1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cardiff vs Bristol City

Discussion in 'Championship' started by JJH., Nov 5, 2019.

1. JJH.

JJH. Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City
    Big rivalry that the fixtures have been ruined by the police really. Another 12pm Sunday kickoff, think it's actually on Sky this time though. Thankfully this time trains are running but not until 9am.

Won't be a pretty watch, two pretty shite footballing sides to be honest.

Bentley
    Pereira Kalas Williams Rowe
    Nagy
    Eliasson Brownhill Massengo O'Dowda
    Weimann

Standard CCS loss for us.

2-1. (Pack 46', Flint 90+1') (Weimann 26')

23,884 (2,002)

2. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    In addition to usual bragging rights, the performance against Swansea has turned the notch-up further on this one.

Mixed performance against Brum last time out but some encouraging signs. Glatzel injured, Ward suspended so we may see Bogle, the villain at AG a couple of seasons back start. He hasn’t really featured since that game so would be a very good time to redeem himself.

3. JJH.

JJH. Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City
    Rather face him than Patterson, quality player.

4. Hugh Jerection

Hugh Jerection Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I've always thought of this game as a bigger rivalry than the Jacks. I can go back to the time when the Jacks were always in the lower leagues and we were in the old 2nd division with Brizzle. I think there's a genuine dislike of Welsh people in Bristol and that adds to the atmosphere. This will be tight of course, but our home form is pretty good ATM so hoping for a win.

5. JJH.

JJH. Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City
    I said that in the other thread, quite a few Cardiff fans see us as the main rival.

I'd agree with you, our fixtures with Swansea have been a bit more lively in recent years but I don't think that's anything to do with our fans or yours.

6. Bcfc kid

Bcfc kid Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol city
    First post in a while but gotta admit Cardiff is the bigger derby in my eyes. Always in the same league growing up whereas Rovers have been shit for some time now and never as good. Bristolians don't hate the Welsh, many have got Welsh in them because Wales is so close but we don't seem to like people from Cardiff. Now the game if we don't decide to play into your hands and lump the ball long then we have a chance, I think Weimann will cause Flint problems with his work rate. Just hope we keep it on the deck as you won't out Warnock a Warnock side. If that makes sense. Lol

7. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I was at a Hereford game recently (long story) and a group of their fans burst into the Welsh national anthem during the game!

Nearly shed a tear.

#7 Riverside, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. Bcfc kid

Bcfc kid Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol city
    Haha I wouldn't go that far mate! But seriously I reckon the only reason Bristolians hate people from Cardiff is the football. I wouldn't take it personally it's just the way it is. Bit like Newcastle and Sunderland. I got mates from kerrdiff and they are sound but when we play each other, it's war.

9. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    How does he get on with Marlon Pack after he tried to snap him in half a few seasons back?

10. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    It was a daft challenge but I’d imagine water under the bridge now. Pack was a bit fortunate not to get his marching orders too that day from memory.

11. Poole Jack

Poole Jack Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Most who have followed Cardiff since 1980 will see Swansea as their big rivals as this fixture has got more feisty and intense through the 80's and 90's.Older Cardiff fans probably remember Bristol City who can remember when they were the rivals and both Cardiff and Swansea fans would watch each others matches especially in the 60's up to the mid 70's

We have no real issues with Bristol Rovers and isolated incidents with Bristol City probably highlighted by the Police dog issue in the 90's

Newport is an interesting one if they get promoted and close the gap on both Swansea and Cardiff in the pyramid which would add a different dynamic again.

12. Johnson Says

Johnson Says Registered User

As predictable a home win as you will ever see, we never turn up over there. This rivalry hasn’t been any good since the Murray era in the early 2000’s. Think I hate Cardiff the City more than Cardiff City. The former gets things culturally, investment and sporting wise due to someone drawing a line from the Severn northwards and calling it Wales despite being a much lesser City than Bristol. The latter are as underwhelming as us.

#12 Johnson Says, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Don't remember that tbh. This is always a feisty game though.

14. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    As it developed historically Bristol held many advantages over towns in South Wales when that line mostly represented political and commercial suppression and exploitation. Not that some of its trading history would be looked upon enviously now.

There is some truth in what you say of course and Capital cities tend to benefit in this way. I believe many of our friends down West feel the same too and probably have fair gripes in this respect. It seems however the idea of a Western Powerhouse region incorporating Bristol, Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Swindon, Gloucester, Bath etc.is increasingly being tabled as the way forward. In order to compete for investment, improve infrastructure and create economic growth across the West and South Wales and to help it compete in this respect with other UK regions such as the West Midlands, North West etc. Whether this actually will lead to more collaboration and less rivalry time will tell I suppose.

JoshBCFC and Johnson Says like this.
  15. Stan_Drews

Supports:
    Birmingham City
  16. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Apparently.

17. Beehave

Beehave Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Used to have a successful paper merchant back in the day before it merged with the office in Slough.

Not sure Swindon's economy has recovered since.

Bobbin’ likes this.
  18. Stan_Drews

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    When I think of Swindon I think of two things

19. grampus8myhamster

grampus8myhamster Registered User

Supports:
    Bigfoot
    SHIT and HOLE

Stan_Drews likes this.
  20. Stan_Drews

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Don’t know it well enough to comment.

The two things I always think of are XTC and the double roundabout thingy by the ground.