1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye Bye Gary

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Delilah, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    And six months ago we had Neil Warnock's Cardiff, Rowett's Derby, Steve Bruce's Aston Villa, and Tony Pulis' Middlesbrough in the top 6.

Just so happens that the sides in the top 6 this season are playing good football. We'll see how the table shapes up come season's end and if next season's the same story.

2. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Tbh, I think apart from our "history" (which is exactly that ancient history) and our supporters loyalty (particularly when shit) we are no more appealing than Stoke.

We were once a "big" club and have potential to be a much bigger club than Stoke, but looking at it from a neutrals perspective, Stoke have very recently been in the PL league, getting decent crowds, they still have plenty of PL or top end Championship players and on paper look the more likely of the 2 clubs to get back there at the moment.

The problem for Stoke is, if they don't get back soon, those same players contracts become a problem, and their support will soon dwindle much more than ours have.

Sadly for us, Short term Stoke would probably be most managers preferred choice, we are not the draw that some of fans think we are, it's nearly 20 years since we last graced the top flight and over 25 years since we were genuine contenders to win anything, time moves on and unfortunately over the last 25 years many clubs have caught and surpassed us, certainly in football terms and many in terms of "size" of clubs, some of our fans need to start acknowledging it.
    Anyway UTO!

3. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Luton and Stoke could've been in the same division next season. Could still be. I'd have gotten back to back promotions if I was him before moving on. That would be impressive.

4. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    Don't blame any manager for stepping up a league when they get the chance.

Could have completely collapsed in the second half of this season at Luton with his stock dropping with their league position.

Plus I bet he's had a ridiculous wage increase. Much bigger club, much bigger budget, bet he didn't give a second's thought.

It's not like managers are shown loyalty by chairmen these days, look at Bristol Rovers sacking their manager recently, he dragged them out of the abyss.

5. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    I don't know Luton's recent form to be fair, I just checked the table and saw that they were second. Wouldn't have minded seeing Luton in the second division again either.

6. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    They're in good form, having a great season but that can quickly change with injuries and a drop in form.

If he passed up this chance and they slumped out of the top 6 then he'd be cursing himself.

7. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Could is the key word here. They are currently 2nd yes but Sunderland are right on their heels. If they finish 3rd then they are relying on a lottery.

Stoke aren't going down barring a catastrophic end of the season. It's either definitely be in the Championship or have a chance of being in the Championship.

8. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    Are you sure you are supporting the right Sheffield club? You are speaking to much sense to be an Owl.

9. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I've never got the fuss with Rowett. Did okay at Burton but never won promotion in League Two (Hasselbaink and then Clough in League One subsequently did). Did well enough at Birmingham with limited resources but the football was very route one and primitive. Then went to Derby who were happy to see him go when Stoke came in for him. He just seems a very average manager, rather than this next big thing tag.

Jones is more the forward thinking appointment that would have made more sense in the first place - albeit a gamble and someone who'll need time. It was either get someone like that or get Moyes in.

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  10. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    Went to Derby and got them in the play offs. He done a good job at Burton and Birmingham.
    Being a Liverpool fan i don't think you are particularly clued up on lower league football as proved in Gary Rowett.

#50 rogue, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. Griffingreen

Griffingreen Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Jones is a good call, many BEES fans were calling for him after Smith left.

12. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Oh yes, I definetly support the right Sheffield club! No doubt about that.
    Anyway you stick to the going offs at Selhurst, that Zaha's quite a player isn't he?

13. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  14. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Derby have been in and around the play offs for years. He did about par there but their fans weren't bothered he went and they watch them every week. We don't. As I said he did well for the short time he was at Birmingham albeit with real route one type football. Did well enough with Burton but nothing like what Clough has done and no promotion.

He's not a bad manager but there's not one stand out achievement you can jump to to justify getting good jobs. Jones at Luton you can.

SamB_SCFC and rogue like this.
  15. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    You don't do good banter do you
    Fair enough pal. I was just goading you earlier. You are one of a very few posters i like on here. :thumb

ritchie_50 likes this.
  16. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    This is the thing. People criticised us when we sacked Quique and Mazzarri but at the end of the day we all pay good money to go to games, its a great escape from the everyday shitness of life. So when the football becomes shit and boring, its a waste of money and no longer an escape.

Obviously Rowatt wasnt getting results either but he'd have been less hated if he actually played entertaining football at the very least.

Looks like with this new guy you'll definitely get entertainment. Which will at least make games more enjoyable to go to again.

Owl1969 and JoshBCFC like this.
  17. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Nobody likes you either :D

JoshBCFC likes this.
  18. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Some banters alright. Knobhead's talking bullshit I'm not keen on.
    I wish some of these who do "Banter" were around in the 80's wouldn't have been giving it out for long.

19. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    Hard man :laugh:

I was around in the 80's and believe me Wednesday never had a reputation. The Blades yes. Wednesday didn't FACT

20. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday

Thanks for confirming my thought.
    Btw I think you played us about 3 times in the 80s, semi Final at Highbury, your fans stayed inside celebrating (as we would have) whilst we trundled off gutted.
    The following season at Hillsborough when you brought about 150 and the return game at the Goldstone Ground where Wednesday took the piss both on the pitch and off it. (about 3k) but thanks for your input, it must be correct it's in Capitals.
    Anyway Gary Rowett?

#60 Owl1969, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019