1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celtic Sides in Football League Trophy

Discussion in 'Domestic Cups' started by SusanScottishfan, Sep 18, 2019.

1. SusanScottishfan

SusanScottishfan Up with Scottish Football.

Supports:
    Ross County
    Reform to Football League Trophy (AKA Leasing.Com Trophy).
    Invite a selection of Welsh, and Scottish League sides into the Football League Trophy.
    I do not want the Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Irish leagues to merge as that would destroy football history, and our national identities.
    I think the best of both worlds is to keep our domestic leagues with European qualification but add onto that some cross border cups like the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup does.
    Problem!
    If the English really want to help the football system in Scotland, and Wales, to grow then instead of merging the leagues and destroying football history and national identity and instead of stealing our biggest sides, and leaving only our smaller sides to compete in Europe. Then the best solution is to keep our own leagues with our biggest clubs in our own leagues, but to have cross border cups between the English, Scottish, Welsh and both Irish leagues.
    The Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup in Scotland allows Scottish, Welsh, English, Ulster, and Irish sides to compete in the trophy. So Uefa have no problem with small cross border cups.
    Transformational Change-
    If we could have more cross border cups between clubs in the English leagues, and the clubs in the Celtic leagues it would help attendances grow, and would have transformational change for the Welsh.
    Here is my favourite idea.
    Football League Trophy Reform
    Invite Welsh, and Scottish League sides into the Football League Trophy.
    This time invite the top four Welsh League sides, and all the Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe that season into the English Football League Trophy. The Scottish sides would compete in the Northern section of the trophy. While Welsh sides could compete in the North or South sections depending on their location. So travel would not be too far. But it would be great fun having decent sized Scottish sides in the trophy, and the Welsh sides would love to play against English pro League sides. I realize travel would be tough, but teams from Wales travel to far eastern Europe, and San Marino within Italy, for European games so a trip from Carlisle to Barry should not be too much to do.
    Aberdeen have travelled to central Asia for a Europa League game. So a trip from Aberdeen to Coventry should not be too much.
    Fixture Congestion
    I do not think this is a problem because the Scots, and Welsh would love to play big teams from outside their leagues. While adding a few teams to the Football League Trophy would not mean huge reorganisation of the trophy.
    The games are played at European group stage weeks, so it would not be a massive burden on sides in Scotland and Wales to play in the Football League Trophy at European nights. Plus the teams would love to play in a final at Wembley.
    Under 21
    Maybe even allow Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers to play under 21 year old sides in the trophy.
    Scale
    I am not in anyway suggesting that these trophies would compare to playing Real Madrid or Barcelona in the final of the Champions League, but they would not harm football in England, but would massively transformationally help Celtic soccer, in my view.
    Conclusion to article
    If the English really want to help Celtic soccer, then give us cross border cups on top of European football, and our own independent leagues. I do not want Celtic and Rangers to leave the Scottish League as that turn the Scottish League into a far smaller league, and people would think Scotland was part of England if our biggest sides played in the English League. Also North and Republic of Ireland sides could be invited into the trophy, although I do realize there are logistical issues of getting across the Irish Sea, in times of tough weather.
    Susan Scottish

2. grampus8myhamster

grampus8myhamster Official Sky Sports Source

Supports:
    Bigfoot
    Or, you know, just leave them separate?

3. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    **** off and sort your shit league out on your own

4. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    :laugh:

Dirk Deutsch

The only Greek here likes this.
  5. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    It would make Scottish football a bit more spicy, but let's be honest, even the best team in Scotland sucks right now!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ice_screenshot_20190918-180616.png ice_screenshot_20190918-180733.png

6. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    14th August is not a good day for Celtic! XD

7. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    This is the thing though. Rather than moaning about how the English system can improve scottish/Welsh/Irish football, why not do it yourselves? You moan like **** about the English game yet you want cross boarder cups so you can tap into the money the English clubs make? Against the English and don't want your biggest sides leaving but still want some of the riches? No thanks. Jog on.