1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit What should happen?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Nov 16, 2018.

?

What should happen now

1. Leave with May's deal

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. 2nd referendum weve changed our mind

36 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Cancel it altogether

24 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. No Deal **** the EU and lefty snowflakes

32 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Counted 17 lies in that speech of hers. We have made zero progress, gone totally backwards and an even more unequal, divided society is what remains. Yes the deficit was reduced but at what cost to our NHS, other public services, the average Joe snd society's most vulnerable?

Hope the old bag of scabs drops dead to be honest. Can't wait to see which sociopath steps into her shoes, voted in by thousands of Tory party members with an age of 70. Democracy yo.

SALTIRE and Jonny Ninja like this.
  2. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    That is a key point. The tories have reduced the deficit by hitting the most vulnerable. People that are unable to improve their circumstances. Absolute scum

Leivapool likes this.
  3. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    Ohh here we go again - I’ve had these open since May became PM

Attached Files:

4. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think Boris will be next leader of the Tories and PM (ignoring any caretakers)

5. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    I think a lot of the Tories who hog the media will make it seem that way but not so sure he is trusted on the back benches and by the membership as a whole. I mean when Cameron quit he was favourite and got shafted. Bit like May in that you don't go from being an incompetent, in his case foreign secretary to become a good PM. Simply supporting Brexit is enough for some but as we know, Boris could change sides again at any minute if he thought he would gain from it. Even Farage has said he would be a disaster, problem is, no matter where you look in that party they all have proven to be as hopeless as each other. I think May's pretty awful run will fade into the distance once they elect another idiot.

Jonny Ninja and JTC77 like this.
  6. Faustus

Faustus 94% Deplatformed.

Supports:
    '
    Davidson is a warning to believing in hype trains and thinking the result will be inevitable. A few years back it looked almost certain she'd be the front runner in any future contest for the long-term future of the Tories. Yet now her star has faded significantly, the Tories revival in Scotland stalled and she's slowly faded away from the public eye and internal Tory polling. Same way really Chuka Umunna has really blown his formely great prospects of being a future Labour PM that looked like a good possibility a few years back, choosing to let his political career instead die on a pointless hill that has become Change UK. A quick reversal from potentially being Britain's Obama to part of a lingering stink New Labour's corpse left in the room in the space of two years.

I'd hope the same happens to Boris. His term as Mayor of London and all kinds of other things have really shown him unfit to be Prime Minister and one likely to do any real good for the country beyond creating a lot of publicity. I'd like someone new to emerge really but otherwise I'd happily take either Gove or Javid as a competent option even if I have reservations about both like Javid's economic positions and Gove generally having any coherent ideology.

SALTIRE likes this.
  7. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    **** Gove. No ****ing way should that **** be anywhere near power.

Leivapool, Ipswich1, SALTIRE and 2 others like this.
  8. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think he would win if it got as far as the membership. He normally fairs very well in their internal polls, and in the most recent one he seemed the clear front runner. Things can change once the contest gets underway, but I think he would win if he got to the final two.

Boris Johnson holds commanding lead among Tory members | YouGov
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...516_ConservativePartyMembers_formatted_2w.pdf

I agree with you that he might have trouble convincing some of the MPs, and getting to the final two is not a given. I see the Tory MPs being a group that is a lot less anti EU than its membership, and any Remainers of soft Brexiteers would surely try to stop him becoming leader? The ERG would have the numbers to put him in the final two, but he would need to convince all of the other leading Brexiteers to support him, and not run against him ala Michael Gove in 2016. A repeat of that would be problem for him.

Its far from being a given, as David Davis would attest to after 2005 contest, but I think Johnson is the rightful favorite at this stage, and 6/1 looks decent odds (not sure what he is at the minute)

Ollie likes this.
  9. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yup the guy's a snake through and through.

SALTIRE and The Doc like this.
  10. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    You go down too for playing an active part in causing this shambles.

11. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    I see Gove and Boris as much the same, 2 grotty little failed journalists who are playing at politics for a few years, then will get bored and clear off. As for Javid, a former MD at Deutsche Bank isn't great on the CV these days and as HS he looks a bit like a rabbit in the headlights. Bit controversial but can't see most of the coffin dodgers on the Tory membership voting for someone who isn't white, evn though he is a good christian boy.

12. Faustus

Supports:
    '
    They're similar but Gove has largely proved himself actually quite competent at setting out to do things then delivering them despite being slimy and repulsive on a personal level. Boris makes a lot of noise but delivers f*** all while Gove is a naked opportunist who jumps onto any bandwagon gaining even the slightest bit of popularity yet tends to at least delivery something from it. It's anti-intuitive to back someone you already know is just a slimy, back-stabbing, opportunistic career politician but it feels like time to just accept it and pick someone that can do the job rather than claim to be saint only to be proven otherwise and ultimately achieve f*** all anyway.

I don't think I can stomach another Old Etonian and his old boys network running the country again with endless PR noise but f*** all to show for it. Cameron pretending to be a metropolitan liberal was enough, yet alone Boris pretending he's a populist, man of the ordinary people this time round, it's the same shit pretending to be different.

Javid is a bit like a cheap knock-off Thatcher but can at least get away with pushing socially conservative policies behind a media smokescreen of masturbatory rhetoric about 'modern Britain' having it's first ever ethnic minority PM. I have concerns about his Thatcherite economic policy but his willingness to pick a fight with the left and ability to get away with policies a white male PM wouldn't in this environment is worth consideration and might even win over the Tory membership.

I take any option really that isn't either Boris or a Remainer though.

13. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Gove would be ****ing useless and incompetant too....

Javid would also be similarily awful.

Can they not just give it to Steve Baker?

14. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'd call an in/out referendum for 12 weeks time, with a general election another 8 weeks after that. Until then I'd give it Giggsy - he couldn't do any worse than the Tories battling to replace May.

15. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    To be fair to May, when the runners were announced in 2016, I wanted her to win, and was glad they made her leader. She's not let the Hard Brexiteers push her too far, and kept us in when the timer ran out. Credit to her for that.

Maybe this was the plan all along, to take one for the team and frustrate Brexit? Who knows, but surely it all has to come to a head soon?

16. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Wow his stock has really shot up in less than a year. So because May f#cked up Brexit we've likely got that daft c#nt as our next Prime Minister... just because he was one of the main ones advocating leaving the EU, & even that was just a move to position himself to be PM. :laugh: This has all played out perfectly for him. He left May with the tough job of pleasing everyone with the deal, she failed, so now he's gonna swoop in & take the reigns.

Boris is a useless self serving liar, so tbf he's probably a great representative for the modern politician, & a worthy leader of a shit show.

SamB_SCFC, Soup Ladle and JTC77 like this.
  17. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Fully agreed. He'd have probably campaigned for Remain if he thought that was his way to power. His entire life has been about becoming PM.

18. Faustus

Supports:
    '
    That was always the strangest thing about the sides Boris and Cameron took. Cameron up until the referendum had been reliably Eurosceptic his entire career, voting against nearly ever treaty change and taking the Tories out of the EPP and into the ECR in the European Parliament. Yet despite this he presumably predicting a similar result to the Scottish referendum decided to lead the Remain campaign. Boris on the other hand who's always been more internationalist and less Eurosceptic of the two switched to Leave just as the campaign kicked off. If they were both actually playing by their real beliefs rather than trying to predict the result Cameron would still probably be in office, with a majority, no deadlock and without the current mess in Parliament and Boris would have likely finished his career.

JTC77 likes this.
  19. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    What are the odds? Aspiring new PM, Doris, is the only candidate who thinks he could look the electorate in the eye and tell them that the best way to get the best deal is to revoke Article 50 and forget "the Deal/No Deal."

We should just rip it up and start again?

20. Boz

Boz Registered User

Supports:
    The Arse

Watched the news this morning, and the segment about the change in Conservative leader
    included a clip of this fellow - a smile on his cherubic face as he skipped along the pavement
    clutching a packet of bagels.

Once I'd stopped laughing, I thought about the idea of that being PM - well, I suppose in the
    event of war he could be used as a hostage... but imagine if Churchill had seen that.