead of crouch but crouch or pav will be on the bench the minute HR decides he needs to change.

gomes
    kaboul/dawson/bassong/BAE
    lennon/modric/jenas/bale
    VDV
    defoe

17. Albrighton is relatively quick, Downing certainly isn't.

Young might be injured though, our line up will probably be:

Friedel
    Young/Lichaj Cuellar Collins Warnock
    Reo-Coker Petrov/Bannan
    Albrighton Young Downing
    Agbonlahor/Heskey​

Or, if Young is injured;

Friedel
    Young/Lichaj Cuellar Collins Warnock
    Albrighton Reo-Coker Petrov/Bannan Downing
    Heskey Agbonlahor​

I think I'd actually feel more confident with the second one with the form Heskey is in, plus we play better in a 4-4-2..

18. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    i dont wanna put the mockers on it but that team (if ashley young is injured)is full of very average players IMO. probably albrighton is the one that scares me the most and even hes a young, unproven talent. based on that team this is a game we should be looking to win IMHO especially with you guys in relegation form.

having said that a draw at villa park normally is viewed with a good result and i wouldnt be too put out with a point.

19. Mate, we're shit this season, but for some reason, no one can beat us at Villa Park, only Arsenal have managed it so far.. And they had a struggle.

20. Hazza

Hazza ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Supports:
    Tottenham
    This. Would like to see this line-up too, though Palacios is getting better with more playing time so wouldn't mind seeing him if Jenas doesn't play.