1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxing thread

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Celtic Symphony, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Truax can make anyone look bad, he has that type of style, but both performances (especially the first) were poor. I like chunky but his problem is he is average 75% of the time. I agree, he loses to groves, but he also loses to Eubank. Hes got a belt again so he needs to fight some of these guys because hes missing out on the big money. My advice would be smith first. Groves will outbox him, and eubank will out work him. Smith has looked as shite as Chunky in his last couple, and he won't beat Groves

2. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Any fight before the unification fight is a banana skin for both fighters as it kills the fight if either lose. it also hurts fans interest considering both of these guys between them have 60 wins, no losses and 58 KOs. Wilder lost the purse and was having to go to Russia to fight Povetkin. luckily for him povetkin got banned for juicing. Theres a fair chance that they win the purse and it has to be over there.he has some huge backers and will also fill a football stadium. Do you trust the officials, or for povetkin to come in to the fight clean? It is definitely a banana skin and due to this almost certainly won't be next unless Wilder is just too greedy

Also Price was an accident waiting to happen. He was never really in the fight and the ending was inevitable, though possible longer than most of us thought. I wouldn't read too much in to that fight, Povetkin, even at 38 and clean is still one of the top 4 guys in the division

3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    The return of Tyson Fury is officially underway.

4. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    David Price would've been an ideal comeback opponent but Povetkin ruined that when he took his soul!

Im glad the ignorant, racist twat is back. A little drink/coke habit won't take away the limited athletic ability he previously had as long as he has his motivation back. With the money that AJ is making it shouldn't be difficult. Id like to see him challenge wilder if the septics wont move on their 40/60 split (which I know is as low as they are prepared to go, and they just aren't worth it). Hes a potential stylistic nightmare for anyone in the division but he definitely needs a tune up fight or 2

5. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Think Fury has made a mistake signing with Frank Warren. Don't rate him at all. He's now going to fight two absolute nobodies as warm up fights. The reason Eddie Hearn didn't agree terms is because Fury wanted opponents that Hearn wasn't willing to give him. We are talking easier than David Haye's first two when he came back. Wonder who will air those fights!!

6. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    He needs someone that will at least test him a little bit. I understand why hes not going in with the top few guys after 2 years of beer/coke/pie eating. He needs a challenge that is not to dangerous as he will be rusty. I don't care who he fights first but he needs a genuine top 10 fighter for his 2nd fight. You can't fight cans then step up top Joshua/Wilder as he will get KOd if he does this. David Price has not retired so he would be a good first fight. If Fury can't handle Price with some ease then he has no right coming back to the sport. 2 years out of boxing coupled with a coke/alcohol habit would normally be the end of top level fighting. im hoping that hes young enough and naturally unathletic enough for this not to affect him too much but we will have to wait and see

7. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    BT will :laugh:

Apparently he wants 4 tune up fights (all in 2018) before going for the belts.

8. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    If he wants 4, then the later 2 will have to be ranked fighters imo. The last HAS to be a top 10 imo otherwise what has he learnt? If he fights 4 bums then steps in the ring with Wilder or Joshua then he's in trouble.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  9. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Amir fights this weekend doesn't he? Used to be one of my favorite fighters to watch. Can't stand him now and he's wasted what could have been a truly great career by being arrogant in the ring.

Not even sure i'll bother to watch it tbh.

10. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Was watching a build up video on YT yesterday re this fight. It seems like this Lo Greco guy is a fighter who walks forward in straight lines and is ideal for Khans style. He's meant to have a decent chin but it looks like he'll need it. Basically said his only chance is if he catches Khans weak chin but he's limited in terms of variety of punches and even Khan should be able to block them.

Shane likes this.
  11. Diego

Diego Banned

Supports:
    Man Utd
    Sad to see that Team AJ have offered Team Wilder a flat lump-sum of $12.5m, which is probably around 12% of the total purse assuming this fight can bring in around $100m.

This clearly means that they don't want the fight, having just given Parker 35%.

It takes two to tango and Wilder vs. AJ is the biggest fight in boxing now that Canelo vs. GGG II is not happening any time soon.

Given this, Team AJ need to do the right thing and offer Wilder the 36%-40% which any reasonable person can see is a fare range for a fight of this magnitude seeing as Wilder brings the US audience with him.

Shame on Eddie Hearn.

12. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Firstly, yes that is a little low but i'm sure there'll up it. Secondly, that's still 3 times more than he's ever earned in a fight. AJ brings the PPV numbers, not Wilder. So why should AJ allow Wilder to make a killing from AJ's name??

That said, I do believe they should offer the same deal they gave Parker.

13. Diego

Diego Banned

Supports:
    Man Utd
    Wilder vs. AJ absolutely does $100m. 600k PPV buys in America is the bottom for an event like that, which by itself brings in over $40m. Add the live gate (sold out Wembley), advertisers, the UK PPV monies and international broadcast rights and you have the makings of a $100m fight.

It takes two to tango and its the combo of Wilder vs. AJ that will create the buzz in the US.

It's two undefeated, KO artist, English speaking HWs for all of the marbles. The public will be captivated. Trust me, 600k buys is the floor.

I just want this fight to happen lol.

14. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Yeah, I agree with you tbh.

RM likes this.
  15. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    In fairness Aj and Hearn have both said if Wilders camp is so confident it does $100m they'd take a flat fee of $50m.

If they're so confident just give AJ $50m and they have 50/50.

Wilder is being offered double the money that Parker got. I agree the offer is still a bit low and Hearn has said they're willing to negotiate. However, AJ does have 3 belts to Wilders 1 and AJ brings the money so i can see why they wouldn't want to do 60/40.

16. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    AJ has 4 belts.

17. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    No one talks about the IBO mate. There’s 4 proper belts, he has 3, Wilder has the other one.

18. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    There’s still 4 though. You still need it to be undisputed.

19. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    No you don’t :laugh:

20. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Really? Genuinely didn’t know that. :laugh: