1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit What should happen?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Nov 16, 2018.

?

What should happen now

1. Leave with May's deal

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 2nd referendum weve changed our mind

40 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Cancel it altogether

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. No Deal **** the EU and lefty snowflakes

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Not in 'theory' it just would. If you vote for a party that promises to revoke article 50 in a general election then you are voting for revoking article 50.

Not they have any hope in hell of actually winning an election. It might however force Labour to become more clear on their Brexit position. Kind of like the Brexit party will to the Tories.

In my constituency I only really have a choice between Tory or Lib Dem so I vote Lib Dem so my vote is not wasted. Especially so because our current Tory MP is a complete moron and thought the most pressing problem in the area was motorbike noise on a prominent country road where there are probably at best a 200-300 hundred houses, the majority of which will be massive detached houses of rich people. So the twat wrote a four page letter to everyone in the area and commissioned an investigation to show everyone how importantly he was treating this 'massive' problem. Which just shows Tory party priorities.

2. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    So by your reckoning , the snp should have just declared independence as soon as they won a majority in Scottish Parliament ?

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I hate The Tories and have done from when i first was allowed to vote. The Brexit Party want us out of The EU and at the moment that's what i want more than anything else, there's nobody else for me to vote for as every other party wants to cancel Brexit even though 17.4 million of us voted to leave.

valefrommow and StretfordEnd like this.
  4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    My feelings are similar, but with the Tories apparently refusing any arrangement with the Brexit lot re. not standing against each other there's a real chance their vote will be split and allow Corbjin's lot in by the back door.
    That said Johnson is still adamant that the UK is leaving on 31st October somehow so the impending election may be an after the Lord Mayor's Show anticlimax?

5. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Hate the Tories, will happily vote for a more right wing elitist party. This ****ing country.

Tshabs, JTC77 and FranniesTache like this.
  6. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Which one of those are you pretending to be today?

7. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I always said I’d never vote Tory, but more than likely will this election in the hope that we can move things forward (if I even vote). They seem to be the only party that isn’t looking at another referendum, and labours stance on this is contradictory to say the least.

I would never vote for the brexit party and as you alluded to, it doesn’t really make much sense for brexiteers to either. They are just going to split the vote. It’s completely counter productive

8. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers

I think with Labour they're the only party that would unite the country. Lib Dems will piss off the Leavers, Brexit Party will piss off the Remainers, same with Conservatives as even if they got us a deal it'd be a hard Brexit. Labour Party would get a version of Brexit which a number of Remainers will accept more than the other parties and then it'll go down to the people to decide if it's ok.

9. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    The last election that produced a working majority was in 2015, when the Tories won with 39.6% of the turnout, or 11,334,226 votes, which is typical. If by some miracle the Lib Dems were to win a majority at the next election with a similar number of votes they've declared they'll overturn the Brexit referendum result despite gaining 6 million fewer votes than Leave. Democracy?

10. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Think the Lib Dems move to become a revoke party is a bad one.

It frees up space for Labour to become the only referendum party - which I think could be far more uniting as a policy. The Lib Dems are the remain side of the Brexit coin with the Tories on the other side as the no-deal party.

The Lib Dems could have stayed as a referendum party but had a far more clear line on it compared to Labour which would have drawn attention to the fact Labour's policy was a bit muddled. Now Labour have some breathing space and the Lib Dems have alienated a lot of remain voters who would still understand that another referendum is far more fair than to simply revoke.

The party isn't taking the time to check if MPs (who have voted consistently against minority groups) share their "Liberal values" and so this amateur decision doesn't come as a surprise.

11. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Again yes, if people can't be bothered to turn out then that this their problem, they can't then be unhappy with what happens.

I mean really we should be like Australia and force people to vote by fining if they don't but currently that isn't out system and if people don't vote they forfeit their right to an opinion or to complain.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    17.4 million of us bothered to vote leave 3 years ago and our votes have been ignored by the Westminster elite many of who have fingers in EU pies that's undemocratic.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  13. Burg

Burg ‘Absolute stick of a boy’

Supports:
    Fulham
    No, because winning a majority in the Scottish Parliament to declare independence from Westminster is a different story in my eyes. I also can’t confirm how prominent independence itself was in that Scottish parliamentary campaign. If it was their flagship policy then I would possibly be more inclined to think so.

14. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    In any other election id probably vote for corbyn (I voted labour last time out), but there policy on brexit is completely contradictory. They want to get a new deal with the EU but will ultimately support staying? politicians have shown their neivity when it comes to negotiations during this process. They are either clueless or playing along! But how can you negotiate a deal with another party when you've already said you won't support it? that is absolutely crazy. Its ridiculous to negotiate on those terms. A complete waste of everyones time. I think they'll suffer in the election due to this stance

its not an unusual stance at all. I know lifelong tory voters that would benefit more under labour or the Libs, but they are stuck in their ways and won't change? A lot of British voters are very partisan for whatever reasons.

15. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    It's a very unusual stance. Presumably Mowgli won't vote Tory because he disagrees with their policies (he can correct me if I'm wrong) yet he'll happily vote for a party that is made up of the most right wing part of the Tories. Brexit has broken this country politically, and you and Mowgli are two perfect examples of how.

16. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    People did turn out, on June 23rd 2016. The politicians have ignored that turnout, which will alienate more and more people who quite reasonably see no point in voting in any further polls. Lib Dems have now made it party policy to overturn a 17.4 million Leave vote with what would be a much, much smaller number of votes.

Mowgli and Jonny Ninja like this.
  17. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I agree that Im not sure why he wouldn't vote Tory as he is a staunch leaver and they are the only party that can get a majority.

Im interested to know why Im an example of Brexit breaking the country. Do you even know my stance or are you speculating?

18. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    same lib dems that are up in arms about Johnsons undemocratic moves in parliament, but are desperate to ignore the referendum. Laughable hypocrasy

StretfordEnd and RedDevilsShinja like this.
  19. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    I said you're an example because you are saying you're willing to vote against parties you agree with and would usually vote for in favour of another that you never would simply because their position on Brexit is a bit clearer (whether that is right or wrong is a different debate). Brexit is important, but it isn't the be all and end all. The current cabinet and makeup of the Tory parties leadership would terrify me if they got a majority government (even worse if they are propped up by the even more right wing Brexit party), not because of anything they would do about Brexit, because of everything that they would do that's nothing to do with Brexit.

The fact you are willing to vote for something not in your interest, for a party that you disagree with shows that politics is broken in this country.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  20. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Yeah that’s fair enough.

I’m not voting for the tories as I support brexit, I’ll likely vote for them as I just want an end to this tbf. I nearly voted for Cameron in 2010 but came to my senses. It’s not even that they don’t benefit me. Economically they may actually be the most suited party, I’m just more liberal minded so would generally vote this way. I am and always will be a swing voter though

Papa Francesco likes this.