1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea vs Man City

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by njmcfc1894, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    You’ve not liked people tipping Chelsea one bit

City were the team to beat last year and Tuchel won 3 times over Pep. It’s hard easy to see why pundits may have tipped us after we signed a £100m striker on top of winning the CL and besting City a number of times.

2. GrantCFC

GrantCFC Born is the King

Supports:
    Chelsea
    We have a run of winnable games on paper but these games are where we struggled last season under Tuchel.

Now really is the time to see how we improved as a whole.

3. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    These are the games I expect Lukaku to show his worth. Not an elite striker for me but excels against weaker opposition.

GrantCFC likes this.
  4. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Seems strange to be paying someone so much to be fourth choice.

5. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Would be stranger to leave a glaring weakness in the squad unaddressed when we lacked squad depth there last season.

He’s a far cheaper and relatively risk free deal to other options we could have considered and if it works out we can sign him for £40m.

He wasn’t going to come on today whilst we were looking for a goal at the end of the day.

6. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    On a side note, can't you have a conversation without resorting to childish smileys on just one occasion?

People tipping any team as being the one to beat doesn't bother me, but it's not unreasonable to expect their reasoning to stand up to scrutiny. I simply can't see why anyone would predict Chelsea finishing above either Liverpool or City, and today shows why with one of those teams. Liverpool and City have got more players with experience of needing to do the business over a 38 game season, and both teams have managers who have won league titles outside of a one horse race, something Tuchel has yet to show he can do. Christ, we had our worst season in years last campaign, yet still managed to claw our way back in the end and finished above you. I certainly expect this one to be far better for us.

I certainly wouldn't rule out Chelsea winning the title, but I simply can't see why they were ever tipped as the favourites. Then again, we are talking about the likes of Shearer, as indicated.

#106 Pagnell, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  7. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Barkley, Baker and Gilmour (loaned out) all on the books and can play in midfield. You know better than me, but it doesn't look like an area of the pitch you are particularly short on.

Just feels like squad padding.

8. GrantCFC

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Tuchel not taking any blame in his presser. Poor from him.

He can blame poor performances but this type of negative approach affects players. Not just one game but often long term. We saw the same thing under Mourinho and Conte.

I hope we see the last of that.

9. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I honestly think you have a much more balanced squad, and will finish above City this season.

10. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Loftus-Cheek: Not done anything of note since done his Achilles and far from a defensive midfielder.

Mount: Not a defensive midfielder. Key player further forward (see Liverpool domino effect of moving players out of their key positions to cover positions they don’t naturally suit).

Barkley: Not good enough for Chelsea. Not a defensive midfielder.

Baker: Not good enough been on loan a number of years and won’t make the cut here.

Gilmour: Bags of potential but needs to be playing regularly to ever have a chance of reaching his ceiling.

Saul: Loan. Cheaper than signing a big money option (Rice for example). Can sign for decent fee if we feel it’s worth it.

Far from squad padding. We have a tonne of games this year with the club World Cup and Kante can miss weeks with injuries. Saul is a far better option to cover him then any of the names above.

11. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Why doesn't he play then?

12. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Get over the emojis. It’s 2021 ffs.

People tipped us over City because we comfortably beat them last season three times and won the CL. City haven’t signed a striker and look far from the side they have been a few years back.

People tipped us over Liverpool because they were average least year and haven’t made any big signings. We looked the better team at Anfield and I fancy us to finish above Liverpool at the very least this year.

Under Tuchel we’ve conceded the fewest amount of chances on goal and have created one of the highest number of xG’s. We were lacking a clinical striker so it’s easy to see why pundits have fancied us after signing a £100m forward.

13. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Because he’s still settling into the league. He’s not signed as first choice and Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic have all been fit so far.

He didn’t come on today because we needed a goal not a holding midfielder.

14. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    Beating City three times last season means jack shit, you still finished 19 points behind them. The idea you will finish above them now because you overpaid for a £100m striker that doesn't cut it outside of lesser opposition doesn't make sense to me.

And yes, we were certainly average. And still finished above you. Says a lot in my view, because I'd put money that we won't be average this season and will again finish above you, and by more than 2 points. Again, signing Lukaku isn't going to make the difference required.

It's all conjecture at the moment, but regardless it's lining up to be one of the best seasons in years with a lot of competition and the crowds back.

* EDIT - obviously, one of the wins against City didn't mean jack shit as it was the final of the CL. But in terms of the league you know what I mean.

#114 Pagnell, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  15. GrantCFC

Supports:
    Chelsea
    You were also incredibly confident City would beat us in the CL final so I’m putting money on us winning the league now. :laugh:

16. Tsurani

Tsurani Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Yet...Man City didn't win the Champions League title last season did they?

Lukaku is still a better striker than Gabriel Jesus, who while he did score today, is simply not good enough on a consistent level. Man City will be missing Aguero and wishing they had gotten Kane.

17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I hope you make number 81 that good.

18. gate17

gate17 Registered User

Supports:
    chelsea
    Deserved win for City…. Played well and dominated possession without really creating much in the first half. Then once they scored just couldn’t see us getting back into the game.

19. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    We're not missing the current Aguero and Jesus isn't a striker, more of a wide player now.

20. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    I was confident City would beat you, yes. Like most other people, so we're hardly talking my sticking my neck out. Anyway, Chelsea proved us wrong. Well done.

But there is a far cry between a single, one off game and 38 games when you're looking to finish above two teams that have taken around 100 points in two of the last three seasons. I don't believe you will do it.