1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighton vs Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by superyids, Oct 4, 2019.

1. terrier4eva

terrier4eva Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    Weird looking fella too, creeps me out a bit - just very dorky looking :laugh:

When he's strolling round doing his stuff though he's class. £20mil in Jan will get him :D

2. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I knew Brighton would win and delighted for them they did, about time their performances earned them 3 points.

On Spurs, massive issues on and off the pitch. It’s sad to see them fall from grace to be honest as I like their fans on here.

julian, DFP and whitelion like this.
  3. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Bad time to be a Spurs fan. Serious problems in the team and I don't think Poch will be able to turn it around, and actually get the players playing. If he survives after the week he has had, it's going to be a massive uphill battle to get the players playing again and to get the fans back believing he is the man for the job.

4. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    This is the first time in Poch his tenure I've been really worried. I've mostly ignored all the doomsay because it happened every season and was based on a lot of speculation and was usually proven right.
    Even after losing 7-2 to Bayern I didn't think the worst because for a big part of the match we didn't play that bad and just came against a Bayern side that were ruthless and scored every chance they had. Any other day and that game would have had a more normal scoreline like 3-1 or 4-2.

I don't think I'm a delusional fan and I understand a team can go on a run of bad results like we've had in the last couple of weeks, we're not of the level of Man City or Liverpool right now where you'd expect us to be flawless, unless everything goes right we'll have bad games and bad spells but after being humiliated against Bayern you'd expect a response. You can lose any game of football against any opponent because of poor finishing or great finishing of the other team or good or bad fortune but today we got completely outplayed against a team you'd expect us to win against. Brighton were great today but even at their best I expect us Spurs to make it a competitive game at least.

2/3 seasons ago we didn't always play great football either but we were extremely tough to play against. When we played well our midfield bossed every team around, our fullbacks were constant threats and created space for our front 3 to do their things and on top of that we had Alderweireld and Vertonghen who could feed balls over the top to Son, Alli or Kane. Even when we played poorly we had Dembele, Dier and Wanyama in midfield to restrict the other team from playing.

Ever since Dembele left we've just lost that. Sissoko had a great season last year but he's still limited, Ndombele is still adjusting but looks decent enough. Trippier last season was disastrous but looks amazing at Atletico right now, Aurier is our best right back but he's a wildcard and from the looks of it Poch doesn't seem to know what to do with RB. Playing Foyth, Sanchez, Aurier, KWP, Sissoko there.

Our last season before Poch our fullbacks we're similarly exposed, Walker and Rose looked like sunday league footballers. I know non Spurs fans never rated Dier but we lacked a 6 and he came in and suddenly we had the best defensive record in the league and Walker and Rose were the best fullbacks that season.

I don't know what's going on but something needs to change because I honestly believe we have the 3rd best squad in the league player for player and besides rightback we shouldn't have any glaring weaknesses. These players have proven they can play some amazing football together, it's not a team that's quickly bought together that looks like it should be able to perform but can't play with eachother. Very little has changed in the last couple of seasons and we've even got a decent amount of depth and competition for most positions.

I'm still hopeful and think we can turn it around but it's becoming very worrisome, our away form since january has been disastrous but I think most of us could accept that given our CL run and the crazy amount of injuries we had.
    But if we still want to have a good season this extended run of poor performances has to change.
    Hope Poch is the man to turn it around another time and I still have faith in him. Heck, even just trying something completely different would be good right now, I'd rather see us try new things and fail miserably but make progress than sticking to the same thing that's clearly not working right now whether it's because of the system or the players.

Time to end my rant I guess.

Congrats to Brighton on a very good game and deserved win.

5. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    for me spurs need to have a hard think.

my front line would be moura son alli (if alli was fit)

And my midield would be winks eriksen sissoko

they are fixated on Harry Kane who isn't moving and as a result spurs press is gone totally. that's.my view anyway. the lad has had ankle injuries and I don't think he's working well.

6. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead Pints x Packet x Potter

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Well done on showing you have no clue about football

7. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Sister's wedding yesterday so missed the game, probably for the best.

Probably a good time for an international break.

"Poch out" doesn't fix the problems. I've said it under AVB/Sherwood and I'll say it again here, I don't give a toss if you like or have faith in the manager. You go out and do your best regardless.

These players are massively under-performing. As Beelz said I think, this is the 3rd best team in the league in my opinion. It was criminal they didn't finish 3rd last year but forgivable with the Champions League run. They won't get the same forgiveness in the coming weeks.

Roll on two weeks without Spurs tbh. Hopefully we sort our shit out after the break.

Whether Poch stays or goes, these players are still going to be here so they need to play their way back in to some form.

8. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    imo there a massive cl hangover here.

how on earth kane merits his place never mind lamela.

for me moura hasn't been right since.

9. Coys4

Coys4 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    You clearly have something against Kane and know nothing about football.

Poch and Levy both said at the end of last season a painful rebuild was needed but I think they both expected Eriksen and Alderweireld to be sold to free up space and wages to bring in new players.

Nobody took Aldy for his cheap £25m and nobody bid on Eriksen. Can't hold that against Spurs. They tried for Dybala but it fell through and two of the signings they did make are currently injured.

If Poch is willing to go back to his old mentality then I'm all for him staying and guiding the rebuild. But if he is going to stay the negative, stubborn Poch he is now then he needs to go.

Spurs used to develop young players and play an exciting pressing game. Our young players are now regressing and we stopped pressing and try playing a midfield diamond that never works.

I find it funny people also scream for Moura to start. You obviously have only watched some Spurs CL matches because starting in the league he is worse than Kane and Son. He even started against Colchester and was awful.

Moura is a perfect sub when used correctly.

10. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    I clearly haven't anything against the guy and do know what I'm talking as i'm comparing him to his own former self and he's nowhere near the level he was at. Please deny the fact that he's had two serious ankle injuries and is not moving like he used to.

you've highlighed moura's form but have missed the point that he was flying til poch dropped him for CL final and frankly he's not been the same since. Can you explain the player's drop off in other terms?

Can you explain how son was awesome last year up front but isn't cutting it now?

can you explain how on earth you are picking lamela? I can't bar moura is sulking.

Yes you tried it on to lay hands on dybala and coutinho. Very ambitious. perhaps it would have been better to address the actual issues that you've cleary got.

Honestly eriksen was at the centre of everything good about spurs. He should've been moved on but clearly nobody actually has entered serious negotiations. who knows why. Having him but not using him then expecting him to turn it on is also a bit much.

11. Coys4

Coys4 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    1. Kane is playing a different role than he did two years ago because the attack has changed. He used to drop deep and have wingers get in behind but Spurs do not attack like that anymore. When Kane has service, he is the best finisher Spurs have. But when midfield can't get past Brighton's midfield, not much Kane can do.

2. Moura was not "flying" last year. He had a hat-trick against Ajax but leg 1 against Ajax and both legs against City he did nothing. He also played against City, Brighton, Bournemouth and Everton in the league the games leading up to and after the Ajax match and did nothing. He had one great match and was overrated by it.

3. Son is and always has been a streak player. When he goes on a run, nobody can match him but he will go on a poor form out of nowhere and takes a few matches to get out of it. He has had some very good chances the past few matches but missed them. Again, how does that have anything to do with Kane?

4. Lamela was Spurs best player for the start of the season. He has struggled lately but he is one of "Pochs guys" and will always play when fit. My biggest issue with Poch is his stubbornness with his favorites (Lloris is another one)

5. I already explained why Spurs couldn't address certain issues, they weren't able to sell the dead weight.

6. Eriksen hasn't been good for almost a year now. Arsenal and Southampton have been his only good matches this season. He hasn't shown up for a big CL game in a year outside of leg 2 against Ajax and is one of the biggest debates against Spurs fans. If we could have sold him and replaced him, it would have been best but it didn't work. Again, people who don't watch every match complain he's not being used enough but people who do watch realize he's a shell of himself. His best attitude, free kicks, have been awful for 2 years as well.

12. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    no 1. is fair enough, bar the fact that you've not addressed his lack of mobility. you've stuck him up front on his own. he needs ot lead whatever press you have.

no 2? the city games were very tough ones. To say your own player did nothing.. .fair enough. he was trying to get into your side and when he did i thought he did fine.

No 3. A lot of lads rate son more than I do but for me he's a central player and all about running and directness. I think he plays better in the middle personally. I'd agree about streaks but a lot of players have them

no 4. I personally think lamela is total rubbish so maybe i'm biased on him.

No 5. selling people on its own can't explain the brighton game.

no 6. Eriksen is brilliant. Would love to have him. maybe poch doesn't have a clue how to use a talent like him ;)

13. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    I think Spurs will be best served (when everyone is fit) going to a 4-2-3-1.

Have Lo Celso and Ndombele as your pivot and give Lo Celso the more license to go forward . Eriksen on the right, Alli down the middle, Son on the left and Kane up front. Lucas can be used as a sub.

I know Spurs fan like Winks, but Ndombele and Lo Celso are just better than him, even at what Winks does best.