1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Club or country

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Hull lad, Jul 10, 2018.

1. AdzSAFC

AdzSAFC Chris Maguire is our King.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Well, that’s Google translate for you :laugh:

2. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Back to reality

3. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Country easily for me.

I love my club but this World Cup just showed another side to it for me. To see the while country behind the team, the moments when England won etc it was just amazing. The feeling of unity was unbeatable.

Dan likes this.
  4. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Club - although I think that often comes with age too? Often getting excited bout the national team is in your 20's to mid 30's.

Then you can't stand the thought of going out to watch the match and getting beer thrown all over you :D

5. KopMark88

KopMark88 Banned

Supports:
    Well who
    Club without a doubt

6. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Always club but it was nice to be excited about England at a tournament again for the first time since probably Euro 96 or maybe 2004.

I never felt the same buzz that I often get for big Liverpool games. Town was brilliant for the CL final and such a great buzz and atmosphere (before and during the game obviously not as much after). England in the final would have been great but not the same.

I'm quite fair weather with England so don't feel the thrill of someone who has had to sit through 2 or 3 years of qualifiers and friendlies to get to the World Cup. Between Iceland and Panama I didn't watch a single international. I think a lot had lost interest after recent tournaments though and the tedious qualifying campaigns.

7. PeteFromLeeds

PeteFromLeeds Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds United
    Country easily. Who can get excited about a team that's going to be stuck in the Championship for the foreseeable future and changes its entire lineup every 2-3 years?

8. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Who could be excited about anything to do with England for the 10 years preceding this World Cup? It also depends partly on what is actually happening on the pitch for club and country as fans crave excitement.

It's been a miserable 10 years to be an England fan, but the last month was great and the future looks better. Millions of people had basically given up on the England team under Hodgson and during another tedious qualifying campaign for the World Cup. Southgate was referencing a qualifier against Malta with a low crowd and fans chucking paper aeroplanes about all game before booing the team off.

9. Never Alone

Never Alone A Dull but Constant Drone

Supports:
    No
    To be fair, we have booed them off plenty of times before that!

I thought the paper aeroplanes was Slovenia at home. Although to be fair there was a couple on the trot where programmes were used to litter the pitch. I know Southgate mentioned Malta away where some fans shouted not very nice things at the coach and the team’s hotel. Which, to be frank, they could be forgiven for after what we were subjected to that night.

10. PeteFromLeeds

Supports:
    Leeds United
    I guess this is a different question to whether you prefer club or international football. The Euros and World Cup are way more exciting than the leagues for me, even if I was on Iceland's side when they beat England in 2016.

11. Hull City fan !

Hull City fan ! City till I die!

Supports:
    Hull City AFC
    Club - But I think that is mainly down to my Club never winning anything. If I was a Man utd (for example) I would say Country, as I would have seen my side win everything.

Having said Club, I have really got into England. I have been to the Nigeria and Costa Rica game, I have bought tickets for the Spain game and I am going to get (hopefully) Switzerland tickets at Leicester. Also wanting to become a travel member to do away games.

12. Berbasloth9

Berbasloth9 Registered User

Supports:
    Man united
    I am an Irish Man united fan but i would have man united winning over every day of the week.

Maybe it would be different if Ireland had a chance but if we get to a tournament it seems to be for the craic and the piss up.. The celebration if Ireland every won anything would be astronomical but still i would prefer united winning league or champions league.

13. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Not English then?

14. mattledud

mattledud Band

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Treason’s still punishable by death, you know.

15. PeteFromLeeds

Supports:
    Leeds United
    I always support the underdog :p (Especially when they're the better team)

16. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    There was a real sense of apathy around England that started under McClaren and peaked in the Hodgson years. The low point for me, more so than the nadir of Iceland, was the defeatism going into Brazil 2014 as soon as the draw was made. It was the sense that we may as well not bother because we won't get out the group and of course we were knocked out after 2 games, whereas whipping boys Costa Rica went through ahead of a beatable Italy and also beat Uruguay. If you haven't even got hope before a tournament (or a new season in terms of the club game) then it's just pointless.

Southgate was saying in the interview it was a case of winning the public around and getting rid of that apathy. I think that's what he's done better than anything, as he's got the public behind him and the team in a way Sam Allardyce wouldn't.

17. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    So if Leeds were playing Newport you'd support Newport?

18. PeteFromLeeds

Supports:
    Leeds United
    I don't think I'd care that much to be fair! I'd probably just stay away from social media that night if we lost ;)

19. mancityfan8496

mancityfan8496 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Club for me anyday.

20. Lord of the Ings

Lord of the Ings Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Agreed!

For me, it's easy. I support Liverpool. Anfield is home for me. I have no local team, and my country used to depend on Ibrahimovic, who always played like shit. As Sakho used to say - "Liverpool country".