1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bet365 and the FA Cup

Discussion in 'Domestic Cups' started by ashbifs, Jan 9, 2020.

1. ashbifs

ashbifs Registered User

Supports:
    Stoke
    Anyone else appalled that you need to start gambling to watch FA Cup games. Its bad enough knowing that despite pay SKY TV a fortune you only get to see so many Premier league games after they randomly stream them on Amazon

2. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Why are you forced to gamble to watch the FA Cup?

Schindler and Taffy like this.
  3. ashbifs

ashbifs Registered User

Supports:
    Stoke
    "customers are simply required to either have a funded Bet365 account or to have placed a bet on any event with Bet365 in the previous 24 hours." from BBC website

4. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    No one is forced to part with their cash. Shall we ban alcohol because some have a drink problem. People need to take responsibility for what they do and not blame others.

Justthatek and RM like this.
  5. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    What a touching way to look at addiction.

Then what more should we expect from somebody who bragged about elbowing someone in the back because they brushed against him in a busy pub.

kloppbeliever likes this.
  6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    I do look back and think what a dick i was. Am sure you have done things that make you cringe.

It is touching though that you think about me from time to time.

As i said no one is forced to gamble.

Toodle pips.

7. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    But he’s right. You’re too quick to jump on certain people.

Bet a fiver and you can watch the game. So what? Limit that feature and everyone suffers because a few people can’t control themselves? It’s a stupid mentality.

It’s enticement yes. But that’s business. He made a good comparison and I’ve mentioned it before. Should a pub not have drinks offers on a blackboard outside as to not lure in the occasional person with a drink problem that walks past? And then many others may miss out too.

He needs to show his own willpower and ignore it. As does the man with gambling problem when he sees certain offers.

8. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Businesses shouldn't encourage people to do harmful things to access something else they like. @Taffy brought up making booze illegal because some people are alcoholics. How about encouraging people to drink just so they can watch a football match? It's predatory.

9. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    What do you think pubs have extortionate Sky Sports packages for?

10. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    For people to choose to go to watch the game and have a drink of their choice. I don't remember the condition towatch footy at the pub you having to buy booze.
    You certainly aren't told you have to drink alcohol to watch the game. You don't have to watch Sky at the pub either.

It's a disgusting promotional tactic and I'm glad it's ****ed off.

11. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    You also don’t have to put a bet on to watch the game? It’s an option.

And no, you don’t have to drink alcohol in the pub. But believe me if everyone went there and drank tap water and lemonade it wouldn’t cover half of the Sky bill, so luring people into purchasing alcohol is still the motive behind the pub getting Sky.

12. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If you want to watch the game you do. Or at least deposit money and set up an account. You don't have to watch Sky at the pub, Sky is an entertainment service that companies and individuals can buy. This would be more like a conglomerate of pub chains buying the exclusive rights to show football and saying customers need to buy alcoholic drinks to watch. Disgusting.

13. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    We’re talking about someone that would go to the pub for the football, not people that go there and choose not to watch Sky. They don’t matter here.

You have a pub using football to lure customers. And a bookie using football to lure customers. They aren’t too different. It’s just another excuse for people to attack bookies on behalf of people that lack some willpower.

And this is coming from someone that has experienced both alcohol and gambling problems before, to varying degrees.

14. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    You have a pub paying for a third party service that anyone can access at home and a betting company that is buying exclusive access to have customers jump through their hoops to watch a match. There's a big distinction there. If course that's the issue here, if people don't have to watch the game they want to see at the pub they can watch it elsewhere. There's no such option with the betting companies.

And blaming willpower on addictive practices is a terrible viewpoint. More or less anyone can get caught up in those kind of problems.

RM likes this.
  15. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    It’s a bad way to put it I know but it is a lack of willpower. It’s blunt but it applies to anything. You need a lot of it to eat healthy consistently too. Some people lack it and eat terribly.

So of course the government solution is to “sugar tax” it. Masking it as a deterrent when the man with the sugar ‘addiction’ isn’t going to give it up that easily so is buying it anyway but is now a bit more out of pocket in doing so.

He’ll be off to the bookies after to try and win that loss back :laugh:

Vicious circle.

I’ve never used a betting site to watch football so I don’t mind. If it helps people then fair enough. I just don’t like the nanny state society where decisions are continuously made for grown adults that’s all. If something poses a threat now the reaction is to hide or ban it instead of letting people learn to negotiate the threats themselves.

16. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The sugar tax is a poor tax. I agree there. Yet you don't see Cadbury's buying rights to football matches and telling customers they must buy £5 worth of Dairy Milk to watch. That would be grotesque. Much like loot boxes, this Happy Meal toy approach to selling harmful and addictive products should not be allowed.

A lot of nanny state decisions come from people that ruin themselves and put a strain on society. It's hardly freedoms being taken away to just safeguard a few areas.

17. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    There isn’t the same link between Cadbury’s and football tbf. Grotesque or not football and betting companies are effectively a partnership.

It is to a point and it could get worse. Smoking for example (hated by many I know) but my Mum loves a menthol in the evening. She’ll have a couple a night and that’s it. She won’t touch normal cigarettes, she thinks they’re vile.

Menthols are on the to-be-banned list so she’ll soon be quitting. Yes wonderful she’ll be healthier now (which I’m glad about) but it’s not a decision she’s making herself.

So freedoms are being taken away to a degree. I have many friends that smoke rolling tobacco also and they’ll soon be in the same boat. Although I still maintain the government haven’t really thought this through, the tax they make on tobacco is staggering.

18. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Been forced to visit the bet365 website or watch a bet365 advert to view game is fine.

But been forced to make a deposit, I think we going down the wrong path.

19. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    If you'd watched saints as long as i have you'd understand it's not the adverts there are forcing you to drink to watch football, it's the team.

Flip Duckling likes this.
  20. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    some excellent points above.

they seem to be breaking down the line of it's all about personal responsibility which then says free for all for companies and on the other hand it's wrong to sell sports like this and some level of protection is required.

I firmly believe that some level of protection is required. it really is like e cigarette companies jumping on the bandwagon with bubblegum flavoured toxic chemicals. might as well be back in the 50s advertising cancer sticks as good for your health.

imo theres a reason why betting companies are all over sports and theres a reason why they are fighting regulation very hard with faux self regulation style ads.

stop when it's no longer fun is the equivalent of saying jump in front of a bus and see if it hits you and keep doing it til it hurts.