1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curtis Jones - The Player England Have Been Waiting For All These Years

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Jefferson, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jefferson

Jefferson Registered User

Supports:
    England
    Funnily enough, I had been meaning to post (for months now) that I have been disappointed by Jones after the first few pre-season games (against weaker opposition). He seems to be constrained in his play (perhaps on instruction) but I would expect more energy from him - more oomph in his game. Strange at it may seem he appears to be putting less into it than he did last season in the u18s, when he should be sweating blood to impress and move on up. Also last season he had a good accurate shot in both feet, that ability seem to have strangely deserted him.

I'm wondering if he will get any time on the pitch tonight against Chelsea in the CC. If he does he needs to "go for it".

2. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Gutted he didn't get on the pitch against Chelsea, but I guess with Chelsea fielding a strongish side Klopp thought best not to and it was a close game too. If Chelsea hadn't have equalised when they did he'd have got the last 5-10 minutes maybe.

3. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Reading between the lines, it seems there may be concerns about Jones' off field focus. He won't be the first scally teenager to have problems in this aspect.

Also, Jody Morris expressed concerns (and not for the first time) about Hudson-Odoi's character and his reluctance to follow instructions on the defensive side of the game.

4. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Quick update on Jones - he has been looking livelier and running more in the last two games. Much more like the requirement.

Also Mason Greenwood - the most gifted young English striker out there is having another impressive season, having scored 10 goals already this season, many of them real quality finishes, as you might expect from a top quality player. He is a much more talented player than Rashford was at the same age (but that wasn't so difficult anyway).

5. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Some bold selections of youth players for the seniors by Southgate. People should beware some of the hype though. Pundits and fans alike usually overstate how well these players are doing. Sancho is a case in point. And that "encourages" a backlash when good results don't immediately appear.

Smith-Rowe started tonight for Arsenal. I'm wondering if he will be moved up to the u21s when the squad is announced (along with Foden). But I guess not Hudson-Odoi.

6. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Foden made his England u21 debut tonight and was very impressive. I know it was only Andora but he was really sharp and quicker moving than in the past - playing with a real intensity that seemed to "infect" the rest of the team. For all the talk about his need for first team football somewhere (say on loan) he has clearly progressed a lot at City from just training there with top players. I'm wondering if Curtis Jones is wringing out the same benefits training with similar intensity with Liverpool's first team. Then again, focus away from the training pitch is also crucial.

Also, good to see Reiss Nelson (of Arsenal) coming on looking so confident and playing well on his debut.

#26 Jefferson, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

8. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Morgan Gibbs-White is another one, coming on for the last half hour for Wolves against Spurs and showing great vision, composure and execution of creative passing. A very encouraging performance indeed. By the time England won the u17 World Cup, of course, he was a starter for them.

And it's looking good generally with (for example) Sancho and Nelson continue to shine, with confident performances in the top German league and Smith-Rowe and Foden giving good accounts of themselves in mid-week.

9. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    It's not many years ago that experts like Grahame Taylor, David Platt, Big Sam, 'Arry Redknapp, Lou Macari and also the press and TV pundits were saying that the technique of English youth players is nowhere near as good as it was over previous generations, all the way up to and including the previous "golden generation". And once they retired the future of the England team would be very bleak indeed, and we wouldn't be able to compete as before ..

During this time I argued against this popular view. Now of course the quality coming through isn't questioned (but of course opportunity at the top level is). It's interesting that since the season started England youth sides from the u17s to the u21s have played 27 games and only lost one (u19s) and drawn two (u18s).And you could argue the squad were much weakened.

10. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Of course you did.

It's a surprise England haven't approached you for a role in the coaching set up with everything you've got right over the years.

11. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    It is certainly a pity. But I will be putting up a thread on here, eventually, on the absolute necessity of coaches to train young players from a young age to gain competence in using both feet. The pitiful one footedness I see in every game I watch is shameful. I find it remarkable than some relatively bright spark in the coaching set up hasn't yet, after all these years, brought about this vital change. And the same goes at club level.

You could send them a copy, for the sake of the game. I might do some others as well, on other aspects of coaching needs.

Quick update:

In midweek Arsenal's Saka started for the first team. He did enough to impress but sadly his shooting was too timid. Still, hopefully a lesson learnt. Needs more “kick” and direction in his shots.
    Sadly Smith-Rowe picked up an injury and missed out.
    Hudson-Odoi started for Chelsea, but didn't take the opportunity as one might have expected he would have.
    Curtis Jones played in the CL u19s but looked like all that training with the first team hadn't benefited his sharpness and decision making at all.
    Phil Foden looked like he meant business once again. He really does have the right attitude required to push on.
    The apparent "boy wonder" 14 year old Shola Shoretire of Man U made his debut for them as a sub (in the CL u19s) but hardly got a kick. Obviously there will be many more chances for him as time goes by.
    The talented Mason Greenwood played a big part in Man U knocking out the previously unassailable Chelsea, scoring three goals in their 4-3 win last night in the Youth Cup.

12. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Did you watch it? He scored. Tbh Foden has an advantage on him getting to learn from KDB & the Silvas, & obviously Pep, & will probably turn out better.

13. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Indeed, I did watch the Jones game (and the others with the players mentioned) - I wouldn't have made my comment if I hadn't. Jones was a lot sharper than that last season - he should have improved, if anything, this year. I'm sure the training of Liverpool's first team is of a very high standard, very sharp and competitive.

My references to Foden are about his attitude and determination. Even in the final of the u17 World Cup final he was still running around like the proverbial blue arsed fly, going on leg sapping runs when he could have just laid the ball off. When other players were legless and waiting for the final whistle.

I'm thinking Jones needs to find similar drive and focus, he showed last season he has the running stamina. Maybe he needs to be back under Steve Gerrard's guidance - to knock him into shape. He needs to be ready to step up soon.

I've been wondering if Jones will be brought in for the FA Cup match against Wolves on Monday - but he'll need to have shown Klopp he is seriously "going for it".

tt's time he did!

14. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Looked poor last night

15. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Started off well but went a bit shite. It was a hard game for him to make his debut, I always think kids are best weaned in gradually whilst the remainder of the side is packed with experience, throwing a few kids in at once isn't the way to go, admitedly Hoever coming on so soon wasn't planned though.

He's shown enough for our youth teams to show he has plenty of class though.

BoroWill likes this.
  16. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Wasn't great nah, a bit of an unfamiliar role and the senior players around him were horrible too, had so little support or supply. All added up to a poor night.

He's got plenty of time. Although it is a sickener seeing players born this millennium starting already.