1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this be our best one yet?

Discussion in 'Championship' started by JoeProblemo, Apr 16, 2018.

1. JoeProblemo

JoeProblemo Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    2013/14

With Derby Sat in the bottom half, we sack Nigel "Prodigal Son" Clough after 9 games. Appoint McClaren, a man whose stock is still rock-bottom in England, with that game from the 2008 qualifiers still fresh in people’s minds. Surge up the table averaging over 2pts a game. Completely freeze in big away games against (eventual auto boys) Leicester and Burnley, as well as drawing blanks in other games around the Late Jan to Early March Slump.

Pick back up to finish comfortably third. Head and shoulders above the play-off pack.

After beating Brighton 2-1 in the away leg, we then thumped them 4-1 in the home fixture to book our trip to Wembley against an ageing QPR side who limped over the line.

Dominate the game for 90 minutes, QPR reduced to ten men in the second half after Gary O'Neill tries to murder Johnny Russell who was through on goal. It just won’t go in.

It all comes down to this. Last 20 minutes. Better side. Extra man. Plus Extra time if we need it.

89 minutes, QPR have the ball in the Derby half for the first time in what seems like hours.

ZAMORAAA 1-0. Done. Bottled it.

2014/15

After the buzz of getting so close, we get some investment into the shoestring budget side the Clough assembled, and McClaren galvanized so well. New bumper contracts for Bryson, Martin, Hughes, and Keogh to ward off bids from the Premier League. New loan signing of highly rated Jordan Ibe. We sign last season’s star loanee George Thorne on a permanent deal, who then does his ACL within minutes of his first friendly. Out for the season.

First half of the season goes OK, as we sit second in January. Ibe is recalled to Liverpool, so we sign Tom Ince Darren Bent and Jesse Lingard to replace him. Not Cheap. Star Striker Martin gets injured. so does Bent. Our other two CDMs that we covering for George Thorne.

And between January and May we slump from 2nd to 6th.

It all comes down to this. The last game. We just need a point at home to Relegation strugglers Reading to confirm our playoff spot, and have a chance to salvage the season.

Bent misses a penalty. We lose 3-0. We somehow finish 8th. Bottled it (again).

2015/16

McClaren is sacked in summer after two huge bottle jobs in a row. Bent and Ince are singed permanently on big money. Former PE teacher Paul Clement is given the job, and the optimism is back.

Integral Midfielders Bryson and Hughes suffer injures in the first half of the first game of the season, rendering them out for months. Derby Spend over 10million on Deadline day on Butterfield and Bradley Johnson to replace them.

First half of the season goes quite well again, as we go top of the league at Christmas.

January blues are back as we completely shit out away at Burnley (again), during our usual mid-season meltdown. Clement spends more money on shite. Including 3m for Nick Blackman. and 2m for Abdul Camara who is really not very good.

Clement is then sacked a week into February.

Academy Director Darren Wassall takes over first team duties and has absolutely no idea what hes doing. We some how bumble over the line and finish in the play off places. Star midfielder George Thorne has his leg broken in our last home game and will miss the play offs.

Onto the Play off semi at home to an aging Hull side, who have been in shocking form for the past few months. and who we have beaten comfortably twice that season, (4-0 at home, and 2-0 away.)

It all comes down to this. We lose 3-0. (again) Tie pretty much over before the second leg has even begun. Bottled it (again).

2016/17

We appoint Nigel Pearson, as the start of our new era as its clear we need an overhaul. But it turns out he cant sell anyone cause everyone is either shite, or on huge money.

He loans our Top Scorer from the previous 3 seasons to promotion rivals Fulham. And Spends a combined 12m on Matej Vydra and Ikechi Anya from Watfords Reserves.

Pearson insists on playing 442 with two attacking MFs who cant tackle. It goes terribly. He is sacked after 9 games.

Now, our manager, (again) called Nigel (again) is sacked (again) after 9 games (again), so we appoint Steve McClaren (again) whos stock is low (again). We go on a brilliant run (again) and get into the play offs spots around Christmas (again) but after a shocking run of results starting in late Jan (again), McClaren is Sacked (again).

Derby finish 9th.Bottled it (again). Rowett is appointed late n in the season.

2017/18

Rowett wants to overhaul the squad but can’t, because they’re either shite, or on huge money (again). Is forced to sell our assets, Hughes and Ince to fund, and buys Huddlestone and Davies from the Hull side that beat us in 15/16. And tom Lawrence from Leicester for 7million.

After a ropey start Rowett find a formula that works, and manages to get the best out of the previously underused Vydra. We start to pick up points and at the end of January we sit second. We loan out former top scorer, Chris Martin, and buy Cameron Jerome form Norwich reserves. No one knows why.

Sam Winall does his ACL in January and he’s out for the season. Derby go on run 1 win 11 and drop to 5th in the table. Including a 4-1 thumping at home to bottom of the league Sunderland.

We then get beat away by now bottom (cause Sunderland leapfrogged them) not-won-at-home-since-September, Burton Albion. (Managed by Nigel Clough) This sees us to drop to 7th in the table, form being 2nd at the end of Jan...

Of the 5 clubs vying for the final 2 play offs spots, we have a game in hand.

It all comes down to this...

Could this be our best bottle job yet???

#1 JoeProblemo, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    JamesTyke and Riverside like this.
  2. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    The Forest lot are going to need a box of tissues reading this :laugh: :laugh:

Trent Mist and Dingle like this.
  3. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
  4. JoeProblemo

JoeProblemo Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    And Rightly so. We are hilarious.

Although they've been about 20 points behind us in each of these seasons and I'm genuinely not sure which i'd prefer.

Trent Mist and Dingle like this.
  5. Trent Mist

Trent Mist Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    It's actually a cracking post from @JoeProblemo

In fact, I like it so much I'm going to read it again

and again

and again :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JoeProblemo likes this.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None

Mmmm, it's a fair question. I honestly think that Forest have had the best of the deal in the last few seasons. True they've had the shadow of relegation giving them the jitters but they've even got away without that this year and had a comfortable season. Even though they've been even more shite than Derby in every respect (their recent goal scoring form has made Derby look like Barca) they at least aren't the laughing stock of the division and, quite possibly, the whole of English football.

It's a bit like when Celtic qualify for Europe every year and then go on to be a total and utter embarrassment every year, you have to wonder whether the prestige of getting there is really worth having the rest of Europe laughing at you. It's the same with Derby. Every year they flatter only to deceive and although Forest have done nothing for their fans to be proud of in the last five years (unless you count avoiding relegation on the final day of the season which they celebrated as if they'd actually achieved something - which, granted, was toe-curlingly embarrassing) their fans have at least had the misery of Derby to keep them entertained and amused.

All in all, given a choice, I'd rather be in the position of a Forest fan than a Derby fan right now. It defies belief that a supporter of a team that are so shite can actually take the piss out of a team that are vastly superior to them but that's the reality of it. Derby are utter shite and you can't blame their rivals for lapping it up. It takes some doing for a top 6 team to get hammered (not just beaten, hammered) by the bottom team in the table twice in the space of a couple of weeks. Not many people would have bet on that happening but Derby deservedly managed to pull it off.

7. Trent Mist

Trent Mist Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I just knew you'd have to pipe up Derby Boy.

8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None

I'm sticking up for you here. I'm saying it's better to be a Forest fan right now than to be the laughing stock of British (no, sod that..I mean English) football. I ain't kidding.

9. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Absolutely Clueless

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Heard of the backspace button mate?

10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    Yeah I've got their first album

JoeProblemo likes this.
  11. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Absolutely Clueless

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    :laugh:

12. Sean4393

Sean4393 Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    You forgot the bit where you were 2-0 up to us going into injury time and with six minutes added on we scored twice drawing the game 2-2 and stopping you from entering the automatic play off places and I believe (I may be wrong) going top.

13. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Forest hate you too

Supports:
    Forest
    Zamorrrrrraaaaaaa is the best one Joe. You deserved to go up that season and were the best you've been for years.

We've been shite with a buffoon running the club. Now we have a professional setup and some wonga from player sales we should improve from being shite (Although I dont know what to make of Karanka). You on the other hand have spent a bit and surely now you're going to have to balance the books (Presuming you don't go up).

I'd like to say you've missed the boat and I think Rowett will walk or get the sack so you could have more upheaval.

14. brobdignagian

brobdignagian Registered User

Supports:
    Derby
    the league is so shit , we could get a play off place by taking 5 points from the last 4 games
    1 vs boro
    3 vs barnsley and another point from either cardiff or villa