1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Capello "Retires" Beckham

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Sme, Aug 12, 2010.

?

Can David Beckham force his way into the Euro 2012 squad?

1. Yes

30.3%
  2. No

69.7%
  1. Sme

Sme Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fabio Capello has said that David Beckham is too old to play for England. I still think he is worth having on the bench, especially if Capello is going to blood all these youngsters. Im not too sure about the timing of the announcement either, it was only a month ago that Beckham said that he still hope'd he could force his way into the Euro 2012 squad. Why didn't Capello just come out then and say his got no chance rather than wait for us to play a match then feel it necessary to rule him out.

2. When in Rome

When in Rome Guerilla

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think Capello is right to say he wants to move on and give younger players a chance. We've tried the Beckham and his golden age approach and it's got us nowhere. We reached the semis of Euro 96 down in no small part to players like Sheringham, Gascoigne, Shearer, Seaman, Adams etc, and Beckham's generation did what exactly?

Last 16 of France '98
    Last 16 (group stage) of Holland/Belgium '00
    Quarter-final of Korea/Japan '02
    Quarter-final of Portugal '04
    Quarter-final of Germany '06
    Didn't qualify for Austria/Switzerland '08
    Last 16 of South Africa '10

Three Quarter-finals, three Last sixteens and failed to qualify for one competition, not that impressive for this "golden generation". In four years time should we continue to try and retain the likes of Gerrard, Terry etc when they are getting older or are players like Rooney and Beckham above dropping?

Beckham's exile may be cut short if Capello doesn't last, but I hope the next manager decides to use younger players too. Beckham isn't such a fantastic player that his inclusion would make any difference to the outcome, in fact I'd prefer he wasn't at the last World Cup as his presence served no purpose and made no difference

3. crstig

crstig The ShowStopper

Supports:
    Southampton
    I don't think Beckham should play anymore.

But.

That was an absolutely disgraceful way to "retire" a player. That along with the refusal to accept any blame for the dismal world cup makes me really dislike Capello. Arrogant twat.

Fabio out.

4. Wenger_the_King

Wenger_the_King Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal and Yokohama Mariners
    Fabio wants to build for the future.Beckham even at his peak never got us far in any tournament so to say he is a huge loss is ridiculous.Capello is the manager and he decides whats best for the team.Not the Media,not the Beckham lovers.

5. aenima

aenima Cavalry? I've sh*t 'em.

Supports:
    Newcastle
    I'd certainly say the decline of Beckham as a player in general has been a huge loss. The issue is our inability to replace somebody who's needed replacing for years, not the fact that he's now suddenly retired. As of now it makes little immediate difference, as he's crocked and ancient, but since his peak and gradual degeneration nobody has come through to replace him - and that's been over a period of around six years. That's slightly worrying. Now seems as good a time as any to reflect on the transition period since Beckham started to get phased out four years ago and where we are now, and for all the multitude of players that have been tried on the right wing (Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Milner) nobody has exactly come through and ran with the baton. It's also worth considering that while Beckham was playing England qualified for five straight tournaments in a row. That hadn't happened since I don't know when. And it's not like we didn't have world class players like Robson, Keegan, Gascoigne, Lineker, Hoddle etc. in the days when we were having a tournament on then one off.

I'd be well up for the idea of Beckham playing one last game at Wembley. Granted he didn't get us very far in tournaments, but if the burden or responsibility was squarely on his shoulders then we need to be re-evaluating ourselves rather than him. The England fans love him not because he's been paraded around in Police sunglasses or married Posh Spice, but for moments like his statements yesterday and the fact that no matter how knackered or over-burdened he was he always gave 100% and was always willing to blame himself rather than the fans, despite getting shit from the media saying he was useless and overrated. Give that man one last go at Wembley, it'd be a well good night.

#5 aenima, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  6. luke80

luke80 Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Surely he should 'retire' when he wants to. He could retire at 40 but play no more games for England.

7. aenima

aenima Cavalry? I've sh*t 'em.

Supports:
    Newcastle
    I think that was Capello's plan, to just let the situation quietly disappear. To be fair to him he was asked about it outright with a microphone in his face, it wasn't a press release, and if he'd said there was a chance of Beckham playing again or comes across as totally non-committal the roasting he'd be receiving in the press this morning would be a lot fiercer than it is now.

8. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'd take it with a pinch of salt because Capello's word means f*ck all.

At Real he was adamant Beckham would never play for him again and then he started playing him again within weeks. He soon brought him back when he took the England job, after indicating that he wouldn't.

It is also a shit way to go about things, and the Beckham-brand publicity machine is in overdrive today, which leaves Capello shooting himself in the foot.

I don't think Beckham should play again, but I bet he does bring him back.

9. crstig

crstig The ShowStopper

Supports:
    Southampton
    Capello is a classless tosser and a tactically inept fool.

He has no idea how to deal with players, and seems to think he is never at fault.

Highest paid manager in international football? What a joke.

Get rid asap.

10. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    I'm glad he's been retired,hopefully he will stay in America and never be seen here again

11. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I agree with Capello that he is now too old to play for England and his time is up but to tell the press that without even speaking to the player first is disgraceful .. and not what that player deserves and not the way a manager should act.

It is disrespectful to a player who has given his all for his country and rarely let us down.

It also does show the lack of communication in the England set up is very much a problem.

12. lfcarmy

lfcarmy We've won it 5 times!!!!

Supports:
    liverpool
    I'm not Beckham's biggest fan,but he deserves alot better from Capello,after the amount of times he's played for england

Capello doesn't do himself any favours at times.

13. Berkshire Royal

Berkshire Royal Everywhere We Go.........

Supports:
    Reading FC
    That is spot on!

Beckham deserves the same repect as every other member of the England squad/set up and I personally think Capello should publicly apologise (yet again) to Beckham.

And if I was Beckham I'd tell the Godzilla look-a-like to f**k off!!!

14. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    He'll probably be back when fit and we still haven't found anyone who can cross a ball better...

;)

Probably the right time to go and whilst is good Beckham has that passion to play we cannor rely on him forever.

BTW To be fair to Capello he was just answering a question.

Whatever he'd said the press would have put a negative spin on it.

#14 Super_horns, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  15. Djalminha

Djalminha Registered User

Supports:
    Lazio
    Good, it's time to move on. Beckham should do the decent thing and retire himself. If you want the best for your country then retire, mate.

16. Wenger_the_King

Wenger_the_King Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal and Yokohama Mariners
    Im sorry but Capello did nothing wrong in the interview.The ITV guy asked him if he would be in contention for the next major championships and he gave an honest answer.Of course Becks is a god so everyone is defending him and throwing more venom at Fabio.Even at his very best David Beckham couldnt manage to do any better then our current players and we have suffered humiliation to teams like Australia with him playing so its nonsense to suggest him continuing on for England will make us a better team.He didnt do enough at his best,he surely cant continue on past it.I dont hate him but i do feel he gets far to much praise.He is finished at international level and we should let young talent get a chance.

17. Kiz

Kiz Proud Stander!

Supports:
    Tottenham, Dartford
    Beckham had a good England Carrer but its time for a new generation.

also piss off posting the algeria gabon videos everywhere!!

18. CynicalSid

CynicalSid Forum Komrade

Supports:
    Newcastle United, Rangers, Glenavon
    A "tactically inept fool" with six serie A titles, two La Liga titles and a champions league title to his name?

:hmmm:rolleyes:dunce:

19. steady eddy

steady eddy Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It seams blatently obvious to me Capello is trying every trick in the book to get the stupid FA to sack him.But i dont think he should be sacked for this tactless snub to the greatest England icon of my age....HE SHOULD BE SHOT!