1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Film Trilogy Ever?

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by NcfcDin, Jun 22, 2017.

?

Best Film Trilogy Ever?

1. Dark Knight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dollars

2.9%
  3. Godfather

17.6%
  4. Indiana Jones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jason Bourne

8.8%
  6. Lord of the Rings

38.2%
  7. Pirates of the Caribbean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Star Wars (Original)

17.6%
  9. Toy Story

5.9%
  10. Other

8.8%
  1. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Was going to include Back to the Future and Die Hard but didn't have enough poll options. So the ones to choose from are:

Dark Knight - Batman Begins [2005], The Dark Knight [2008], The Dark Knight Rises [2012]

Dollars - A Fistful of Dollars [1964], For a Few Dollars More [1965], The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly [1966]

Godfather - The Godfather [1972], The Godfather Part II [1974], The Godfather Part III [1990]

Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark [1981], Temple of Doom [1984], The Last Crusade [1989]

Jason Bourne - The Bourne Identity [2002], The Bourne Supermacy [2004], The Bourne Ultimatum [2007]

Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring [2001], The Two Towers [2002], The Return of the King [2003]

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl [2003], Dead Man's Chest [2006], At World's End [2007]

Star Wars (Original) - A New Hope [1977], The Empire Strikes Back [1980], Return of the Jedi [1983]

Toy Story - Toy Story [1995], Toy Story 2 [1999], Toy Story 3 [2010]

Adam likes this.
  2. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    For me it's Lord of the Rings closely followed by Dark Knight. Would probably go for Toy Story to make up the top 3.

Individually, Curse of the Black Pearl, The Last Crusade and The Godfather are some of my favourite films however the rest of each trilogy doesn't quite live up to the standard for me (though I haven't seen Godfather II yet).

Muller likes this.
  3. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Pound for pound from that list I actually might go for the Bourne trilogy. For what they are I don't think you could get 3 better films. They're brilliantly made, expertly shot and directed action movies that aren't stupid and are wildly entertaining. Also unusually I think it actually gets stronger with each successive movie. I think the Bourne Identity is often cited as the weaker of the 3 which is the reverse of many trilogies and probably why it's so rated.

Dark Knight - Batman Begins [2005], The Dark Knight [2008], The Dark Knight Rises [2012] = Not aged great for me, I still think Begins is the best of the 3, TDKR overrated and Rises is by far the weakest.

Dollars - A Fistful of Dollars [1964], For a Few Dollars More [1965], The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly [1966] = For a Few Dollars More is in my top 3 movies ever and I love A Fistful of Dollars but honestly Good, The Bad and The Ugly doesn't work for me, so as a trilogy it loses its way.

Godfather - The Godfather [1972], The Godfather Part II [1974], The Godfather Part III [1990] = I think 3 is underrated but overall this isn't a trilogy I ever get hyped up for. It's a great trilogy but not one I'd take with me if I had a choice.

Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark [1981], Temple of Doom [1984], The Last Crusade [1989] = Kind of like Bourne, it's really great entertainment that ends very, very strongly with the best of the 3 IMO.

Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring [2001], The Two Towers [2002], The Return of the King [2003] = Would have walked it IF Peter Jackson could edit his movies. In terms of pacing ROTK is a bit of a shambles especially toward the end and the Army of the Dead was a terrible idea.

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl [2003], Dead Man's Chest [2006], At World's End [2007] = Only seen one of these and hated it, so f**k these movies.

Star Wars (Original) - A New Hope [1977], The Empire Strikes Back [1980], Return of the Jedi [1983] = I have a feeling that Lucas' mismanagement of the prequels and how much I hated Rogue One has poisoned these for me. I still love them and it's a great trilogy, I just have so many mixed feelings about Star Wars the phenomenon that I have lost some of my love.

Toy Story - Toy Story [1995], Toy Story 2 [1999], Toy Story 3 [2010] = Only seen the first one.

I think think the Alien trilogy is worth a mention. Even though Alien 3 is pretty bad, I think Alien and Aliens are maybe the best movies in terms of contrasting styles using the same material. Also The Evil Dead trilogy would have been very high on my list if Army of Darkness wasn't so awful. The Terminator trilogy is also strong with again both 1 and 2 being very strong, The Terminator IMO is a perfect movie but 3 although decent does hold the trilogy back.

4. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    LOTR hands down for me. May watch them again at the weekend so rewatchable.

5. Joga bonito

Joga bonito "play beautifully"
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
    1) IMO, The Godfather Part One and Two are arguably two of the Top 5 Greatest Films of all time. The strength of those two films make this the greatest trilogy of all time (Part 3 was good, not great, but still packs one of the most moving moments in the trilogy). Favourite film: The Godfather Part II

2) Star Wars IV: A New Hope, V: The Empire Strikes Back, VI: Return of the Jedi. Three of the most important sci-fi films everyone should watch for all ages. Both influential and inspiring, I've watched these films so many times. The story arc of Anakin Skywalker is complete. Favourite film: Empire Strikes Back

[​IMG]

3) LOTR Trilogy. They'll probably go down in history as the greatest fantasy epics of all time. Grand film-making from Peter Jackson, and the perfect escapism! I think they've got better (or my appreciation) has grown over time for them. Favourite film: The Two Towers

Adam likes this.
  6. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Was literally about to include Aliens and then for whatever reason completely forgot about them at the last minute :laugh: Should probably have put them in over POTC.

The Bourne films are an odd one for me. I really liked Supremacy but the other two for some reason I just didn't get into in the same way.

As for the Dollars, I think Good, Bad and the Ugly is brilliant. Only seen one of the other two and I honestly can't remember which one it was, but I thought it was whack. Will have to watch them both soon feel like I'm missing something.

7. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    I'd have to put the Godfather trilogy top as the first 2 are the best films ever made, the Dollars trilogy second, The Good, Bad and the Ugly is by far the best of the three. Would put Bourne trilogy third.

As for the others Raiders fourth, don't care at all about the rest, don't like superhero films just seen the first 2 batman and thought very average, watched Star Wars as a kid and didn't get the hype, only seen the 1st Pirates and was just OK, saw 10 minutes of Lord of the rings and turned it off, not for me and not seen any Toy story.

8. Missy Moo

Missy Moo Registered User

Supports:
    Man City
    First LOTR, Godfather 2, Good, Bad, Ugly stand alone classics, but I voted for the Bourne films. Non of them truly epic but three equally good films I can watch over....FTR the 4th one, just pointless IMO

The Swedish, Millennium Trilogy, worthy of a mention too !

9. Joga bonito

Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
    Back to the Future trilogy!

Plus, an honorable mention to Romero's Living Dead trilogy: Night, Dawn and Day.

10. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    LOTR followed by The Godfather. I'm not a fan of Star Wars or Pirates Of The Caribbean or Dark Knight.

11. Person

Person Even angels need angels, Max

Supports:
    West Ham, Ross County
    Top 3 for me:

Once upon a time... trilogy
    LOTR
    Indiana Jones

with Evil Dead an honourable 4th

also no mention of linklater's Before trilogy or the three colours trilogy?

12. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress He's super strong, and super naked!

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Almost every trilogy up there has a weak film. Amazed LotT is top atm as RotK is dreadful. It's actually hard to believe it was made by the same people. As already touched upon the esiting is some of the worst in cinema history.

13. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    When is a trilogy no longer a trilogy? Half of those have 4th and even 5th films making them a series rather than a trilogy, surely?

14. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it's determined by feel more than anything else.

Indiana Jones was a trilogy for years. It entered the popular imagination as this great trio of adventure movies. Then years later the 4th comes along and it felt separate. I often forget it exists when discussing Indiana Jones.

It feels more like a knock-off version of an Indiana Jones movie :laugh:. I think it's also just determined by merit. People are okay with Alien 1-3 but don't think Resurrection deserves to be next to them, even Alien 3.

15. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Star Wars, closely followed by Dollars. Godfather is very close as well, but I'd say the third drags it down, whereas the other two trilogies are very strong throughout.

Aliens is definitely worthy. Alien 3 is average at best, but the other two are classics in two different genres. And one significantly weaker film of the three is pretty common on that list.

16. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Rocky 1,2 and 3 are pretty good as they do show a kind of progression from 70's to hedonistic 80's.

I was gonna put Karate kid but seriously can't remember Karate Kid 3 at all.....:laugh:

#16 The Doc, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
  17. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    I'd esit that if I was you.

18. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Toy Story for me. Am a big kid at heart and just love the antics of Woody and Buzz. I do believe another Toy Story is coming out next year.

19. Joga bonito

Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
    These two scenes were profoundly moving and powerful for me :eeek

Perfect final chapter for Pixar's finest work!

20. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I only had 10 poll options FFS! :D

Tbf with those that I included that have more than 3 installments, I think it's obvious that they were initially intended to be trilogies however the Hollywood money machine couldn't resist making more.

Unsurprisingly enough those films that are built off the back of successful trilogies are pretty much always the worst. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is truly awful, as are both the Bourne Legacy and Jason Bourne. On Stranger Tides isn't terrible if you're a fan of POTC, however it's still comfortably the weakest of the 4 films (haven't seen the 5th yet).