1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions League 16/17

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by A Gooner, Sep 12, 2016.

1. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    The Champiooooonnnnnnnns! Not win our league for 12 years :laugh:

PSG away first, good to get the toughest fixture out the way. They've started this season a bit slowly, losing away to Monaco and dropping points to Saint Etienne.

I think Xhaka will come back in but with Coquelin. I think Giroud will start too.

Cech
    Bellerin Koscielny Mustafi Monreal
    Xhaka Coquelin
    Walcott Özil Sanchez
    Giroud

I definitely think we can pick up a victory here but it won't be easy. They have been formidable at home in recent years.

2. Daniel T

Daniel T Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Cech
    Bellerin Koscielny Mustafi Monreal
    Xhaka Coquelin
    Walcott Özil Sanchez
    Giroud

That is what I would have gone with. Theo didn't travel so Iwobi/Ox in place would have worked.

3. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I can understand why he's trying to add new dimensions to Coquelin's game but Wenger should really give that experiment up. He broke into the team as an enforcer who wins the ball back, not a box-to-box midfielder who can provide an option for our deepest playmaker.

4. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Bayern. Nice draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh: This is getting ridiculous.

6. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    A very boring tie but it's a bit different. We're at the best level we've ever been at over the last 5 years, we're at home in the second leg and they just don't have that same air of invincibility that they've had.

I still make them favourites but we can definitely knock them out. The two times we did play them at this stage, we lost on away goals and the other tie we played with 10 men for 55 minutes of the 180.

However, a LOT can change in 2 months.

StillHurts31 likes this.
  7. footballfan3024

footballfan3024 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We are playing better than them now but a lot can change in a few months.

8. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I agree. That Bayern side are beatable. Ancelotti has quickly undone all the work Pep had done while he was there.

Typical Arsenal get a tough draw though.

9. cescfabulous

cescfabulous Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    [​IMG]

Honestly, this is how I felt tonight. I’ll keep it brief because a lot of what I’ll say will be churned out again in the media in the coming days. Fact is that we are tactically naïve. Not only in this game but it is a perpetual problem at this club. At 1-1 and our captain going off, we should have shut up shop. Going ultra defensive and losing 2-1 or even 3-1 would have been a good result. It was imperative as we say every season that we don’t get killed off in the first leg. Unfortunately, it is groundhog day at Arsenal and we just don’t learn our lessons.

I’m angry at many members in that team, mostly Coquelin who according to stats did not make a single interception in that match. I’ll say that again. Our holding midfielder did not win a single tackle. Seriously what the hell? He was like a small boy running around against giants. Gibbs was also awful and he is supposed to be the vice captain on that pitch? Just illustrates our dearth of talent since Cole left the club 10 years ago. Easy to target Ozil and to be honest he was poor but first half he did alright; by no means our worst offender. Wenger has to take responsibility; he built this team and any mental problems have to come back to him.

In terms of the future this is by no means a snap decision but Coquelin, Gibbs, Monreal, Walcott all need to be shipped out as they just aren’t good enough. Gabriel, Mustafi, Ox, Xhaka can be good players for us with time but just need proper tactical instruction. Iwobi needs to be benched. He’ll be great but when you got players like Welbeck and Perez on the bench there is no reason for him to be starting so many games. Ozil sign the contract or f*ck off. When you want 250k a week and can’t turn up I’d rather the latter. And the manager....would have loved for him to go out with a big trophy but it is looking increasingly likely and sadly to be a walk of shame. Overall I’m dejected, but just reveals the state of my club that I’m not surprised.

10. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Love the clip doing the rounds of Ox getting frustrated with the rest of the team's efforts trying to win the fall back despite a half assed attempt by himself.

Looks like he's been a little inspired by Sanchez's recent tantrum. Though Alexi had more of a reason to be annoyed with others, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We (well Wenger) clearly can't get pressing right. The team was in limbo last night, the front two would press but then not get backed up. It requires bravery and fearlessness to press and the manager can't implement the system right. You can't do a 'halfway house' type thing either, we were stuck between pressing and not leaving our own penalty area but that doesn't work. Sitting deep requires all 10 players behind the ball, making it tough for them to break us down. Doing it with just 8 (Sanchez and Özil pressed) isn't going to work. Doing it with a youngster like Iwobi covering the left-back isn't going to work. He's just over 50 appearances into his career and you're asking him to play in a way that is completely foreign to him? That's basically leaving a player out to dry.

Even playing like this with Sanchez up front won't work. He rarely runs away from the ball into space, everything must be to his feet as he constantly demands the ball (and then has this frustrating tendency to not release it in good time). You can't counter attack from deep like that.

Last night really did seem like a 'I've tried everything and don't know what else to do' kind of night.

#11 A Gooner, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  12. Cicero

Cicero Born is the King

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Look at the third goal again. Mustafi talking with Bellerin and not even noticing the flick pass to Thiago.

Shambles.

13. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I've been very sceptical about him from very early on. You expect a lot lot better from a man who is the 5th (iirc) most expensive central defender of all time. I don't think he's suited to be a centre-back at all. I definitely think he'd be a better player playing in front of a defence. He has the ball playing talent to do it.

14. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Not even having a pop mate but I'm sure I saw you post that you would have him as one of the top 5 centre backs in the league before the Bayern match?

15. Spik3y

Spik3y Sausage

I thought Mustafi pre injury was great. Always first to the ball and struck up a decent partnership with Kos. Problem for me is the midfield in front of him that go completely missing. Even the Liverpool match at the start of the season, everyone blamed the defence yet the midfield left them so badly exposed. The midfield against Bayern were awful and the stats back it up.

16. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :confused? I distinctly recall you proclaiming him one of the best in the league when I was praising Matip.

Gal_P likes this.
  17. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    With the ball at his feet. There's no denying his ball playing and bringing the ball out of defence is very good. But his actual defending is VERY suspect.

I said this after 5 matches:

Will Arsenal miss out on the top four?

I certainly didn't say he was one of the best in the league. There's a quite a few things in that thread that has made me look silly :laugh: But my views on Mustafi isn't one of them.

In December I said this:

Is Virgil van Dijk the best centre-back in the Premier League?

Surprised I said that about his passing. It's much better now.

And then a month later I said this:

(Article) Mid Season Review - Best XI. What is yours?

:shrug

I'll rephrase my original statement. I've been sceptical about him for 3 months now.

#17 A Gooner, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  18. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Will Arsenal miss out on the top four? :shrug....

19. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Ok, I see absolutely nothing where I say Mustafi is one of the best central defenders in the league. All I say is he's slotted in well with Koscielny after 5 games.

I've retracted and rephrased my original statement, would you like to do the same?

20. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    Milan 2006 Shevchenko's 100% valid goal disallowed due to a foul on Puyol. Upon video review it's shown that not only Shevchenko did not foul Puyol, but there was no contact between them at all.

Chelsea 2009, really no need to write about it.

Arsenal 2011 RVP gets sent off for kicking the ball after ref's whistle. Preposterous decision that happen to occur in moments when Arsenal scored and had Barca on the ropes. Worth mentioning that there was 100K barca fans on the stands and great amount of them whistling. Crazy decision.

Real 2011 Pep's red card even tho the video later showed he didn't touch Alves. Many other decisions in favour of Barcelona.

Milano 2012, penalty awarded to Barcelona without the ball even being in play. There were waiting for Barca player to take corner kick when ref gave them a penalty.

Chelsea 2012, that red card on Terry, penalty and other questionable decisions.

Last year that red card for Torres and nothing for Busquets that almost killed Atletico player.

PSG 2017.

There's no denying that Barcelona gets a lot of help from refs. A LOT.