1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CoD WW2

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by TAFKAP, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    What is this utter tripe?

I played the PC beta for a bit earlier today, and I swear the CoD franchise just gets worse every year. I have never known a PC game play so poorly - there are free to play games out there from 5 years ago that are less clunky and poorly designed.

I was so hyped for a WW2 shooter after I loved World at War, but my God this is a total let down.

Will still break all sales records though, probably.

2. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    That's for sure. I'll miss this one, not because of the scenario ( I like a good WW2 Shooter and am a "Wolfenstein" veteran (btw: New game soon too) but because I despise the "CoD Franchise" meanwhile. I played the early CoD and Medal of Honors but after bringing out a new version every year it was enough for me at some point (although, inconsequent as I am I still enjoy the Assassin's Creed Franchise which is (was) the same moloch with "milking the money" out of us with yearly "Updates")

3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Oh man, this was the first COD I was excited for in years.

Are you talking mainly gameplay or performance issues?

Edit: @Dirk I was thinking of giving the Wolfenstein games a go as they’re going quite cheap and look quite fun. There’s two out now and one due right?

Are they part of the “Return To Castle Wolfenstein” series?

#3 RM, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    Gameplay mate. I'll give it a bit more time later, as I haven't played CoD in years and maybe just need to get the feel for it again. However, it doesn't excite me as much as I thought it should.

5. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Best one was Return to Castle Wolfenstein but that's about 15 years old on the PC and PS2. The newer ones have never done it for me.

The last great FPS I played was Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The gameplay on that was sensational and since then FPS have lost their appeal for me. I don't know how many times a gamer can be expected to complete the same campaigns (Normandy, Arnhem, Battle of the Bulge, Stalingrad etc) before it's enough.

6. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    I like COD gameplay, but like you am quite unfamiliar with it now.

They’ve gone back to basics with guns and there’ll be no leapfrogging across maps with one jump like recent editions so it’s a start for me.

Have got right back into BF1 the last couple of days though.

7. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Yeah, I understand.

I think they need to focus on modern day war. It’s current and relevant and technology wise the most interesting.

I feel both BF and COD have thrown back to WW1/2 due to the outcry and the latest batch of COD games being set in the year 5,000 with ridiculous exo-suits offering silly abilities.

But that can easily get boring too, I find the guns in BF1 very boring to use, they feel outdated but are of course representative of their time.

Battlefield 4 is probably my favourite shooter for a while, and for me the series should sit around that time, let COD flick between eras like it does.

Adam likes this.
  8. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Wolfenstein (from 2009) is the successor of "Return to castle Wolfenstein" from 2001.

In 2014 there was Wolfenstein:The New Order and 2015 the standalone DLC: Wolfenstein: The new blood. Both are with B.J Blaczkowicz again but are now playing in an "alternate reality" similar to Philip K Dick's "The man in the high castle" or Robert Harris "Fatherland" novels. Anyway, it's still Wolfenstein for me (btw: I ordered always the US Versions of the early Wolfenstein's because for Germany the game wasn't "uncut" because of the Nazi Symbols which are not allowed here in a Videogame) ;)

9. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I played BF2 a lot on the PC and that was the best large-scale BF I've played. I never played BF1, BF3 was a disappointment and I never played 4.

I personally think a gritty, tense Vietnam game is long overdue. There was a game called Vietcong back in the early to mid 00's which had a brilliant single-player campaign and the Multiplayer was bare bones - no fancy gadgets, large jungle maps, relatively low health etc. One of those shooters that had you crawling through cover, slowly moving around because it was too dangerous to run around like a madman, I miss that.

10. Benzel

Benzel Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon Town.
    Quite enjoyed the beta on xbox last month and will be picking up my pre order in November

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    ah, yes, Vietcong. I loved sneaking in the jungle. Tense atmosphere. You had to watch every step otherwise you were blown away from a mine. ....Or do i mix this up with another game ?

Adam likes this.
  12. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I remember traps and mines a plenty. It really nailed it I thought. A similarly tense game would be welcome.

13. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Never played Vietcong but this was class...

9EE4864E-E71B-4318-AE01-9BE7F9491790.jpeg

Dan and Adz like this.
  14. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    I think that my problem is I'm playing the PC Beta. They haven't even tried to hide the fact that the PC version is just a rushed port of the console game. The beta servers are also really laggy at the moment, although I'm sure that won't carry through to release.

I'm enjoying the gameplay a bit more having given it some time, but I do think it's a shame that PC gamers are treated as second class citizens by AAA developers.

15. Digital Twisted

Digital Twisted Persistent & Explicit

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    The PC version is getting destroyed on Steam for being a horrendous console port.

16. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    That's exactly what it is. Clearly the console markets are easier to develop for and tend to sell far more copies of this kind of game; I expect it won't be long before some major houses ditch the PC format altogether.

17. Adz

Adz League One FOREVER.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Unreal game, played it almost non stop :laugh:

18. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Yeah it’s horrible on pc. My cpu has been bottlenecking when I’ve been playing it and it causes my game to jitter when bases etc. go off.

It might be good on console but not for pc. They need to sort out that fire shotgun too before many controllers are smashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Digital Twisted

Digital Twisted Persistent & Explicit

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    Which is ridiculous considering the two platforms move ever closer with each generation. The PS4 and XBO are essentially PC's. Sure by developing specifically for that two hardware builds you can maximise your code for it, that's always been the benefit of the consoles and how they can punch above their weight, to begin with, compared to an equally specced PC.

In the old days when console hardware was very different from PC hardware or very heavily modified PC hardware I understood the need to do that, and if you had limited dev resources perhaps you had to concentrate on one or the other. Activision is not one of these companies they have the resources to give equal development time to console and PC so it's just cheap and lazy and with the platforms moving ever closer together I no longer understand why devs continue to follow the old line of thinking.

Surely as things stand the best strategy is to code for PC first, as they all run on the same architecture, and then port over to console where you can THEN optimise for those hardware builds (I'm actually like 90% sure this IS how most games are made which makes it even more baffling), then it's just a matter of tailoring the UI's. Today's consoles are just PC's with the settings on Low/Med/High depending on the game, so how on ****ing earth you can build a game that runs in the state WWII does on PC is remarkable and to not even really try to UI optimise or anything is just incredibly lazy. If the claim is they don't have the time with the schedule they keep, then switch to longer dev schedules, you have 3 studios working on 3 COD games simultaneously, FFS get a grip.

Machida likes this.
  20. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    Desert Storm was awesome too.