1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Bundesliga Thread

Discussion in 'General Worldwide Football Discussion' started by Dirk, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Already the 5th loss in 13 Bundesliga matches for Borussia.
    Both Union goals after a corner.

But they have now the youngest Bundesliga Scorer of all time in their team. ;)
    Moukoko with 16 years and 28 days replaces now Bayer Leverkusens Florian Wirtz who scored last season his 1st goal at the age of 17 years and 33 days.
    ( From this season on the minimum age to play in the Bundesliga was reduced to 16 years. That's why Moukoko could make his 1st Bundesliga match 4 weeks ago.)

@StillHurts31 : Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi again with a goal for Union Berlin. Last game against Stuttgart he scored too. Has now 4 goals overall in 11 matches (3 of it he played only in the last 20 minutes)

Re: Schalke 04 ....again :laugh:
    Sacked Coach Manuel Baum on Friday after only 10 matches (he replaced David Wagner after 2 matches). Chaotic!
    OK, Baum is the first ever coach at Schalke who couldn't win in his first 10 matches but not many coaches would have done the miracle to win with this team in the past months.
    Old Huub Stevens interims coach for the last 2 matches in this year (today against Bielefeld and in the Cup against Regionalliga Südwest (4th tier) club SSV Ulm 1846.
    Now they have with Wagner and Baum 2 ex-coaches on the payroll until 2022.

#1321 Dirk, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    StillHurts31 likes this.
  2. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    After a 5-game drought, I see that HSV are finally back to winning ways, D. Very tight at the top of the Zwei though and I'm sure you won't be satisfied until promotion is secured. St Pauli look to be in a big mess too which can make you happy (until they get actually relegated which won't be cool because no more derby day). St Pauli have been in the top 2 divisions since 2007, would be sad to see them go down. A massive game at Würzburg (bottom hosting second bottom) got postponed for some reason.

Speaking of 3rd league, there's good and bad news regarding big clubs in this league. My beloved Sechzig are doing great although we could only manage a draw last night vs Wiesbaden. We're 2nd on points today with neighbours Ingolstadt. Dresden top the league and could make a swift return to the Zwei after finishing bottom last season. However, some massive clubs are facing relegation to non-league: Lautern, Duisburg and Magdeburg are the bottom 3. We won at the Fritz-Walter 3-0 in midweek and never an away win felt so painful.

Looking forward to Leverkusen/Bayern, today. Really hope Bayer can win the league. They're our only hope!

3. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Great stuff! What’s the fans sentiments around him? He seems to be doing pretty well over there.

4. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
  5. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    FT: Leverkusen 1:2 Bayern

Unfortunately, Kingsley Coman was injured early and replaced by Sané. This is disappointing to us, as Coman has been one of our best and most consistent players this season, amassing an impressive number of assists and goals, and living up to the world-class ability he always had right from the start years ago.

Good to see Kimmich back from injury in the 2nd half. He's been immense for Bayern over the past few seasons.

As for the result, it was a deserved victory and the boys are back on top, where they belong. How cute of people to think that Leverkusen pose us a threat. Die Werkself did start well, as Bayern were garbage in the beginning and struggled to keep possession due to Leverkusen's aggressive and high pressing. Our passing under pressure wasn't good enough for major portions of the game, giving the ball away too easily, and work needs to be done there. The same goes for Müller, and with that kind of performance, I don't care if Löw doesn't nominate him, as he wasn't good enough. I know Müller can do it and he's convinced everyone last season, but I rate the present, not the past.

It's also obvious we miss Thiago who won't come back, and Goretzka who will. Alaba and Tolisso played there, and it's Alaba's favourite position, but he isn't used to it since he's played in defence the whole time at Bayern and is really only used to that position for Austria. He has done a good job at DM in the past, but whether he can do it there now won't be answered by one game, in which he wasn't good.

Tolisso was ok, but not great, which is often the case. Kimmich's return from injury is good news. Sané didn't have a good game and deserved coming off early in the 2nd, although he showed one promising moment of exceptional dribbling skill, but in a risky DMC position. He's forgiven since he's not back in swing after a very long injury.

Our defence overall did a decent job, and apart from Patrik Schick's fantastic volley goal, which I encourage everyone to see, Leverkusen posed little, if any trouble for Neuer. This is good news, as it seems to have improved compared to the defensive chaos we've seen for weeks. Süle owned Diaby, despite playing a non-standard RB role, and Davies owned Bailey despite only recently returning from a long injury. Boateng and Hernandez were also both very solid at the central back and the entire backline really shut down Leverkusen's offence. Despite the sleepy start, Bayern gradually gained control, and while the game was evenly matched, it was Bayern ultimately creating more chances and showing that decisive bite away from home. Lewandowski did a great job grabbing both goals and congratulations to him for being awarded FIFA World Player of the Year.

Musiala came on and again showed exceptional composure and skill, including a tricky shot between a bunch of defenders that was well placed and only denied by the post.

Unlucky for both Hradecky and Tah to collide allowing Lewa's equaliser, but lack of concentration from Tah giving the ball to Bayern in a dangerous position for Lewa's 2nd. Tah has good ability, but he does seem to lack focus often. While I'm not usually worried if Leverkusen fail, we need Tah to be at his best for the national team.

#1325 Oli H., Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  6. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    yes, it seems so. He already had former experience in the Bundesliga (with Mainz and now Berlin) and Bundesliga 2 (FSV Frankfurt) so knows the German football better than the English one.

btw: I read a bit about him in the German and English wikipedia entryand saw that he's at LFC since 2015 but was always loaned to other clubs every season (Netherlands, Belgium and Germany). In fact, Union Berlin, is already the 7th club he joined as a loanee. :eeek

He doesn't possess a work permit for the UK? So he can't even play for LFC? (Not that he has a chance to play in this star ensemble actually ).

#1326 Dirk, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    StillHurts31 likes this.
  7. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Sadly not, think he’ll need to get a few caps for Nigeria, which is a tall order, before he’d be eligible. Likelihood is he will leave this Summer I think.

Dirk likes this.
  8. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    You mean, he would only get a work permit for the UK if he's a "more prominent" ballplayer in his country, meaning a national team player for the adult team (not only the youth teams where he already played)?
    Is this politics already Brexit related? I ask, because it is (and was) no problem for him to play in EU countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and now Germany but not in the UK?

Union Berlin would be more than pleased to give him a permanent contract (if he plays like he's actually playing). And I don't think that Liverpool would want a too high transfer fee given that the guy never played for your club in the league, right?

StillHurts31 likes this.
  9. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah for none Eu countries we have this ‘points system’ which will also be coming into affect for eu players I assume.

If I’m not mistaken it’s based on:
    International game’s played as a percentage of potential games over a period
    Wage compared to team average
    Transfer fee compared to team average
    Games played in domestic leagues

Or something like that.

To be honest I’m not sure what we’d want for him, we tend to be very good at getting high fees for our players regardless of whether they’ve played for us with any consistency or not. Personally think we’d be looking for 5m or so, not sure if that would work with Union’s budgets in a season with no fans?

Dirk likes this.
  10. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    FT: Karlsruher SC 1:2 HSV

Hamburg get their third win in row thanks to in-form Terodde's skillful poaching after 80 minutes. It looked an even game until then, Terodde's 14th goal of the season. Karlsruhe's coaches were furious with the referee when they had Heise sent off slightly earlier with a strict second yellow after he accidentally trampled his opponent midair. Tough luck for them.

Things look a lot more grim for St. Pauli, as they were beaten 3:0 at home by Düsseldorf on Sunday. No one is surprised Düsseldorf are the better side, but what is surprising is how badly St. Pauli's season started. They're 17th with only one win in 12 games. They won't be mocking HSV much these days.

1. Bundesliga: Schalke 0:1 Arminia Bielefeld

This is getting ridiculous as Schalke are approaching a whole year without a win. Their last victory was on January 17th, 2020 and they now stand at 29 games without a win. If they don't get a win within two Bundesliga games, they'll also equalize Tasmania Berlin's all-time record of 31 Bundesliga games without a victory from season 1965/66.

Some of us have already said that Schalke's squad is overrated, but they do have some decent players, as every Bundesliga team should. There are still teams in this league that aren't better, or arguably even worse on paper. Bielefeld should've been opponents that Schalke can beat, but Schalke have no confidence due to the long poor run. It must be a horrible feeling, like trying to climb out of a deep hole with a fear of not making it. I really feel for the boys, as you can see they're motivated, try hard and very disappointed after each game. Yet they must win now to avoid being remembered for the worst record in Bundesliga history for the rest of their careers.

On Tuesday, Schalke play away against third division SSV Ulm for the 2nd round of the DFB Pokal. Hopefully they can start with a win at Ulm to rebuild some confidence. Their next Bundesliga games are away at Hertha BSC on the 2nd of January, then Hoffenheim at home on January 9th. Come on Schalke! It's not impossible. Keep your heads up and win these games!

#1330 Oli H., Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  11. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Terodde is a beast in Bundesliga 2 (not so in Bundesliga 1, though). I'm very glad we got him this season. Saved us already a lot of points

3 wins in a row. Franz Beckenbauer would say " Ja, is' denn heut' scho' Weihnachten?"

edit: http://www.footballforums.net/threads/first-to-a-million-replies.215481/page-25585#post-9484159

SCNR :D Good night!

Many of my friends and work colleagues are St.Pauli fans and I always have to endure their banter when we can't win against them. But tbh I don't want them to go down.

*4th division ;). Third division would be 3.Liga but SSV Ulm is playing actually in the Regionalliga Südwest.
    20 years ago they even played for one season in the Bundesliga1 under coach Ralf Rangnick. But then came the deep fall and they went into administration and were bankrupt. They fell down into the Verbandsliga.
    Unlike you I want Ulm to advance against Schalke. The Knappen already had the luck to play in the 1st round against a 4th tier club, Schweinfurt. Their only win in corona-times so far.

btw: What do you think about the spitting incident of Gladbach's Marcus Thuram against Hoffenheims Posch? Absolutely disgusting behaviour!
    The DFB Sports Tribunal just banned him for 5 matches plus 40.000 Euro fine (that is, btw, the highest ever fine that the DFB has given to a Bundesliga player. Former record was Kevin de Bruyne's 20.000 Euro fine). Plus Borussia Mönchengladbach fined him with a monthly salary (reportedly 150.000 Euro?), given to a charity organization.

#1331 Dirk, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  12. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    Ah, 4th division, sorry. I did read your earlier post on Schalke when you mentioned the Ulm game, but I'm surprised SSV are that far down since their good old days. I do remember a certain Sascha Rösler from Ulm in the 1.BL, although I can't remember Rangnick was coach. I don't really mind if Ulm beat Schalke, I just want Schalke to cheer up, and I don't want such a big, historic BL giant going down. I don't want St.Pauli to go down either. I do expect Schalke to beat Ulm, however mad that is to say, given the poor run and the alternate physics of the Pokal. We'll see.

I was shocked Marcus Thuram could do such a thing, as I never saw anything nasty from his father and thought he too would have good manners and respect his opponents as human beings. I was actually a fan of Marcus Thuram until the spitting. I don't know when, or if he'll ever win me over again. I think his punishments are fairly measured. He could've been banned for ten games, but five including the big fines will do. It's good of Gladbach to donate their own fine of the monthly salary to charity.

13. Philip The Frog

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Agree with most of your match report on Bayer/Bayern,@Oli H. Just reckon you were much more under pressure in the first half than you're making out to be. The central midfield pairing of Tolisso and Alaba wasn't good and Leverkusen bossed the midfield as a result which put a lot of pressure on the defence and Neuer but, as you quite rightly pointed out, he was not really called upon that often. I wouldn't say that Süle and Davies "owned" the Leverkusen players they were marking but Diaby and Bailey certainly could have done much more damage in the final 3rd and didn't. All in all, it was a lot of energy for just a one-goal lead until Leverkusen gifted Bayern a goal. Completely undeserved but ridiculous defending really. A great 1st half to watch, nonetheless.

2nd half was less of a great watch as Leverkusen were out of breath and out of ideas while Bayern got into the game replacing players who had sub-par performances (Tolisso never really impresses when he plays, does he? How do you see his Bayern career evolving?) by the excellent Kimmich (amazing that he's back so soon, I thought his injury was a long-term one but the Dortmund game was less than 2 months ago) and Musiala (one for the future for England surely, lovely little player) while Leverkusen brought on Demirbay and Alario (meh).

I think Leverkusen deserved but they really should have been more dangerous. Bayern's title again this season, then. Never was under no illusion that Dortmund couldn't challenge but held some hope for Leverkusen. Not so. Still, they're the best team in the country behind Bayern for me. CL football next season surely.

14. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    I said Bayern were garbage in the beginning due to Leverkusen's pressing and that our passing wasn't good enough to keep hold of possession for large portions of the game. Despite the midfield's inability to control Leverkusen, our backline mostly did their job well in stopping major chances, which is what I was very pleased about, since that hasn't been the case for months. Maybe Süle and Davies could've made Diaby and Bailey look even more useless, but they did their job in preventing them from creating havoc from the flanks. I'm sure you'll also agree Süle didn't suffer from any speed deficits against the very fast Diaby. Gradually, our midfield did get better and our attack started working towards the end of the first and for most of the second half. Leverkusen indeed had to conserve energy.

I appreciate you wanting to congratulate us to the title already, but we're under no illusions while standing only two points clear at the end of the autumn half. Bayern haven't been good in too many games so far, and one satisfactory game we edged against a decent side doesn't yet suggest that we'll steamroll all remaining opposition.

Tolisso's ability is ok, but I don't see anything magnificent about him. He's what many would call an "industrious player", relying on supreme fitness and mentality in a squad of exceptional players. I think he needs to improve defensively and be more accurate controlling the ball under pressure if he wants to be a regular starter for two or more seasons at Bayern. I just can't think of many great tackles or interceptions he's made at the DMC compared to Martinez or Goretzka. In possession, Tolisso also hasn't regularly shown that he can withstand pressing like Leverkusen's, shield the ball well and keep his passing accurate. Goretzka has. Thiago in his first and last season with us could even take advantage of such aggressive pressing with a surprisingly attacking decision using exceptional body language and skill. Having said that, I think Tolisso is still a better player than most Bundesliga DMs, but that often means nothing when you face a team like Leverkusen that Saturday, or Champions League opponents, especially in the knockout stages.

In conclusion, I don't see Tolisso suddenly becoming a sublimely skillful player, but it's possible for him to become a better tackler and interceptor, and slightly better in keeping possession under pressure. Perhaps something like Hargreaves in his best years. Whether that actually happens and whether any such improvement would suffice for him to outrank his rival teammates remains anyone's guess, but I'd give it a 30-40% chance. Currently, his best chances are Bayern continuing to rotate players for years to keep them fresh.

Dfb Pokal: Schalke 3:1 Ulm. For some reason, the game was agreed to be played at the Veltins Arena after some unusual agreement involving Schalke committing to a friendly at Ulm when spectators are allowed again. Whatever, corona times. Schalke will be relieved to get another victory, and you could tell right away how improved they were in possession after going 2-0 up.

#1334 Oli H., Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  15. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Christian Gross returns, what a blast to the past that is :laugh:

16. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    More rubbish from Schalke tonight. FT: Hertha BSC 3:0 Schalke
    No disrespect to Hertha, but that from Schalke was hands down one of the worst performances I've ever seen in the Bundesliga. Hertha bossed them all over the park, as the submissive Schalke players allowed it. They might as well be proud of only losing 3:0. What an absolute disgrace to this league! If Schalke don't beat Hoffenheim next Saturday, they'll equalise Tasmania's worst record in history, and nobody will be surprised. I had a good impression of Gross 10 years ago, but this Schalke side will be one of his toughest jobs.

FT: Eintracht Frankfurt 2:1 Leverkusen. What was that about Leverkusen being the second best side in Germany, MM?

17. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    Rubbish! HT: Bayern 0:2 Mainz
    That was pathetic. At 0:0 the Sky commentator claimed Bayern controlled the game, which was complete nonsense to anyone capable of registering Mainz's numerous chances. Bayern's defending is back to the same abysmal crap exhibited for months until the Leverkusen game, and the midfield pairing of Tolisso and Kimmich has no defensive presence whatsoever. Yet Tolisso keeps trying to score in the box only to finish badly on two good occasions. I don't know what boots he chose tonight, but he might as well throw them away as they're not working for him. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up losing this one. They really need to be taught a footballing lesson.

18. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Normal service resumed.

19. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    FT: Mainz 2:5 Bayern. First class service resumed and that's more like it! I wonder what Hansi said at half time because the boys have gone out there and out-passed, outclassed and punished Mainz. Any hopes they had of stealing points in our arena turned into a nightmare for them. I'm almost ashamed of criticising Bayern so harshly for that first half, because that's how to make a comeback and Bayern have shown exactly what they're capable of. Good goals by Kimmich, Sané, Süle and Lewandowski getting his 18th in the league. Lewa simply won't let Gerd Müller rest. Quaison with a few awesome shots for Mainz too, with one long distance hammer only denied by the crossbar.

20. Philip The Frog

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Re Schalke, I think we should invent a term which depicts players not being completely rubbish but who do not have the stomach to play for such a big club. It was the case for HSV and it is certainly the case for 04 this season. It was an ok performance from Bsc tbh and they do have a good team. Nice to see Tousart doing well.
    I expect Schalke to replace HSV in the Zwei next season. Dirk's team won their 4th straight game today and are top. St Pauli are struggling at the bottom with another defeat at Fürth. Big game for them on Wednesday at Würzbürg (who are bottom). Would be a shame to St Pauli in the Drei...

Re Bayer, didn't watch the game so won't comment. Saw the opening goal though which was pretty good, woulnd't you say?

I did watch Stuttgart vs Leipzig last night though. Stuttgart are a good team but just didn't do anything while Leipzig played well and tried to win but are usuless in front of goal. Forsberg is their best player technically imo but he missed a penalty (unreal ninja-save by the keeper), Haïdara (by no means comfortable in front of goal) was very active and had a few chances but it was Olmo who got the goal. This very easily could have ended 0-0 such was RBL's inability to score. Leipzig host Dortmund next week. BvB beat Wolfsburg 2-0 today despite a meh performance. Good attitude by Sancho to score after such a long drought.

See Mainz strike me as a bunch of players who refuse to go down and will play some really nice stuff more often than not. It really is a different situation than Schalke as nobody really cares if Mainz go down or not (this season is their 12th straight season in the top tier which is more than most I'd say). Players look comitted to the cause and did give Bayern a scare in that first half. Second half was typical Bayern though. It's almost as though Flick had planned to not play in the first half and be awesome in the second. Something like that. I'm surprised you didn't mention Süle well-taken goal, Oli.

Glad the Buli is back. Munich derby next weekend as Bayern's reserves "host" Sechzig (both sides play in the same stadium).