1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Richard, Feb 25, 2018.

1. screescree

screescree GGMU!

Supports:
    Manchester United, Hull City AFC
    Having 2 young kids is the perfect excuse to bikepack! Obviously I'm saying this without knowing how old they are, but get their sleeping bag strapped to their bike, little rucksack, and do a little camp out somewhere local.

Thing is, you've impacted your shoulder, which is an arse of a job to sort. I came off in January on some ice, and although Im fine, if I hang my arms above my head, its hurts that shoulder. So might be worth keeping an eye on it and keeping it stretched etc.

Ah well the issue with the brake lever is that its hydraulic, so you might have to replace the piston that's connected to the lever as well. But every brakes different annoyingly. I'd bite the bullet, and go into a bike shop, 'cos with the popularity of hydraulic brakes they might have a few spare broken sets lying around they can swipe a lever off or be able to fix relatively cheaply!

2. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I cycle to work and back every day (16 miles or so round trip). Not done it for long so will need to sort out some winter gear.

3. mattledud

mattledud Band

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Well, at least this will come in handy if Superman ever turns to petty crime.

4. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Well, it lasted a few months before it was tracked down to my garage when the theives came with their tools and got through the two locks and stole it. I really hope they put it up for sale on a local site.

5. Lord Cavendish

Lord Cavendish Happy Camper

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Hi mate I have been an avid cyclist for many years. Road, mountain, hybrid bikes. I have had a go at it all. I now ride a mountain bike a few times a week.

As for security mate, in my experience if a thief genuinely wants your bike then he will have it. All you can do is make it more difficult with multiple locks. I used to take my saddle and front wheel off and take them into work and never had a problem when i did that.

Pedal away. It is loads of fun and good for you.

6. screescree

screescree GGMU!

Supports:

ah ****, thats annoying :( Hopefully you had it on your home insurance?
    Keep an eye out with the local kids. The local bike thief here either sells the bikes on within a few hours to some muppet, or he sends them off with young kids to deliver them to other bike thiefs to sell on. Also, matt back spraying the frames and forks ,so it looks blank is another trick. If you can remember any parts your bike has, and you're willing to key the matt black of a bike that looks like yours outside the local tescos, you'll be surprised what you'll find. I've managed to get a bike back for someone that way.

7. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Sorry, just seen this!

I paid out for cycling insurance when I bought the bike which paid for repairs when I came off the bike (£400) and then paid out on the theft of the bike + accessories (£1300!). The £90 payment was well worth it... Dread to think how much it will cost next year.

No sign of the bike since then. Checked all the buying/selling sites including the social media ones. I think the pikeys are using them to ride around the woods near their caravans, if I went to look for it there I'd end up getting shot!

Just about to invest in my next bit of cycling equipment...

[​IMG]

Tacx Neo 2 + Road Bike + Zwift

Having read up on many cycling forums etc this is a very marmite subject! Many love it, many more seem to hate it with a passion. "Just get out on your bike". With young kids, one who has a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon, I find myself stuck indoors with nothing to do other than housework at weekends whilst he sleeps and my wife and daughter **** off shopping! This seems a nice expensive alternative. I'm now waiting for my british cycling membership card to arrive so I can get my 10% off at Halfords and pick it all up.

8. DarkBladeX99

DarkBladeX99 Owais Qadri

Supports:
    Real Madrid/Liverpool
    I do cycling but not yet

Monkey likes this.
  9. screescree

screescree GGMU!

Supports:
    yeah Ive seen a lot of diehards hating on them, but at the end of the day, if it gets you off the sofa, I really dont see the issue. They'd only complain if you was out on a ride with them complaining you hadn't had the training, hence why you was flagging and holding them up etc. Cyclists are a strange breed, dont get many sports that attracts the weirdos like cycling does.
    You get a lock with "Gold Secure" rating on it? Insurance companies love the Gold Secure locks... :)

Shame you havent seen your old bike about, but glad your Insurance company have paid up!