1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Boxing thread

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Celtic Symphony, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    last nights fight has absolutely no bearing on what would happen with Joshua vs fury. Styles make fights and fury is no where near as skilled, elusive, or busy as usyk

#11741 Jonny Ninja, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Arkwright likes this.
  2. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    What do you reckon it would take to beat last night's Usyk? A big, heavy brawler with fast hands is all I can think of at the minute, but they would need to throw in bunches, have the stamina to keep it up over the 12 and a chin that can take a few in return. A prime Andy Ruiz would be an exciting fight but I am not sure if he could put the work in to catch Usyk. He is one scary guy, and it is a shame he is already pushing the boat out age-wise as if he loses either his speed or stamina he will be a lot more beatable.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  3. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Is he proven at HW now mate lol

That was an incredible performance and I can’t see what Joshua can do to win a rematch

I think the way to beat him is to tie him up and try to wear him out, like you said fury would likely try to do. But I don’t see anyone capable of doing it until he starts to slow down. Imo he’s p4p no 1 right now. He’s fought top quality opposition his whole career, mostly in the oppositions manor, and he’s hardly lost a round, let alone a fight. Never been dropped or even hurt. He’s fought 12 rounds against champions and hardly had a glove laid on him at CW and HW, hes phenomenal. Even canelo has some controversial decisions on his record.

& I Still think Joshua is the 2nd best HW in the division

Arkwright likes this.
  4. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Surely if Joshua loses the rematch then he is pretty much screwed as a big draw?

5. Sandsy

Supports:
    Not necessarily. If people still pay to watch his fights then he is a big draw. He came back from the Ruiz loss, and I think he has what it takes to come back from this. He might not reach the star power he had last week again, but he is too big of a draw to vanish after a couple of losses (unless he chooses to call it a day).

6. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah, I guess that is what I am getting at... will Joshua himself have the hunger to go on despite falling a peg or two as a name? He is marketed well and features on a number of campaigns outside boxing but surely his brand takes a huge hit with 2 comfortable losses, and his third in a relatively short space of time.

Shit like the carry on in his entrance last night doesn't help his cause for me. Hard to feel sorry for someone who is so lacking in self awareness.

7. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    You stepping to me, Pal!! STEPPING TO ME!!

GET OFF!! LET ME AT HIM!! LET ME GO!!

Rematch will be done out of pure ego. The result will be identical. Just a performance of dominance. I reckon Usyk is going to dominate the division.

I've put Chocolate sauce on my Humble pie too.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  8. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    So you think his fans will desert him if he loses to a future ATG again and maybe the current p4p no1? Some will but He could have sold that stadium out multiple times last night, he’s still a huge draw even as a contender. And usyk aside, there’s still only 1 other HW that can give him a really tough fight.

No need to eat humble pie dude. I may have tipped usyk to win, but I didn’t think it would be so one sided, and wouldn’t have been surprised of either man won. It was a pure masterclass

I don’t want to see an immediate rematch. If he’s ever beating usyk it isn’t gonna be next or whilst he’s still at his peak. Let’s hope wilder or fury have the minerals to put their belt on the line against him? I’m not sure they will though based on their history. After last night no one, and I mean no one wants to see the joe Joyce mandatory

And I agree, I think he rules this division for as long as he wants to.

9. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Watched the fight in town last night, great atmosphere and Usyk was brilliant from start to finish

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  10. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    If he loses the rematch then who is he likely to face after?

Understand there are many variables to that question but would imagine who he fights also contributes to the draw of his fights?

Also sidenote, surely if he wins then they will go again one more time since they'd be one a piece? So that could still push a fight against Fury into 2023 at least.

... No more questions your honour!

11. Sandsy

Supports:
    Very doubtful. There are 3 titles, and other mandatories to defend against. It would be honourable to give Usyk a rematch, but that would hold the division up for another 6 months so unlikely.

If AJ wins rematch, I am guessing another mandatory. If Usyk wins, I think AJ will have a slightly easier pick (still top 15 mind) before going for a Whyte or a fight which gets him mandatory status with either Usyk or the WBC champ.

MrLeeLemon likes this.
  12. Eaman

Eaman Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona
    Joshua was always better than ruiz and should've easily beat him first time buy just got caught which happens. I think he knew he would always win the rematch even though he bored his way to it. It will be alot harder to comeback from this loss because he knows usyk is better than him really. Of course he'll try but it all depends on his mindset now

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  13. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    wilder, fury, Whyte rematch, joe Joyce, and any of the other top HWs. His fanbase isn’t gonna desert him amd he’s still a top 3 HW even after this loss. Outside of whoever the champions are, he will still be the best backed fighter (financially) in the division. It won’t be difficult for him to make the fights that get him back to fighting for the title

that said I don’t think he should take the immediate rematch. It was right against Ruiz, but not usyk

MrLeeLemon likes this.
  14. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    The Campbell Hatton decision was complete and utter corruption. No two ways about it, it was ****ing disgraceful. He barely won a single round if any.

Onto AJ and there are too many things to list that he got wrong. He was absolutely dreadful. The only thing he did right was connect with some beautiful body shots that clearly hurt Usyk but then didn't follow it up with anything of note at all. Usyk was absolutely class. His movement for a heavyweight is so good and he's so light on his feet. Looking forward to watching the rest of his heavyweight career.

15. RedDev

RedDev Back from a long break.

Supports:
    United
    What an odd fight. If you were going to tick boxes to suit a fight for Usyk you'd tick everyone.

AJ's comments before the fight about it being something he does every day and his normal routine say a lot because it's how he approached it. He looked like he was enjoying it.... trying to box with a boxer who's technically and tactically one of the best ever.

But after three rounds it needed to change. He landed a few shots, the straight right and the body shot and both times Usyk looked hurt and he just sat back.

Usyk was brilliant but AJ allowed him to be....... Then later his eye went and from there AJ looked clueless.

The corner comments, the number of people there...... the fact they allowed him to fight that fight. He needs to change it up like Lewis did, Klitschko etc.

It did make me think though that Usyk could beat Fury. He's quicker, smarter, and does carry power. But then somebody like Whyte..... could put Usyk away with pure aggression.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  16. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I think he beats fury, he’ll outwork him if fury can’t grab a hold of him. and I agree, dillian Whyte may be a tough stylistic fight for him. I think that may be his toughest fight at HW

the problem Joshua has with an immediate rematch is he’s not a pressure fighter, it’s not in his tool box. He’s a boxer puncher so the adjustments he had to make against Ruiz were just going back to his basic, and not be too over aggressive. He fell in love with his power as a novice pro because all of his opponents fell over when he got them. He needs more than adjustments against usyk, and he hasn’t got time to fully implement them.

anthony Joshua needs manny Stewart as his coach unfortunately. He would’ve been perfect for him, and especially for this type of fight

17. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Whyte??? Seriously? Usyk would tee off on him for fun. It'll be harder for him to miss more than anything.

That wouldn't be close. If I've learnt anything about Usyk at Heavyweight, it's never make a prediction against him again. Whyte wouldn't stand a chance.

18. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Haha you were so sure he was gonna get knocked out.

And who would’ve thought that delboy would give usyk a tougher fight than Joshua?

No one in the division is gonna outbox usyk, even fury. It’s gonna take something like furys fight against with Cunningham to beat usyk. Pressure, grabbing/holding/leaning, and letting your hands go as soon as you are in range, with done naughtiness thrown in. Whyte can do all of that, Joshua never has. And even then these guys are likely to get pieced up doing it

I think fury and Whyte are the only 2 who’s have a good chance of beating him

19. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Whyte isn't a complete slugger either, he has some ability. He may have been old but Whyte outboxed Povetkin for 9 rounds outside of one miracle punch. And in my opinion, Whyte is more durable than Joshua so he'll be able to take the hits to close the distance and work Usyk.

20. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Chisora has been a tough fight for everyone though. Nobody has really had it easy against Del Boy. Usyk was settling into the weight as well so it was always going to be a tough workout.

He'll see Whyte's punches coming for starters, avoid 99% of them and tire him out. Whyte's engine late in fights goes empty too.

Fury is the obvious one to test him.

Not sure Whyte is durable. Every punch AJ landed rocked him, he's been rocked by Del Boy, dropped by Rivas, Parker and Povetkin. He's vulnerable late in fights as well.

He's got no chance.