1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Chat.

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Celtic Symphony, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Only watching the highlights of the game now, looks a bit better from us but much too late in the season.

2. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

The main thing I’m taking from these games is just how good a player Turnbull is and what he can be in the future under the right guidance.

His potential is frightening.

Oh, and how we will miss Ajer when he leaves

#1442 Caesar, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Steve Clarkes name being mentioned alot the last couple of days. I've had a suspicion for a while now he'd be a top target of ours and stuck £50 on him last week at 12/1. Obviously it's just talk right now but the bet apart it's an appointment i'd be happy enough with.

4. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

If asked a year or two ago, I wouldn’t have been for it, but I will be less against the idea now.

After talk of the likes of Eddie Howe and the like, it would still be a wee bit of a letdown, but far preferable than some others mentioned.

I would be pretty much straight down the middle with it.

5. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Seen similar on Twitter and thats the bit i don't get though.

In what way is Clarke a downgrade on Eddie Howe?

And i would take Howe also.

6. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It’s just personal preference.

I just feel that someone like Howe would have a more revolutionary effect on us as a whole, which is what I think is required.

As I say, Clarke is a better option than others mentioned, but I would have a preference for a few other guys before him.

7. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Fair enough.

I think for some though there is a snobbery and they think he's just a Klmarnock manager and manages a poor Scotland team. Clarke done probably the best managerial apprenticeship you could do by being the assistant at Chelsea for years then Liverpool and West Ham. An apprenticeship working with some of the best players in the world and many Champions league games.

He then guided West Brom to their highest top flight finish since 1981 in his first managers job before beingvreplaced the next season despite them still not being in the relegation spots. Done wonders at Kilmarnock and turned that club around and has now quaified for a tournament with Scotland for the first time in years.

Howe done really well with Bournemouth and was then replaced, i'd say Clarke has the better CV and also knows our league inside out.

I just dont see how Clarke is seen by some as a poor mans Howe although i've also seen alot saying they would be happy with Clarke.

#1447 Lisbon 67, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

One thing Clarke has shown he is capable of doing is organising a team. In that respect, he deserves credit. He also seems to be a manager who players enjoy playing for. Another plus point.

A concern for me (aside from the footballing side of things) is his reaction after Kilmarnock played Rangers a few years back when almost in tears at the sectarian singing.

If he struggled to handle that as Kilmarnock manager, what state would it leave him in if he was with us, as you could multiply the abuse he would get by as much as you want.

We need a strong enough character to deal with that side of things and not fold when faced with it.

9. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I honestly think he just wanted to call it out.

He's a lifelong Celtic fan from Ayrshire. He'll know the lay of the land.

10. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Yeah, Turnbull is definitely one to be excited about.

11. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    We've signed 19 year old Liam Shaw from Sheffield Wednesday on a pre contract.

Don't know much about the the player but is rated by their fans.

12. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Celtic being destroyed from within. We are 16 points worse off than this point last year. Out of CL, Embarrassed in EL, Embarrassed in the League, League cup shambles.

The club is a joke and no one should survive this season.

Losing the league was going to happen eventually, it's impossible to win every year but no one would have thought we would have threw it away like this, we haven't even tried to salvage the season at any point.

Dubai made a challenge almost impossible and Lennon and his Lennyball tactics have dragged a team of winners down to a team of losers who have clearly threw in the towel and have no interest in trying to salvage anything.

We are getting to the point where the longer this goes on with Lennon the harder next seasons will become. All the tools are there at this club to take back everything that has been ours for 10 years but as long as we continue with this League 2 level management and coaching team that was built on a job for the boys mentality (we are run by ****ing Tories) we are going nowhere.

Never thought I would see the day where I feel my club is so far away from everything that makes Celtic what they are.

13. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    We all agree it's been a disaster but this season is a write off and has been for weeks.

Last night doesn't change anything, Lennon is away regardless of any more results and that's been the case for a whole IMO. It's simply a matter of when but despite all the noise he'll not be here next season. It's a stand off and is simply playing it's course now.

Of course he deserves to be sacked but whether he is or isn't is irrelevant to me now. The main thing is he is away and someone else will be in next season.

14. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    It worries me how he keeps suggesting he'll be here next season.

15. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It’s got to the stage where Neil’s mere presence is enraging many now. Everything he does now is bring dissected to within an inch of its life and always in a negative way. I see no valid reason as to why he needs to be there for the remainder of the season. If he can’t inspire this group of players to avoid losing to Ross County, what makes anyone think that things can get any worse if he isn’t there?

He doesn’t help himself by taking zero responsibility and his interviews and mannerisms are becoming more baffling each week. Most of us know that his next job is going to be several levels below the current one and I think he is clinging on like someone who knows this all too well.

#1455 Caesar, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:51 PM
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 8:30 PM
  16. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Has all the hallmarks of a stand off over compensation and the fact the club probably won't be appointing a permanent replacement until the summer anyway.

Lennons words are simply reinforcing his refusal to walk without a payoff.

17. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    Scottish sun is reporting that Neil Lennon is leaving Celtic within 24 hours.

18. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Lennon gone tomorrow.

Rumours of Clark or Martinez and Maloney and would be happy with either.

I'd be surprised if Martinez came considering the level he is at right now but stranger things have happened.

19. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Officially gone:

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has resigned with his side 18 points adrift of Rangers in the Scottish Premiership.

Lennon took charge for a second spell in February 2019 when Brendan Rodgers left and led the club to two titles, two Scottish Cups and a League Cup.

However, Celtic are well behind their Glasgow rivals in their bid to win 10-straight titles and slumped to defeat at struggling Ross County on Sunday.

Assistant manager John Kennedy will take interim charge of the team.

"We have experienced a difficult season due to so many factors and, of course, it is very frustrating and disappointing that we have not been able to hit the same heights as we did previously," Lennon, 49, said, in a statement on Celtic's website.

"I have worked as hard as ever to try and turn things around, but unfortunately we have not managed to get the kind of run going that we have needed.

"I have always given my best to the club and have been proud to deliver silverware to the Celtic supporters. The club will always be part of me. I will always be a Celtic supporter myself and I will always want the best for Celtic."

Celtic said that former captain Lennon had "served the club with distinction as both player and manager".

"Neil has always been and will always be a true Celtic man and someone I will always hold in the highest regard," added chief executive Peter Lawwell.

"Personally, it is a sad day for me to see Neil leave. Neil is a man of quality and decency, he is someone who will always be part of the fabric of Celtic and someone who will always be welcomed at Celtic Park."

Principal shareholder Dermot Desmond described Lennon as a "Celtic legend".

"He has given so much to the club, and with his success over the last number of years - including winning a treble in his own right - he will be very difficult to replace," Desmond continued.

"We thank Neil sincerely for all he has done for the club and we wish him every success going forward."

Lennon leaves Celtic as manager

20. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Best news we have had all season.

On to next season now, this squad is much better than what has been produced this season and that isn't all on Lennon tbf those players need to take some responsibility aswel but it gives us great optimism for next season that we can finally move forward.

It's just a shame that when the fans noticed things were not right at the club almost 5 months ago we were called spoiled, entitled, bed wetters etc and the board fully supported this stance. The lack of action by a complicit CEO has caused us this season but thankfully this is all behind us now.

As for the next manager I have no idea who it will be but I don't think waiting till after the Euros to get Clarke is the right thing to do.