1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carabao cup 18/19

Discussion in 'Domestic Cups' started by LordMegson, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    Forgot we even had this game tomorrow. Hopefully 11 changes.

2. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Go for the cup

3. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    West Ham game is a lot more important on Saturday. Need to register our first win in the next 2 games.

4. rogue

rogue Guest

Chuck in the youth as we can't afford anymore injuries. Really could do without this.

I won't be attending.

5. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    I don't get this attitude, our clubs are never going to win the league so cups are all we have. I love them and want us to go balls out in both of them. Would happily take relegation and a cup win this season.

And i will be going.

Biff Tannen and screescree like this.
  6. screescree

screescree GGMU!

Supports:
    Manchester United, Hull City AFC
    It's annoying when they do send out the reserve players for these fixtures, but at the same time, it gives them the pressured experience of this level of football. Shame really, cos I do love a good cup run! Totally agree with you though, should be putting strong squads out for them regardless.

7. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    MK Dons at home. I see they've started League Two strongly this season after relegation.

We'll be making 11 changes, so anything can happen really.

8. JadeWWFC

JadeWWFC Registered User

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Expecting 11 changes for Wolves tonight against Sheffield Wednesday. Was at the Wolves U23 last night and a couple of the better players were pulled out of the squad so they could play tonight. Would love a cup run but not really at the expense of the League form, West Ham away on Saturday is a much more important game.

9. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Hughes suggesting we'll have a fairly strong team out tonight, happy with that personally.

10. JadeWWFC

JadeWWFC Registered User

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Didn't help you last year! :D:D:D

FranniesTache likes this.
  11. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Yeah but last year we had the single most inept manager i've ever seen manage us, we could've played the Barca first team under him and still lost.

12. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    Depends from team to team. From Southampton's perspective you have been in the Premier League for quite a few years now, you aren't regularly in the top 10 like you were a couple of years ago, and when it gets to that stage (unless the team is playing really attractive football) its easy for fans to become a bit bored. It's no fun scrapping for 40 points and that being your lot, the problem is the money that is generated by remaining in the Premier League means more to the club, it's just how the games has gone.

I think maybe a club like Leicester or Everton can afford to have a proper go at these competitions without putting their Premier League status in jeopardy because they have enough quality in squad depth but I don't think a bunch of the clubs i'd expect to finish bottom half have the squad to cope if first team players get injured in Cup matches.

13. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Hardly a surprise, they'd beat most teams in the Premier league...

JaseTheVillain and FranniesTache like this.
  14. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    I honestly don't think it makes any difference to be honest. Leicester winning the league was a massive anomaly and i'd be amazed to see another one in the next 20 years (if not more) unless a significant change happens in football, which would probably be a collapse of all the money in it.

I've said it many, many times but i honestly think every club outside the top 4/5 will be relegated before they win the league. I'd even stick my neck out and say that's probably true of Spurs and Everton.

That leaves the cups as the only chance for glory for any other team, and given that fact i don't understand why any other clubs fans wouldn't want them to go all out for a cup win.

We're something like 17th in the all time table and the 7th longest serving club in the premier league currently, but i'd rather win a cup and go down than add to that position.

15. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    Is the only way you can have a successful season in the league, to win it though?

Going all out for a cup win would be great, i'd love to see Wolves lift a major trophy in my lifetime, that's from a fans point of view though. The club is always going to put Premier League survival as it's number one priority for the money it generates. When Amazon get involved in the bidding for the rights it will only get bigger and put the emphasis on being on the Premier League even more.

16. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Shock horror.

We've got Swansea away. No idea whether Ayew can play or not (I'm assuming not) but he needs a run-out along with Guaita, Kouyate and Meyer.

I'd love another cup run but it's not exactly the kindest draw. I just hope none of our first-teamers get crocked.

17. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    The way i see it yes. Basically with the premier league at best you'll get a couple of shots at europe, then post that you're just going to stagnate and eventually be sucked into a relegation battle and probably go down.

As depressing as it sounds you're only in the premier league to make up numbers, it's quite literally the most pointless thing in the world for all but about 4/5 clubs. The harsh reality is that whilst you're doing that you're probably in your best position to win a major trophy, and clubs should go for them, because your time there is limited and you will go down eventually.

jack1993bcfc likes this.
  18. jack1993bcfc

jack1993bcfc Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    This. Ask any Birmingham, Swansea or Wigan fan the same thing, they'd take the trophy over another 15th/16th/17th place finish; despite what David Moyes thinks.

FranniesTache likes this.
  19. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    I was expecting 11 changes but for some reason I think Iheanacho will start tonight

20. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Wouldn't be surprised if he plays. The chances of us getting his parent team in the cup were fairly high.