1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions league qualifiers 2019

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Lisbon 67, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Muller

Muller Registered User

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club
    Nah they will bottle that too. Jermaine Defoe will score 80 league goals.

No-One Likes Us likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

A collective disaster tonight and we got what we deserved for defending like amateurs.

As has been the case in recent weeks we were very dangerous going forward (although it took until the second half for us to get going), but with ten million worth of new defenders sitting on the bench and one of our best midfielders filling in at left back we unsurprisingly struggled.

Simunovic has shown quite clearly that he can do fine domestically, but is nowhere near the answer in Europe, but was asked to yet again fill in at the back. We have a a guy at right back who has showed up ok so far, but again is a cheap option we are hoping will work out so it means we don’t need to spend the sort of money we should be spending on what has been a problem position for a few seasons.

In short, we hope to get by in these games rather than act beforehand and bring in the sort of guys who will give us a far better chance and this is down to the board. Quite why it takes us so long to get our business done I don’t know. Do we even plan to up the quality levels or are we just hoping that 7-0 wins against domestic opposition will be good enough to appease the fans?

It will be interesting to find out why Jullien and Bolingoli weren’t playing.

As disappointing as tonight was, I couldn’t help thinking how much we would get taken apart if we did make it into the CL group stages. We are so open that even half decent teams can get in about us. Great to watch going forward but the midfield giving an already dodgy defence little protection.

God knows what Brown was playing at for the penalty and Bain is starting to look like a guy who shouldn’t be first choice for a club like us.

Overall, it’s been a piss poor night and the concern is that there could be far greater problems ahead if we don’t show some much needed ambition with the quality of player we go for.

Minty likes this.
  3. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Lennon takes the blame tonight, along with that uncharacteristic error from Broony, for the penalty. Thought it was job done when we went 2-1 up and 3-2 up, but it was a car crash of a performance all round. McGregor at LB really stifled us, and Bain fills me with little confidence too. I feel utterly dejected.

4. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I should have mentioned how gutted I was for Edouard as I think he was tremendous and has been great for us in the first few weeks.

I wonder how long we will have him around as he is well capable of playing at a higher level and will rightly be thinking that we can’t give him what he needs to progress his career.

5. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

As I've been saying on here for years, the biggest opponent we have is ourselves. We choose to take backwards steps on a regular basis and rarely if ever build from a position of strength. We know we're going to be involved in these fixtures yet every year we go in under prepared. It's simply not good enough. We didn't knocked out by a freak result or a bad refereeing call or the likes. We got knocked out by being complacent from boardroom to dugout. We really need to change the ethos of the club and that will start with a total overhaul at boardroom level. No matter what people think of Lawwell and some of the good things he has done, he has been there too long and for a guy who earned £70k per week last year, he does not do enough to justify that. Thanks for your time Peter but it's time to step aside and get someone in who's main concern is how we can be the best team on the park and not how we can nurture players for lesser EPL teams.

6. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    ****ing shambles.

Worst managerial performance I have seen in a long time.

Once again we gambled and failed.

£10 million worth of defenders on the bench, more than the value of the Cluj squad.

Don't let anyone sugar coat it, that was an embaressing result.

Lawwell needs to go and if Lenny doesn't get into the EL he can go anaw.

7. Andrew

Andrew Broken leg stuff

Supports:
    Brighton
    Just watched the highlights, some of those goals were just cringe that Celtic conceded. A bizarre evening. Celtic in the past few years have fallen asleep a bit imo, and now it's catching up with them.

When you're in a position of strength in football you should always try and strengthen further. Celtic haven't done this in recent years to the extent that they shouldve done

pvm66 likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It’s always been our problem.

It’s cost us before and it’s costing us again now.

For me there is a real disconnect between the board and fans and it may come to a head this season.

9. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    If we fail to beat AIK or Sherif I think everyone from Lawwell to Lennon better find a bunker.

It's embaressing that once again our lack of planning has let us down, Lennon on the night got everything wrong, if he was a player he would have been subbed after ten minutes.

There is a template to beat this Celtic side now, started by Hearts a couple years ago, followed on by AEK and Rangers at Ibrox... Press in numbers and arses collapse.

We have great technically gifted football players who could go on to a higher level but collectively together they don't have a fight in them when teams get up in their faces.

10. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I sometimes think this is the case, but there are recent examples of us coming from behind to win games including the cup final and again last night we fought back. The problem is that you can’t keep doing that and certainly not when you have a makeshift defence. Certain individuals need to take a look at themselves when the going gets tough and Ntcham for me is in that category. He has still to prove that he doesn’t have the heart of a mouse.

The other big problem this season is whether we persist with Scott Brown in midfield. On the one hand I wouldn’t want to be going into a game at ibrox without him there, but at the same time I think he hinders us a lot of the time due to him being limited. Again there should have been a plan in place to have a successor which was probably the idea when we failed to get McGinn. Look how that one us biting us.

A lot of issues to be sorted out and there could well be a storm brewing, but this is when real leaders step up to the mark.

11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Celtic rejected our second bid for Tierney on the 15th July. Maybe if you'd accepted that deal instead of holding out for more money up front, you might have been able to bring in more talent to improve your squad and not crash out of the CL.

But I'm sure that pat on the back for getting more money will be a comfort to you all...

12. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

You are criticising a football club for trying to get the best deal they possibly could for one of their players, which they managed to do?

Of all the things you could pick to have a pop at I would say that’s fairly far down the list, if on it at all.

13. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    And in the process, made life harder for yourselves when it actually came to the stuff on the pitch. £25m sitting in the bank won't help you on the pitch. Maybe if you'd taken the offer at the earlier date, you'd be able to strengthen your side and not crash out of the CL now.

So many clubs are doing this in this day and age. Letting ego get in the way of doing what's sensible. Far too much value is being placed in making sure you're not getting bullied, making sure you look strong for the fans, making sure you get good money. None of that helps the cause when you're on the pitch.

You 'dug deep' and got the deal you wanted for the sake of an extra £7.5m up front. Now you've just lost out on £12m by not qualifying for the CL group stages (as well as the other money received through wins and draws)...the bigger picture gets lost when ego takes over.

14. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

You clearly don't know much about Celtic. It doesn't matter when the Tierney deal went through, we will not spend much of it and the only thing last night will show is that the club will now claim that we can't attract players as we're not in the CL etc. The whole remit of our current board is to sell as many of our players for as much as we can and then buy far lesser players in the hope we can get lucky and find one. For a couple of seasons it actually looked like we were going to change that but alas we have went back to our old ways and last night is what we get for doing so.

15. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

An extra £7.5m up front may be pennies to Premiership teams but it’s a lot for clubs up here. There is no way I’m going to criticise the club for that deal.

I very much doubt that anything about our negotiations on that deal had any impact whatsoever on us going out of the CL in any case.

Our general lack of forward planning allied with managerial and player incompetency are the reasons why we are out of the CL.

16. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    Thats just a lot of pish.

Minty likes this.
  17. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    A nightmare last night and if we're appointing blame mine is going to the manager. You dont take the guy that makes us tick out of the midfield and play him left back. We were the better team but couldn't defend, i firmly believe we'd have dominated the game more and dictated it better with McGregor in where he belongs. Not buying the stuff about not having the players, that squad should be beating Cluj, shit happens in football and it didn't happen.

On top of that i'm sitting with 6 flights to Prague in two weeks time

18. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    We have money and the ability to spend even if we hadn’t sold Tierney, so your argument is irrelevant.

We should have been able to beat Cluj at home too, with our current squad, so again, your argument is irrelevant.

19. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

At last someone has taken action against the "small minority" and Uefa have told Rangers that they are closing part of their stadium for the return leg against Legia on Thursday night for their sectarian behaviour against a team from Malta.

No doubt Klan2012 will release a statement saying how Uefa have got it in for them as well rather than deal with the problem, which in truth they can't as it would see 90% of their hordes excluded from games.

20. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    You are ****ing warped