1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carabao cup 18/19

Discussion in 'Domestic Cups' started by LordMegson, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Sean4393

Sean4393 Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City

I have a cup you might re-call

Carling Cup 2011 when your team couldn't decide which player should go up to lift the cup...

FranniesTache likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Didn't realise Wycombe were in the 2011 Carling Cup final?

Sean4393 and JoshBCFC like this.
  3. Sean4393

Sean4393 Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Pardon?

4. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I'm not sure it is tbf. Having just one domestic Cup heavily decreases the chance that you'll have a cup run (and let's face it, the chances are low anyway).
    WTF

It will still be remembered for generations. That wouldn't change if their was only one cup. Having just the one domestic cup doesn't make every team desperate to win or progress in it either: why would it?

If their was more prize money in the domestic cups then more teams would be desperate to win it. Not if there were less cups.

5. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I gather LEF was a Wycombe fan before he got bored of supporting them and became an Arsenal fan instead.

FranniesTache and Kirby like this.
  6. Hull City fan !

Hull City fan ! City till I die!

Supports:
    Hull City AFC
    Sort of hypocritical when you could make the same point about the Premier League, if you changed it to finishing top/top 2 got Champions League. You would be all about winning this as it would be your only way into Europe.

7. Sean4393

Sean4393 Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City

I was really hoping that was the case.

Well played @Kirby

Kirby likes this.
  8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    it's obvious @LEF is just one of those annoying modern fans, he switched clubs to a big club, can't remember cup finals and thinks that the league cup is on par with the JPT (which by the way was also brilliant when it was in a proper format and not the reserve team crap it is now).

9. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Whoever you say I support
    Having one cup would obviously mean clubs are more desperate to win it - teams don’t care if they go out in the first round of the league cup as they still have the fa cup to play for. If there’s only one cup then there are no second chances - each game takes on more importance.

The prize money should reflect the significance of this of course (I believe the prize money for the league cup is pitiful anyway)

10. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I disagree, I don't think teams don't care if they go out in the first round of the League Cup because, as you say, the prize money for the league cup is pitiful.

I'd imagine teams think similarly about the FA Cup too.

11. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Teams don’t care about going out also because they have to play too many matches which hampers their league campaignes - getting rid of the league cup would remedy this also.

I really don’t think prize money is the ultimate as you’re making out - most premier league clubs rake it in through tv deals which renders such prize money relatively insignificant, while the smaller clubs will obviously take every penny they can get regardless.

I just think the prestige has gone out of it - the fa cup no longer feels special; it’s just the slightly better version of the league cup. The league cup is the competition no-one cares about until the semis. Wembley is no longer a special venue - everything has become diluted and has thus lost most of the value it once held.

I’m not necessarily opposed to two domestic cups - but make it a bit different; they are becoming a carbon copy of each other.

12. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    It’s weird to dismiss my opinions as coming from a ‘modern’ fan when the views I’m putting forth are of a more traditional nature if anything.

Obviously you feel the need to disparage anyone who holds a different opinion to you though so I’ll let you crack on with it.

13. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    This is my point really. The Premier League clubs rake it in anyway so whatever prize money offered isn't worth the extra fixture congestion for them.

Agree with the rest of your post tbf

14. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Unless you're in your 60s then it's not more traditional to not have the league cup. Also i have no problem with different opinions, but in cases like this where all it does is entrench power and money in the pockets of the rich clubs i'm always going to be against it.

Especially as your idea takes away good away days and a competition that we can actually compete in.

Oh and also you changed your team for a big club. I can never respect anyone that does that.

15. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Basically invalidates anything he says.

FranniesTache likes this.
  16. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Yeah **** off LEF

17. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    Regardless of all this, what is the story of switching between Wycombe and Arsenal? :laugh: Why?

18. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Utter nonsense or that would have always been the case.

Did the FA Cup have no prestige in the 70's, 80's or 90's because the league cup has been around for more than 40 years? Similarly you had more than the 2 European competitions but it didn't make winning the cup winners cup or whatever any less prestigious.

The Premier League and 'top 4' is the consequence of the cup being less prestigious. Scrap the league cup and the FA cup isn't going to retain it's glory, people will still value finishing 17th over the cup given the money in football.

Personally I love the League Cup and the Europa too. Knockout football is better than what can often be mundane league football, fortunately Spurs growth has made the latter a bit more entertaining.

As for failing to remember Bristol City's cup run, was it not just last season or certainly recently when they went up against the Manchester clubs? Perhaps you should watch a bit more football but switching your allegiance from Wycombe to Arsenal already dictates the type of fan you are, arguably you're exactly the type of fan that has killed football and you have the cheek to chuck the blame at the league cup.

If you ever have a day out at Adams Park maybe you'll realise football is enjoyable at all levels. Personally I wish we took the cups more seriously and I was saying to a friend the other night it's a damn shame for the lower league clubs that they've already destroyed the football league trophy which was a great opportunity for the 3rd and 4th tier to have some glory of their own.

19. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    The league cup has been around since the 60s, the FA cup has certainly not been diluted due to it.

Without the league cup we wouldn’t have seen Bristol City’s run last season, Bradford reaching the final a few years ago, Donny’s run where we beat city villa and were within a minute of knocking arsenal out. Those are just a few in recent memory so the idea that this should be scrapped is nonsense

20. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Bloody annoying as a Villa fan that two of those runs included us getting knocked out by lower league opposition mind you. :fail:

Donnyrovers90 likes this.