1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Hughton sacked

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Daz_Blade, May 13, 2019.

1. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead The Lion of Judah

Supports:
    BHAFC
    If that’s the level of your ambition then fair enough. Thankfully our chairman isn’t setting his sites at being the new Stoke or Bolton, where finishing 17th every year is the motive.

Watford and Bournemouth finished comfortably midtable whilst playing nice football. The notion we should expect nothing more than what we saw last season is ludicrous.

You have no clue what you’re talking about, the same way if I said Barnsley would be lucky to stay up next year.

#141 BleedsIsDead, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Steve - Wfc likes this.
  2. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    You dont even have to spend big to move up the table.

We spent barely anything this Summer and got to our best position in 30 years or so. I hate fans saying "we should just be happy with being in the prem". What a load of shit.

Our owners for example have said this:

"We want to qualify for Europe, then we want to win the Europa League, then we want to qualify for the Champions League. It may never happen, but if you don't have that ambition and desire, what is the point? There really is no point,"

That pretty much sums up why Brighton got rid of Hughton as well. They want to aim high, otherwise what is the ****ing point.

3. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    If everybody's target is only staying up every season we might as well pack it in now.

I'd rather go down and watch us win games than be happy watching us get dicked every season just because the club gets loads of money for it.

miss_lfc and BleedsIsDead like this.
  4. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead The Lion of Judah

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Our CEO came out and said something similar.

Basically when you’re in the Championship the target is pretty obvious; get in the Prem. However once you’re up here you have to find another target because solely aiming to scrape survival every season won’t be good enough for the fans after a while.

It’s then a case of trying to find a target that is ambitious, but attainable. Whatever the club has decided on is obviously out of reach for Hughton. That me be a top half finish, it might be attacking football, it might be bringing through youth players*.

Whatever it is, they’ve made the right decision.

*Another problem with Hughton was refusal to give youth a chance. Connolly has just been voted POTY in the U-23 league. He got 1 minute in the League Cup and that’s it. Gyokeres has scored goals for Sweden at full international level and doesn’t even muster a league appearance for us. Even more ridiculous when they’re both attacking players & our complete inability to score should have seen them at least pop up as a wildcard option on the bench. It was f*cking infuriating :laugh:

Steve - Wfc likes this.
  5. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    While Bournemouth (and Swansea before them) have succeeded in the PL by playing lovely football, they played like that all through the leagues. It's a different kettle of fish changing it overnight while already in the PL. I can't think of many (if any) who've done it well.

Watford have done alright but I wouldn't put their style of football in the Bournemouth/Graham Potter bracket.

Hughton and Potter seem like polar opposites as managers. I think you'd be best phasing it out rather than changing the whole ethos overnight. Maybe that's what he'll do, but from reading the reviews he seems to have a pretty set way of playing.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  6. Griffin71

Griffin71 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea
    Lads Pulis is on the market and he is an elegant, Premier League proven manager who will suit you great.
    Also he’s Welsh, so if you were keen on stealing manager from Swansea, dream bigger and steal manager from the entire Wales.
    Please.

7. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    [​IMG]

8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    People talking about having more ambition than just staying in the premier league what do you think that means? Because even finishing 7th is basically just making up numbers.

It's frankly a stain on the game how low people's expectations have dropped in the top flight.

9. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    You'll obviously try and play the same you did with largely the same team - and I think you'll be OK. The first season was the 'hairiest' for us, with the players getting used to the division.

10. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Cup runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranniesTache likes this.
  11. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Fair point, and to be honest that's what i think too

12. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The game is a state and sadly is only going to get worse, and clubs have to be realistic. Aiming for 7th and a good cup run for most clubs is ambitious.

Jonny Ninja and FranniesTache like this.
  13. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Depressing init?

14. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It is. I know people might think that as a top 6 club fan I shouldn’t feel like that as my club enjoy the best of the situation from the league in its current state etc but I’ve 3 sons that are all Forest fans and it’s them who will never see football in this country as competitive past their current league. No fun in that is there.

FranniesTache likes this.
  15. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Indeed the mindset is as much a factor as the budget.

If you tell your players the aim is for 40 points, to fight for a draw against chelsea because its a defacto 0 points, and to scrape a 1-0 win vs relegation rivals, then expect the gutter from it.

16. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    I dont see any reason why ourselves, wolves, watford and everton can aim to break man utd, arsenal, chelsea next season, its gradual progression, and if succeed then CL qualification is a possibility.

Just because you finish say 7-10 in the league it doesnt mean thats your ambition. Not everyone gets what they want.

Even so to be aiming for 40 points past your second season means you probably deserve to be relegated if thats the peak of a clubs ambition.

Plus if you comfortable in the league it opens up more chances of a cup run. As you can trade competitiveness in the league for cup games.

17. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    In fairness to Stoke and Bolton they both played European football whilst in this league. They weren't making up the numbers every year.

I agree with the rest of your point though. Similarly I don't think there'd be much complaint if you finished 17th having a bit of a go.

Hughton is free to adopt any style of football he likes but if you play negative football you've got to be getting results to keep the pressure off you. It's one thing playing badly and winning 1-0, it's another watching it and losing every week.

Cups / qualifying for Europe - both dismissed by so many which I've never understood.

I think the days where you come straight up and have a chance of winning the title are probably long gone but every team can improve year on year.

There's no reason you can't gradually build the club and slowly close the gap to teams above you. Mentality goes against a lot of clubs who just settle.

18. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    [​IMG]

19. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Second season to be fair. I hadn't forgotten :cry:

20. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    Things are hotting up or should I say pottering up?

Hopefully all wrapped up by late Monday afternoon.