1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit What should happen?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Nov 16, 2018.

?

What should happen now

1. Leave with May's deal

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 2nd referendum weve changed our mind

40 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Cancel it altogether

29 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. No Deal **** the EU and lefty snowflakes

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Absolutely agree. Its part of the reason why we are unlikely to approve the deal on Saturday, and why we will likley be in limbo until someone grow some Jacobs and calls a GE. Who knows when that will be.

2. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Apparently he heard Spurs were playing with momentum and got the wrong end of the stick,

3. NorfolkSaddler

NorfolkSaddler Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall

Labour won't.
    They know they are about to be bum raped in every leave constituent they hold.
    3 whip order in process for the Labour party regarding this deal.
    Jon Lansman is calling for all Labour MP's who vote for the deal to be deselected, once again proving Momentum run the Labour party.
    I, personally, think Boris will call a "no confidence vote" on himself to force an election.

Momentum founder calls for Labour MPs who back Boris Johnson's Brexit deal to be deselected

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  4. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Well that is the interesting thing isn't it. I heard Stammer banging on about how he will be talking to any that are waivering. these labour MPs will lose their job, and quite frankly, it will be what they deserve. Many of these are in overwhelming leave areas. Leavers in these areas may well feel betrayed! Getting some of these across to the deal is the only way it will pass imo.

the whole situation regards a GE is laughable. I'm generally a labour supporter but I can't support holding the country in Brexit limbo purely because you have made lots of bad decision in the last couple of years. I've said in another post that I think this deliberate delaying of a GE will benefit the Tories. The opposition parties (apart from labour) clearly do understand their voters that want to stay, but are completely underestimating those that don't, or those who just want us to move on. And there appear to be quite a few of those. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tories get a majority when it happens

Mowgli and NorfolkSaddler like this.
  5. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Not even sure Boris doing that would get through. A GE would show us who has come out of this fiasco worse. Labour's constant dithering Vs Tory incompetence, what a choice. Ad 2 that 2 of the last 3 GE's have been hung Parliaments with the one in the middle being won by the smallest majority ever and you wonder if a GE will solve anything at all. At the last GE we were told that labour would get hammered by leave area's but they didn't, most of those constituencies would vote for a dead rat with a Labour badge on. The FPTP system puts many off voting for BP or LD's so if Leave voters don't punish the main parties and stick with what they know, nothing changes after a GE and the numbers remain much the same as now. A 2nd referendum would draw a lot of people abstaining as well, whats the point, we told you once, why is this any different, slippery buggers will wriggle out of it again. Tories have run out of wiggle room so a GE is last choice, Labour know they have been poor in opposition and both know they will lose votes even to people not voting or voting a minority party.

In all honesty, even if we do both a GE and a 2nd referendum, we will end up with a choice of Leave with No Deal or withdraw A50, when all is said and done, they are the choices as no deal brought to Parliament by a PM will get through.

Jonny Ninja and NorfolkSaddler like this.
  6. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    As the local MP, I imagine he was probably involved in consultations and meetings about the Northumberland Development Project.

NorfolkSaddler likes this.
  7. NorfolkSaddler

Supports:
    Walsall
    From the BBC live feed of today's proceedings
    "
    Labour MP Ronnie Campbell, who is standing down at the next election, said "at the moment" he would vote to support the deal.

But he told the BBC: "I am getting a lot of pressure from the head lads of the Labour Party... to abstain."

Mr Campbell said party leader Jeremy Corbyn, shadow chancellor John McDonnell and party chairman Ian Lavery had been in contact since his declaration of support for the Withdrawal Agreement on Thursday.

The Blyth MP added as many as 12 Labour MPs could cross the floor to vote for Mr Johnson's deal on Saturday".

Could be all above board I agree but I don't see other MP's claiming expenses regarding the past time football.

8. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    £500 is a nice round figure though? :hmmm

9. NorfolkSaddler

Supports:
    Walsall
    And there is the problem. We have MP's preaching about stopping "no deal" and we "must have a deal" and now a deal is on the table they will reject it, playing stupid party politics.
    Corbyn came out yesterday saying he will vote against the deal............this was before even reading it.
    Personally, and this is only my view, a GE will sort it.
    Tories stance : we will deliver Brexit.
    Labour stance : we will ask for an extension and get a delay to get a new deal then have another referendum where we will campaign to remain.
    Lib Dems stance : we will ignore June 2016 (as if it never happened) and remain in the EU so Jo's husband can stay on the gravy train.
    Brexit Party stance : no deal and sod what happens.
    Greens stance : aren't them XR people lovely tree huggers.
    SNP stance : we want independence so we can hand control over to the EU and Blackford is about to burst a blood vessel.

Mowgli likes this.
  10. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    We must be odds on for a second referendum by now.

Meanwhile Boris's puppetmasters put another idiot up to blunder into sharing the real plan.......

Getting a deal is their only route to an election and No Deal.

11. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    The Tories stood on the same promise at the last GE that they called early and May dubbed "The Brexit Election" and a lot of people don't believe them anymore. I know a lot of mates who voted Tory for first time ever and they wouldn't do it again, they will either vote BP or not at all now. Labour have at least pinned their colours to a mast, Tories saying we will deliver Brexit, bearing in mind if there is a GE then they would have just asked for another extension may not convince people.

12. Sam

Sam Registered User

Supports:
    N/A
    My guess would be it was to hire a room (or rooms) for an event of some sort.

Whilst that website (Find out what your UK MP's been claiming for at MPsExpenses.info) does offer some transparency on MPs expenses, the fact there is no back up or more detailed information on the claims means you're going to end up with more questions than answers with cases like this.

13. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I’d also expect the majority of those kicked out of the party to support it as well. Their issue was no deal and this would avoid it. It could be close!

14. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Assuming all the Tory MP's vote for it? The DUP have already said no, Tories aren't exactly on the same page these days.

15. NorfolkSaddler

Supports:
    Walsall

I agree. Both major parties (I don't consider the Lib Dems any threat, their ideas are up there with the fairies) stood on an election manifesto vowing to honor the referendum result but this is a different Torie party.
    Gone are doom and gloom Hammond, appeaser Theresa, EU loving cos of her brother Amber Rudd (the only one I had time for was Jeremy Hunt) we now have a party that are adamant they will deliver Brexit.
    Labour change their mind more than the local lady of the night in Norwich changes her knickers (local to me but I HAVEN'T visited .........yet) does.
    Let's take it to the people, as the main parties keep claiming, let's have a GE on their stances.
    Labour will become the 3rd party that is for sure.
    The only way Labour can recover is get rid of Corbyn and his cronies.

I think it will be a very close vote.
    A lot of Labour MP's in Leave constituents are now swaying towards it.
    They are thinking of the next GE.

Andy SFC likes this.
  16. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    I don't think Boris is the Brexiteer he claims, nor a lot of them really. Mogg is in the same bracket as Farage, he is milking Brexit for every pretty penny. I don't think many of them are commited to anything other than what they pocket out of this mess.

17. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I am sure everyone knew what they were voting for but it is pretty obvious that people voted leave for different reasons, and had different visions of what Brexit would look like. Take Johnson, Mogg et al who see the deal they will present to Parliament tomorrow as a Brexit that they voted for. However, Farage, another prominent Brexiteer doesn't believe this is a Brexit he voted for, and nor does Arlene Foster and the DUP, who each have their own visions of the Brexit which they each voted for. There's also the likes of Dennis Skinner and the Lexiteers, who voted for a different Brexit all together.

So while each person knows what they themselves voted for, a number of them voted for a different Brexit, and want only the Brexit they voted for. I don't think either Johnson/Mogg, or Farage could be called Brexit traitors, and the likes of Dennis Skinner has been anti-EU since before Mogg or Johnsons entered parliament, so it would be unfair to call any of them traitors or sell outs for trying to stop a Brexit that they didn't vote for. However, it doesn't demonstrate that as a combined 52%, Leavers didn't really know what Brexit would be like.

#5897 JTC77, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  18. NorfolkSaddler

Supports:
    Walsall

Time will tell my friend.
    I agree regarding Farage. As soon as the deal was agreed he was all over Twitter slating it.
    Farage, my opinion only, is pissed off that a deal might be agreed which will take him out of the limelight.
    That is all he craves the limelight. We leave the EU where does that put him ?
    Mr nobody with no purpose.
    I voted Leave but have never been a "Farage Groupie", I hate the bloke.

19. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'm not his biggest fan either, but it was fear of Farage and UKIP that made Cameron put the referendum in the manifesto. Prior to that it was just the Lib Dems promising a referendum to try and pick up the odd disgruntled Tory. Although he's never been an MP, he's had quite a big impact on UK politics, and Brexit.

20. NorfolkSaddler

Supports:
    Walsall
    1, Arlene or the DUP never voted for Brexit, Northern Ireland was Remain but the difference is they have accepted the Union vote unlike the SNP.
    2, I voted to Leave the EU and all it's facalties, I knew what I voted for.
    3, And you know this because ? Asked 17.4 million voters have you ? If so you forgot to ask my opinion.