1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Championship clubs in cups

Discussion in 'Championship' started by SpongeParr, Aug 24, 2021.

1. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    There isn't too much being spoke about so might as well open a discussion for the clubs that are still in the cup. No doubt a couple of clubs will go on a run.

EFL cup continues again today. It's the cup that no team wants to get knocked out of, especially by a lower league team ... but in the same breath, it's good for most teams to get knocked out!

We have Oxford tonight and we'll be resting players. We have had a fair few injuries so we'll be resting players for Coventry on Saturday. I do want us to go through, but I can see why a number of fans think the cup is a distraction; we have a small squad and we aren't going to win the cup.

I would love a cup run though. Being a QPR fan, I haven't seen a run in the cup. Even in League 1, the cup for lower leagues, we did shit in. Win a couple of games and we get a day out at Wembley. We'll probably lose against Oxford but I think the game has a bit of extra tastyness (word?) due to he 86 cup final. I think there was a lot of trouble back then as well so there's a bit of an edge against the older generation. No idea if Oxford fans have the same thoughts.

If there is more than 8k there I would be amazed.

2. tiltontrev

tiltontrev **~Key Worker~**

Supports:
    Small Heath Alliance
    Fulham at home tonight for us, they won’t need the two available stands we currently have!! I will be seriously surprised if there is >5000 in attendance, I don’t know a single person who’s going.

It’d be nice to have a little run in the cup but with the current dramas surrounding the club I suspect another home game will be seen as a bit of an unneeded distraction.

I expect we’ll quietly exit, 2/3-0, and that’ll be that for another year.

3. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Bournemouth come to Carrow Road tonight.

Would normally be a time to spam squad players but our pre-season getting ganked by covid means we'll probably still be looking to get minutes in legs, not to mention attempting to build some confidence after Liverpool and Man City. We've not started with 4231 yet but I can see us resting Gilmour for the sake of an extra attacker today. My guess would be;

Krul
    Mumba - Hanley - Gibson - Williams
    Lees-Melou - McLean
    Rashica - Dowell - Tzolis
    Pukki
    Or maybe I'm wrong and it will be a full second side;

Gunn
    Mumba - Omobamidele - Zimmermann - Williams
    Sorensen - Rupp
    Hernandez - Dowell - Tzolis
    Sargent
    If we're not chanting 'it could have been you' (going into the next round of the cup) at Phil Billing tonight I'll be a bit disappointed.

4. Delilah

Delilah Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Stoke City & England
    Doncaster at home for us. I would imagine there will be a lot of changes for us tonight

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  5. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    I’d expect an easy win for you even with a second string. We’re going to be resting players from our already threadbare first 11:laugh:

Will be nice to be back at the Britannia for the first time since our conference play off final win

6. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    Funny how many teams are saying that they don't have many players. Are injuries worse than usual or is it because so many clubs are skint, they can't afford to waste money on players who do not play that often?

7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    We've basically got rid of a load of overpaid deadwood and not been able to replace them with anyone

8. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    *Donning my best Yorkshire accent* Squad players - luxury! :)

To be fair our thin squad is starting to get thicker, but it's probably a couple of weeks before we're able to give a full account of ourselves. Tonight we'll either go with the same slightly thrown together side we're using in the league so far (which could be positive for tonight as they're doing quite well), or we'll be going full on u21s squad (which could be ugly). We might see 1 or 2 new faces or returning pros for some minutes in legs, but the main thing for us tonight is more game time for some young lads and please god no injuries.

9. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Will be different for all clubs but Norwich lost £35m through Covid, so I'd say it's that everyone is kind of skint right now. In theory the parachute clubs should have an even bigger advantage this season than last.

Earlier on in the summer I put together what our a and b sides would look like and was surprised at our depth. Just 2 years ago we'd have had a significantly weaker second string, full of past it guys and youngsters that are no way near. Now we have good players like Idah, Hugil, Byram (okay, imagine a world where he keeps fit) and others in a 3rd team.Not much for the Premier League to worry about but we'll probably win this league with a record points total next year if we do go down.

10. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Turns out I was wrong and it is indeed much changed.

Gunn
    Mumba - Omobamidele - Zimmermann - Williams
    Sorensen
    Rupp - McLean
    Dowell - - - - - - - Tzolis
    Sargent
    No Hernandez even on the bench. Good signing for any Championship clubs looking for a winger there.

11. AFCB-Nutter

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    We appear to be playing 4-3-3 but without a striker. I think!

-----------Nyland
    Camp Cook Rossi Davis
    Pearson Kilkenny Taylor
    Brooks Marcondes Rogers

Bit of a mixture in there.

A feature of Parker to date has been to use our centre forward (Solanke) very deep, much to the bafflement of some. Going all out 'false 9' with 3 attacking midfielders will upset the traditional 4-4-f**king-2 chaps even more!

12. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    I bet you still have fans in the crowd shouting for it to be booted long despite building success on playing out from the back.

Ours is almost certainly 433. Although a diamond with Dowell at the tip and Tzolis pushing up alongside Sargent works in my head.

Tzolis is supposedly the next big Greek talent, Farke really bigging him up in a presser recently saying he thinks he can be one of the best in thwe world (with time). From what I've seen of him he looks much more like a Buendia than the out and out winger Rashica who most saw as his replacement.

AFCB-Nutter likes this.
  13. AFCB-Nutter

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I see this is going well! :fail: 3 down at half time. I'm told the first was miles offside! :laugh:

14. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Unfortunatly I'm watching on the wireless tonight.

Can't tell from this angle but if it is off then you'd have question the officials.

and it's 4. lol

15. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Great finish off the defenders arse?

16. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Look at the little stall on the shot. Calculated.

17. HappilyLost

HappilyLost Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    Just seen we're beating Cambridge 2-1 at HT with a competitive side against a team who are in League One.

Would be better for the league campaign if we lost obviously, but we have a big draw in the next game such as West Ham away we'll be happy.

18. AFCB-Nutter

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    6-0 by the end. What a game to try out your new keeper!

Well there's nothing else for it, that looks/sounds like a shitshow. Yes experimental side, but a result like that does nobody at the club any good, be it the debutants playing or even the players rested.

Hopefully get a reaction on Saturday. I'll be up at Hull but couldn't do today thankfully, fair bloody play to those to did go tonight.

Good luck Norwich!

19. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    +1 goal difference for the week then.

At least Nyland is backup.

20. ForestRob

ForestRob Formerly roberth1117

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Our kids crushed by Wolves reserves - tells a story of where we are as a club.
    23% possession and no shots on target for a 2nd game in a row - unforgivably bad.