1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brilliant or Bonkers...Passing out from the Back

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by ByTheRiver, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Villa Rocker

Villa Rocker Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    It’s simple. If you have the type of players that can play it out from the back then do it. If not then clear it up the field.

2. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    as in all things variety is the spice of life. :)

by all means retain possession. IF you can.

if you dont give each other options then you will inevitably end up.going backwards and end up with a long clearance.

if you look at otamendi and stones last weekend. ridiculous.

otamendi doesn't want ball. he's facing wrong way. he's not aware of anything around him. stones plays ball to him when he shouldn't as it's obvious he's not up for it.

then look at norwich. really trying so hard.

what i like is how my club will mix it up and keep teams honest. most clubs don't press our cbs cos they are so worried about our fast forwards gettimg in behind as weve lads who can play it 40-60 yards on a dime.

our only fault is falling I to playing it direct too.mich when we are leading and we could just pass it round back and hold it.

3. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Its like when teams do try to go long - you need the players suited for it.

With the close rage passing a defender hasn't really got time to look up and wonder where he should pass next - it needs to be done on instinct before the attackers put pressure on.

Of course they could just fall over when tackled and claim a foul - I think that is what the Arsenal players were claiming after their cock up!

4. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    it's got to be for a purpose not just because.

it's lunacy to take big risks to have 4 or 5 opponents press you and you just break it and then just do nothing with it. why take the risk. if the end goal is to score a goal then you are trying to draw opponents and make space so need to exploit the gaps fast.

if you are doing it to keep the ball then you need commitment to have the out ball wide, there's always somewhere you can play to.

it you are only doing it cos the rules changed on goal kicks and have no idea what to do next... well...

5. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city

Past 2 years?

kloppbeliever likes this.
  6. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Or Otamendi

Edit. Beaten to it

kloppbeliever likes this.
  7. Srnicek

Srnicek Registered User

Supports:
    Newcastle
    Am I right in thinking that the ball has to leave the penalty area from a goal kick before an opposition player touches it?

8. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    No, apparently the ball is in play once the keeper kicks it, but opposition players can't enter the area until he's kicked the ball.

Football's new laws: Penalties, backpasses, handballs and subs

9. Srnicek

Srnicek Registered User

Supports:
    Newcastle
    Thanks, don't know why but I was under the impression the opponents couldn't touch it until it left the penalty area even with the new rule.
    I learn every day

10. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    That'll probably be next years's rule!

11. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Well, I am against highly defensive football, it kills the purpose, but I understand that, sometimes, an underdog that somehow found itself up could try to play 10 men behind the ball, it is pretty common and justified anyways.

But, if you are an underdog and your team is inferior to your opponent's team, then I don't see how you can benefit from that, you could easily lose the ball in a dangerous position.

12. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
  13. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah I’ve more confidence in Adrian than I had Migs but roll on when Alisson is back tbh. It surely can’t be long now?

It all just seems a bit erratic at Arsenal in every sense. Not just defensively all over the shop but like their manager just picks a team and hopes for the best without there been a plan etc. I’m probably, as always, not getting what I mean across - I do that often.

14. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    It stinks of mismanagement from the top down. I mean if Xhaka is wearing the armband then you have issues. Emery is starting to look a bit out of his depth (his tactics at Anfield?) and it might have seeped into the squad - the saving grace is Aubameyang, brilliant striker.

15. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    It astonishes me that a little terrier like torreira is left out for Xhaka.

I don't get that.

they have a lot of good things going for them but they are firmly in transition and may need to transition emry out.

Front line. really nice.
    Young players really good.
    Midfield has options.

Their issues are all above:
    Back line is atrocious.
    Keeper isn't the top level
    inconsistencies in selection.
    tactical issues
    softness.

It'll eventually click or emry will go.

16. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Emery seems a nice guy, but maybe he’s just a little bit too nice in his management style. He’s shown some promise as manager but not consistently enough. Be interesting to see how long Arsenal fans will be patient.

17. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    If it gets to February/March and Arsenal are lagging behind Man Utd and Chelsea (both managed by club legends) do they go and plump for Thierry Henry... I can see it.

Even Vieira come to think of it.

18. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Some ignorance being displayed here about Arsenal. Firstly Xhaka. Why does Xhaka play? Why does other players get left out?

Xhaka is in the team for his ball progression. He's very good at breaking the lines and moving the ball up the pitch. Since January 2018, no other player in this league has passed the ball into the final third more often than Xhaka. No one. That's why he continues to play and it's a part of his game that will continue to be overshadowed due to his erratic nature without the ball. Am I saying he's a good player? No. Am I saying he's underrated? No. Despite his obvious flaws, he's still vital to how we play when we have the ball. However, hopefully, Guendouzi's evolution and progression as a player will hopefully see Xhaka phased out of the side in the coming months and we can move forward with Torreira and Guendouzi as our midfield partnership.

This is a damning assessment of Emery. He's one of the most meticulous planners out there so for you to have that impression shows how badly he's getting it wrong.

No. The kingmakers at United don't know what they are doing and Chelsea were backed into a corner due to circumstance and had to appoint Lampard.

Arsenal have football people running the club and I'd like to think they have a bit more of an idea of what to do next should we move Emery on. IF we go down the fresh young approach, chances are it'll be Freddie Ljungberg. And certainly not Thierry Henry.

#38 A Gooner, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  19. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    As for the actual thread, it's brilliant if you get it right. Suck in the press, play around it, get at the opposition's defence.

The interesting thing is everyone is doing it so it'll be interesting to what the next big tactical shift is.

20. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    It won’t be long until top defending becomes priority imo, I think Mourinho is waiting for football to change again before he gets back in managing.