1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit What should happen?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Nov 16, 2018.

?

What should happen now

1. Leave with May's deal

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 2nd referendum weve changed our mind

40 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Cancel it altogether

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. No Deal **** the EU and lefty snowflakes

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    Totally agree that it would be ruled legitimate, but would be no problem with Cons standing in GE to overrule it in favour of the 1st which would have had a higher turnout.

2. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    They wouldn't do that though.

3. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Its their job to sort it out! they put us in this position (well the tories did at least)

Do you think a 2nd referundum is really going to be the thing that breaks the deadlock? It won't and there will be an even bigger rift between remain and leave. We all know that! I honestly think many of these parties want to re run it because they don't want to take responsibility, as well as wanting to remain

I would boycott a 2nd referendum, and I would vote remain if I had to. People are making laughable excuses as to why it needs to be re-run, and embarrassingly contradicting themselves by accusing Johnson of doing similar things to what they want. it doesn't need to happen again.

Out of interest I wonder how many who want a 2nd referendum, would support Scotland re running theirs? I mean their argument is fairly similar to the Libs stance on the EU referendum

4. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    It would break the deadlock as it would be a choice between two specific outcomes. There would be no debate about what form brexit should be, or what people voted for.

The other option is to keep asking for a delay while Politicians argue over what to do.

5. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    You don't know that, if they just accept remaining after another ref then they would lose so many votes to BP they would expect not to be in government for a long time.

And you're living in a dream world if you think a narrow win for remain would break the deadlock completely, this will go on and on forever especially if Scotland leaves the UK then another EU ref would become highly likely and obviously a big chance of a leave vote again.

6. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Sorry dude but none of that will happen! You are being way too optimistic, possibly naive based on the last 3 years

There will absolutely be a further debate no matter what the outcome is. Leave voters absolutely have a case for it being anti democratic because we’ve had the referendum. And it was in or out. The arguments that people didn’t know what they were voting for/the bus/farages propaganda around the migrant crisis etc, are coming from remainers. It’s speculation. They are excuses to the run it

The other option is actually to have a general election. Something that is completely normal, not particularly divisive, and something that most of the public actually agree on. If the tories can’t get a majority then maybe the opposition parties can form an alliance. And if they want to run a 2nd referendum then good luck to them! They want to stay in the EU so just rip up article 50. Don’t palm it off to the public, take some fckin responsibility

Personally I think the public feeling is to get on with it and the tories will do better than expected in the election

RedDevilsShinja likes this.
  7. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    I don't see the Tories being any better in this mess to be honest. In fighting to the point they had to have 2 MP's on QT every week to reflect both sides of the party. Plus they are the ones who wanted and forced through the referendum in the first place rather than handling Farage properly and debating him at the time.

JTC77 likes this.
  8. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers

I don't even.

9. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Well if we just leave won't that make Farage happy?

10. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I think his anti-Juncker feelings have overpowered his desire to leave.

11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Juncker doesn't have a say, only the 27 leaders will have a vote in deciding whether or not to allow a further extension.

12. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I agree. I don't understand why Nigel Farage is pro-Benn act and anti-Juncker saying it's this or no deal when he wants no deal.

13. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Farage and the BP will criticise Johnson whatever he got, but No Deal is the least popular choice, and the Tories would be mad to pursue that as a policy. They would effectively be fighting over little more than 20% of the vote. For every vote they win from the BP they'd lose more to opposition parties, particularly the Lib Dems.

I think you've been exposed to too much Brexit propaganda and it's made you paranoid :laugh::laugh: If its a confirmatory vote the, and public will be ratifying the decision to leave with Johnsons deal, which would have already been made. If Johnson's deal wins, which has a good chance, then it shoots the argument that Leavers didn't know what they were voting for, and Leave was undefined and not specific enough, down in flames. The majority of Remain MPs and voters would accept the result of that referendum, which is all most have been calling for, for the past 3 years.

A general election is the only other sensible option but it could result in another hung parliament. I also think given Brexit is important and we have already had two referendums it is better settle by direct democracy.

If there is an election before any referendum, I think their best bet will be pushing their deal as the sensible middle ground, which avoids a reckless No Deal Brexit and respects the 2016 referendum. In a general election where the Lib Dems and BP could get close to 20% pushing either extreme, they might pull it off under FPTP. The one good thing that might come out of this, could be we have another think about electoral reform.

14. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    My take is Farage wants an election so he can finally become an MP, calling for No Deal, and attacking the Tories with it. I think Junker is actually trying to help Johnson by putting a bit of pressure on MPs to vote his deal through, as they are as fed up as the UK with this rumbling on and on.

15. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Farage doesnt want to be an MP.

He only wants Brexit.

16. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Why does he hate the country so much?

17. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    :laugh: What really makes me chuckle is remainers double standards. I’ve heard so many remainers rightly arguing that we are a parliamentary democracy. But now we should get the people to ratify a deal and not parliament? Maybe we should have a referendum on whether we should have another referendum?

The people didn’t know what they were voting for is an argument used by pro remain mp’s to strengthen their argument. It’s an excuse not an argument. Where are these people? Know ones heard from them, just the mps arguing for another referendum

Let’s see what happens Saturday. If the deal fails and the opposition are still too scared to have a GE, I think there’s a fair chance that it will benefit the tories when we do finally have it. And a hung parliament can happen any time. Let’s look at the polls and predictions for the referendum, US election and last 2 British elections. All were mostly wrong to varying degrees. None of us actually know how the GE will go

Mowgli and RedDevilsShinja like this.
  18. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Him standing in general elections 7 times suggests otherwise.

19. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Under UKIP banner you daft ####

20. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Tbh he’s actually achieved far more politically than almost every mp in the last few years. I don’t really like him (certainly not his policies in general), but him not being an mp is completely irrelevant. He’s achieved what he set out to do, had the Tory PM scared enough to gamble the countries future, and gained millions of supporters in the process. As a politician he’s been incredibly successful