1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coventry

Discussion in 'EFL One, Two and Non-League' started by LordMegson, Mar 19, 2017.

1. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    Cor believe they'll be league 2

:fail:

2. Swindon_Chaz

Swindon_Chaz Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon
    We will not be far behind you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. DougWomble

DougWomble Registered User

Supports:
    Wimbledon
    On the one hand I want them to go down, as my ex was from Coventry (bitter, huh?)

On the other hand one of my few football-supporting mates in the town I now live in is a Cov fan, and he's been through an emotional maelstrom in recent seasons.

So while they seem doomed to go down, I hope for his sake they arrest their slide, sort out their ownership, and avoid descending into non-league.

4. Griffingreen

Griffingreen Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Love Coventry or hate them, this kind of thing just shouldn't be happening inside our game.

5. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Coventry and Leicester both left their homely old stadiums in the early 2000s for purpose built 32k new stadiums and both were in the Championship when they moved. Leicester were in all kinds of financial mess when they moved after relegation and actually ended up in League One before Coventry did. They could have easily gone the same way.

There's not many cases where a ground move has really failed. Darlington is the obvious one and that was an idiot owner. Coventry is the other obvious one. Coventry would bite your hand off to go back to Highfield Road tomorrow.

6. Foxin_Mad

Foxin_Mad Premier League Champions 2015/16

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Think the difference between Coventry and Leicester is that Highfield Road had more than enough capacity for Coventry, they never needed a big stadium, Highfield road just needed sprucing up a bit. Leicester on the other hand had outgrown Filbert Street, despite wanting to there was opposition to develop the league 2 standard East and North Stands the demand for tickets had been stable for around 10 years when the new stadium was built, always over 21k. Ever since we have moved we have averaged over 20000 every season, Coventry on the other hand struggled to maintain 16000 outside the Premier League.

#6 Foxin_Mad, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah, I remember thinking it was ominous watching Coventry's first game at the Ricoh (2005) which was in the Championship and there was loads of empty seats. From a quick look it was a 23,000 crowd against QPR and their highest league crowd that season was 26,000 against Wolves. You'd expect to fill the ground at least initially as a novelty. Leicester's first league home game at the Walkers was a sell out in the Championship and although the crowds fluctuated that season there was plenty of 30k+ attendances, whereas Coventry were pretty much getting what they did at Highfield Road.

It doesn't help that the Ricoh is miles out the centre and the team being in decline when they moved.

8. poacher

poacher Forza Walsall!

Supports:
    Walsall
    I'm assuming Leicester have always owned their current ground? Coventry have never owned the Ricoh and the whole move has been a disaster for them. To renounce ownership of your ground when you're already laden with debt was a ridiculous move. I suppose it was a gamble, but it's backfired massively.

9. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Sums it all up when Wasps could just roll in and take over the ground!

Mowgli likes this.
  10. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They were probably banking on a quick promotion back to the Premier League, then maybe use that to buy the ground and then sell out the stadium as a Premier League club and take advantage of the revenue streams of a new stadium. That's what could have happened, there was poor contingencies by the looks of it.

11. Foxin_Mad

Foxin_Mad Premier League Champions 2015/16

Supports:
    Leicester City
    For the first few years we were in a bit of a financial mess, we didn't actually own the stadium until quite recently. It was owned by and American Teachers Pension fund and cost quite a lot in rent. The Thai owners brought in when they cleared all the debt a few years ago.

The Highfield road move was strange as I actually thought it was quite a reasonable ground and held around 24000 which Coventry never really looked like getting on a regular basis. They also have to compete with the(more successful) Brum clubs to the West and the likes of Leicester to the east.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Why do think we got rid of the c***s!!

13. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I felt most sorry for any local rugby fans who probably watched them for year - just for them to up sticks and move on.

At least Saracens staying in the London area when leaving us (and again it was no loss for either club!)

14. YsraelZuniga

YsraelZuniga Registered User

Supports:
    Cov
    Probably worth clarifying that we sold out the allocation for that QPR game as far as the Police and Ricoh safety certificates allowed us to at the time.

The potential is there for the club (43,000 sold for Wembley for the Checkatrade Trophy so far) but the off field issues are so toxic at the moment, a lot of fans have (understandably) given up or are protesting against the current regime by not going.

15. The Rev Skyblue

The Rev Skyblue Registered User

Supports:
    Coventry City
    That's a good point Ysreal, the game was severly restricted as most of the stadium had a lot of work to finish it off, hence the restricted attendance.
    I can clearly remember that there was no ceilings finished on the part of the ground I was in, exposed ducting and electrical cables everywhere.
    As you say to sell 43,000 when we are bottom of league One winning just seven games all season just shows that if the warring parties came together the potential of the club is huge.
    We desperately need new owners and a break from the Ricoh to a stadium of our own, I cant stand seeing all the insects paraphernalia all over the place when ii go to see us play. Get a city centre site near the train station and the fun can start again

16. JackSUFC

JackSUFC Registered User

Supports:
    T' Blades
    Coventry City :laugh:

17. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    They've just won the Checkatrade Trophy. Well I guess that makes things all better doesn't it.

18. davep

davep The Alzheimer's club

Supports:
    The Wife
    Must have been nice to have a day out with a smile.
    Great stuff Cov and lets hope things improve next season for everyone who loves the club.

19. rogue

rogue B.a.n.n.e.d

Supports:
    bhafc
    Really sad state of affairs for the Sky Blues. A real decent club falling through the leagues.

As for Swindon that's funny. Everyone laughs at that tinpot club. It's so funny seeing them heading back to league 2. Shit club and fans, They can fook off back to the Tinpot league where they belong.

20. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Swindon have won the last two games! They have every chance of staying up now.
    Brilliant day for Coventry, a break from the other crap going on there.